www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
 Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

RCC chimney
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umair_hashmi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: RCC chimney Reply with quote

hello every one..
m a student of PG in structural engineering..
and i am working on analysis of RCC chimney..

kindly plz suggest some good materials for my work including IS codes..
and i am not understanding how to proceed with my project..
kindly give me some suggestion how to analyse and how to model it in staad.pro..
eagerly waiting for suggestions..
anyone plz reply me
'
thank you
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RCC chimney Reply with quote

Dear Er Hashmi,

If your Guide does not know how to guide you in this, change the topic and select a topic in which he is comfortable. If you does not even know the IS code for design, how can you proceed? The IS codes are:

• IS 4998(part-1):1992, ‘Criteria for Design of Reinforced Concrete Chimneys’, 2nd revision, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi
  • IS 1893 (Part 4):2005, ‘Criteria for earthquake resistant design of structures’, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
  • ACI 307-08: Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete Chimneys  and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI 48331

Moreover instead of asking such questions, why can't you browse the Net to get the answers yourself?

Please read the recent paper also

Best wishes,
NS
umair_hashmi wrote:
hello every one..
m a student of PG in structural engineering..
and i am working on analysis of RCC chimney..

kindly plz suggest some good materials for my work including IS codes..
and i am not understanding how to proceed with my project..
kindly give me some suggestion how to analyse and how to model it in staad.pro..
eagerly waiting for suggestions..
anyone plz reply me
'
thank you

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Reddy-Jaiswal-Godbole-Wind and Earthquake Analysis of Tall RC Chimneys-2011.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Reddy-Jaiswal-Godbole-Wind and Earthquake Analysis of Tall RC Chimneys-2011.pdf
 Filesize:  205.26 KB
 Downloaded:  1655 Time(s)

umair_hashmi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you sir..
i knew the codes and recent papers also but dint get the clear idea.
and i wanted to know regarding modelling of chimney in staad. i mean any manual or tutorial if u have sir.
i dint get any on internet. and one more thing about the reference book by MR s n manohar also not available in net and our library so could you please tel me where can i find this book sir

thanking you
with regards
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Hashmi,

I have not used STAAD for the design of Chimneys. It should be modelled as a cantilever.

Full reference of the book you are searching is

Manohar, S.N. (1972),  "Design and Construction of Tall Chimneys", McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York.

It is out of print. You may ask your library to get it through inter library loan from IITs.

The book Reinforced Concrete Structures, Volume 2 By Dr. B.C. Punmia, Ashok Kr. Jain, Arun Kr. Jain, has an example of 66 m high Chimney.

Best wishes
NS

umair_hashmi wrote:
thank you sir..
i knew the codes and recent papers also but dint get the clear idea.
and i wanted to know regarding modelling of chimney in staad. i mean any manual or tutorial if u have sir.
i dint get any on internet. and one more thing about the reference book by MR s n manohar also not available in net and our library so could you please tel me where can i find this book sir

thanking you
with regards
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Hashmi,

There are two versions of IS:4998 (Part 1), viz. of years 1975 and 1992.  Both these versions are in existence which seems to be a goof-up by BIS.  The 1975 version is for the design criteria dealing with permissible stresses by working stress method, and the 1992 version is for the assessment of loads where detail procedure is given for the analysis of chimney for static and dynamic wind, both for along-wind and across-wind.  Normally the effects of dynamic wind load govern the design.  Seismic effect is generally not critical in slender chimneys, except for the top elevation of the chimney.

You can do analysis of the chimney by STAAD.pro for static along-wind only, and not for the other cases of wind load mentioned above, for which you will have to do it by following the procedure given in the 1992 version code, either manually (a tedious one) or by writing a program yourself for it.  

I trust you will find the above information useful.

With best wishes

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E)
Hashmi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: RCC chimney Reply with quote

Dear Umair Hashmi..,

You can find more details on

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7903

Regards....!
btgprasad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Hashmi,

Analysis and design of chimney should be per-requirment for your project and should not be your project problem.Project-problem-definition should be research oriented and need not be fully concluded with in academic year.

You may choose problems like

1)major controversies that remain with its behavior is the level of damping to be considered in the analysis.While one school of thought prefers to use the standard damping ratio as used for RCC (5–7%), the other school of thought is that since of its huge mass (due to its  self weight and lining) a major portion of the chimney remains under compression even under wind and seismic loading and thus remains un-cracked. Since propagation of cracking enhances the damping property of the system and does not occur in the major portion of the chimney, a much lower damping ratio of say 2% should be a more reasonable value.

2) Still there is ambiguity among the code what exact value to be taken for Response reduction factor.you may select any one of them.

3)Soil-structure-interaction

4)Quick approx across wind loads calculation curves.

Please also refer

1)"reinforced concrete chimneys and towers PINford"
2) Topics in "Dynamics of Structures & Foundations by Indrajit Chowdhury" and RCC hand book by Mark fintel

best of luck

btgprasad
Gowrishankar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Tall chimneys by S.N.Manohar Reply with quote

Dear Hashmi,

I'm having the pdf copy of "Tall chimneys by S.N.Manohar" book. I couldn't upload the book because of its size.

Please give your mail id. I will forward the book.

Regards
Gowrishankar.G
yumnamgirish
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tall chimneys by S.N.Manohar Reply with quote

dear Er Gowrishankar.G
     can u please mail me the book "Tall chimneys by S.N.Manohar" on my email yumnamgirish@gmail.com

with regard
                                             GIRISH

Gowrishankar.G wrote:
Dear Hashmi,

I'm having the pdf copy of "Tall chimneys by S.N.Manohar" book. I couldn't upload the book because of its size.

Please give your mail id. I will forward the book.

Regards
Gowrishankar.G
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tall chimneys by S.N.Manohar Reply with quote

Dear Er Gowri Shankar,

Do you know that it is illegal to distribute books like this? The publishing company can take action against you, if you are distributing copyrighted material in a open forum like this.

Best wishes,
NS
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Translation:  

Jump to: