www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
 Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Column Lapping

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caes
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Column Lapping Reply with quote

Dear Seffian,
At one of the site contractor left almost 50% bar  in no lap zone. Even in some case the bar is curtailed at column beam junction i.e. the lap starts from lower storey column and almost 60% is already embedded in concrete.

Is there any remedy for the same ?

To clarify the same a sketch is also attached.

Regards,

Manish

Column lapping.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.67 KB
 Viewed:  1107 Time(s)

Column lapping.GIF

thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er.Manish,

The sketch you posted does not convey any message. Also you did mention whether the concrete to the column and floor has been carried out i.e completed or not.

I persume that the fabrication is done but concrete has to be cast. Is it correct?
Also I assume the green column shows the left over steel.
Need to know how long the green colour bar is available in the column.

You can refer SP34 in which the overlapping for different size of column or the means of placing extra bars of upper floor columns with the lower floor columns.

I mean the way you have shown i.e the red bars inserted and overlapped with green bars (with tension lap will do). But try to place ties at the beam column junction. It is difficult but U type ties can be used .

Hope this will help.

T.RangaRajan.
caes
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Column Lapping Reply with quote

caes wrote:
Dear Seffian,
At one of the site contractor left almost 50% bar  in no lap zone. Even in some case the bar is curtailed at column beam junction i.e. the lap starts from lower storey column and almost 60% is already embedded in concrete.

Is there any remedy for the same ?

To clarify the same a sketch is also attached.

Regards,

Manish

To clarify A new sketch is loaded.

Regards

Manish

col-lapping-03.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.77 KB
 Viewed:  1084 Time(s)

col-lapping-03.gif

sknsrinivasan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Manish

we should not lap the column vertical bar at Beam column joint since the Maximum Bending stress will be more at the joint due to lateral forces As per your statement the column already cated If it has happened in one column we can remove the concrete If it has happened in all column we can't remove the concrete

My opinion try to lap the bar at mid height of column from next floor It should be staggered that means the centre to centre distance of the lap should not exceed 1.3 times of lap length For more clarification Refer IS 456 26.2.5.1 b

As per the latest Drafting code IS13920 we can lap the column vertical bar 100 percent at one section but lap length should be 1.3 times lap length

In the laping zone you ties spacing should not be grater than 150mm

Thanks
N.Srinivasan
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er.Manish,

Now you have put the correct picture of the situation. From this it is clear that engineers like you do ask without furnishing full and clear data and I also wasted my time in replying just by assuming many facts.

Kindly let others also whoever reads this post, take note to post with full details to get clarification.

I am not point any mistakes but this is not a good way to get help from others. Pl remember it is a free service in the forum and consider their valuable time and energy.

Well. Coming to your problem Er.Srinivasan has given an apt reply.

T.RangaRajan.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Translation:  

Jump to: