www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
 Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Shear wall design using STAAD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrachiThube
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

Dear All
               I am designing shear walled building using STAAD for the first time.I have modeled shear walls using plate element but I am unable to extract the result for design.
       I have attached a small STAAD file, will somebody elaborate with reference to attached file how to extract design values of   Pu, Mx and shear force for design?
Thanks in advance!
P. Thube

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
STAAD input file.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  STAAD input file.zip
 Filesize:  6.11 KB
 Downloaded:  2694 Time(s)

Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
venu
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

Dear Thube
Exactly where you are getting the probem. I haven't get any problem to get the plate results.

Follow the steps below.
1. Run the analysis
2. Got post processing mode.
3. Select the plates which you want results.
4. Got the reports----plate results.....plate stress.
Regards
venu

--- On Fri, 5/12/08, PrachiThube <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: [SEFI] Shear wall design using STAAD
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Friday, 5 December, 2008, 4:33 PM

Dear All
I am designing shear walled building using STAAD for the first time.I have modeled shear walls using plate element but I am unable to extract the result for design.
I have attached a small STAAD file, will somebody elaborate with reference to attached file how to extract design values of Pu, Mx and shear force for design?
Thanks in advance!
P. Thube

Attachments:
STAAD input file.zip

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Posted via Email
PrachiThube
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

Dear Venu

We get Mx, My, Mxy (in kN-m/m), SQx, SQy (KN/sqmm)

How to calculate reinforcement from this?

P. Thube
struct_tech
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

hi Prachi,
Kindly model the shear walls as surface element rather than plate element.(available in version 2007)

regards,
siddharth

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 venu wrote :
Quote:
Dear Thube
Exactly where you are getting the probem. I haven't get any problem to get the plate results.

Follow the steps below.
1. Run the analysis
Regards
venu

Quote:

Dear All
I have attached a small STAAD file, will somebody elaborate with reference to attached file how to extract design values of Pu, Mx and shear force for design?
Thanks in advance!
P. Thube

Attachments:
STAAD input file.zip (http://www.sefindia.org/forum/files/staad_input_file_198.zip)

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now. (http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_messenger_6/*http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/)

Siddharth Subhedar

Posted via Email
Arunbabu.S
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

Dear Mr. P. Thube

1. First check the orientation of the plates in which every plate should be in same orientation and if it was correct the force flow will be proper.
  2. After analysis, extract results for the wall which you are designing. Staad will give results in the form of Mx, My, Mxy, SQx, SQy, Sx, Sy & Sxy.
  3. From the moments you design the reinforcement required for the wall.
  4. Check the provided reinforcement is sufficient from the stresses Sx, Sy & Sxy.
  5. Sx & Sy are the membrane stresses in X and Y direction.
  6. For Vertical reinforcement you check the stress Sy is less than 0.4 Fck, if it was less then provide minimum reinforcement of 0.12% of gross Area.
  7. For Horizontal reinforcement you check the stress Sx = Tv, which is shear stress along X dir. Check Tv < Tc for the provided vertical reinforcement. If Tv > Tc then provide suitable horizontal reinforcement for the stress, else provide minimum reinforcement of 0.2%.
  8. While designing be careful with the sign convention. (Tension +ve & Compression –ve)

Experts please correct me if there are any mistakes.

Regards,

Arunbabu.S

Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 4:34 PM

Dear All
Thanks in advance!
P. Thube

Attachments:
STAAD input file.zip

"This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T ECC.If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC DIVISION"

Posted via Email
PrachiThube
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

Dear Sir

Thanks for answering my query! Laughing

I am attaching excel sheet of the plate analysis output and tried to

Calculate Pu, Mx, My And Vu.

Please let me know whether my approach is correct or not?

Shall I design the shear wall as biaxial bending column using interaction

Charts for calculated values of Pu, Mx, My (And Vu)?

Thanks Confused
P. Thube

Use online scanners
PLATE ANALYSIS OUTPUT.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PLATE ANALYSIS OUTPUT.zip
 Filesize:  4.18 KB
 Downloaded:  1844 Time(s)

ajeetkokil
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

Dear Prachi

I am not sure whether your out of plane axis is X or Z. Whatever, it may be, say X, please equate moment of resistance of the plate w.r.t. steel i.e. (permissible tensile stress * area of steel * lever arm) and get the area of steel required. Rest of the stress parameters are required to check the plate agaist shear.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Ajit

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 PrachiThube wrote :
Quote:
Dear Venu

We get Mx, My, Mxy (in kN-m/m), SQx, SQy (KN/sqmm)

How to calculate reinforcement from this?

P. Thube

Ajit Shankar Kokil

Posted via Email
sudipnc
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

Hello P. Thube,

From the analysis point of view, there is no problem if you model the shear wall as plate elements. However, if you want the design of the shear walls as well, you need to model the shear wall as surface elements. A surface element is a collection of plate elements and the whole collection is treated as an entity for design. The plates are only designed for out-of-plane bending. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Sudip

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 PrachiThube wrote :
Quote:
Dear All
Thanks in advance!
P. Thube

Attachments:
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/files/staad_input_file_198.zip

Posted via Email
M.ANBARASU
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Mr. Dhube
while to design a shear wall by using staad pro. you can use surface elements to create shear wall.after analysing it. you can design by using only BS & ACI codes by using staad pro. staad is not supporting for IScode?
with regards
m.anbarasu
lecturer in civil engineering
Government college of engineering
salem-11
tamilnadu
jagadeshkannan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shear wall design using STAAD Reply with quote

struct_tech wrote:
hi Prachi,
Kindly model the shear walls as surface element rather than plate element.(available in version 2007)

regards,
siddharth

hi siddharth

wats the reason behind modeling shear wall as surface rather than plate

regrads
JK

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 venu wrote :
Quote:
Dear Thube

Follow the steps below.
1. Run the analysis
Regards
venu

Quote:

Dear All
Thanks in advance!
P. Thube

Attachments:
STAAD input file.zip (http://www.sefindia.org/forum/files/staad_input_file_198.zip)

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now. (http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_messenger_6/*http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/)

Siddharth Subhedar

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Translation:  

Jump to: