www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Daily Digest Thu May 22 23:00:01 2003

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2003
View previous topic :: View next topic  
softech
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Daily Digest Thu May 22 23:00:01 2003 Reply with quote

Dear All,
Regarding the reply given by Mr.Shekhar Panandiker,Consulting Structural Engineer
of Goa, I wish to inform that I have more than 20 Years of consultancy experience in addition to 6 years of Research and Development Experience.  Even then we are paid only Rs.1 - to Rs.1.50
per sq.feet as fees,which works out to only 0.25% of RCC construction(assuming it to be Rs.500-600 per sq.ft.). It is because we have to compete with several persons such as: Engg. college
Professors and Scientists in Research Organizations(which do consultancy on a regular basis since the Govt. is not fully supporting their activities), Engineers employed in Govt.
Organizations(many of them do part time work at a very low fees since their bread and butter is met by their salary- They also have lot of spare time since Govt. offices are over-staffed and
have less work to do in the office except a few!), Ofcourse other Consulting firms, Diploma holders, Architects(who think they can design themselves), Masons, etc. Due to this we can't insist
on our rates,since a person is always available for the client who can do the work at much cheaper rate. Unfortunately, no one bothers about Quality of work and does not care about
qualification or experience. Please read my article on the above subject which was published in Civil Engineering and Const. Review,Oct 2002, pp.47-51.
I also support  the Petition  given to Rajya Sabha related to the Chartered /
Professional Engineer Certification . I would like to thank Er. Suraj Singh for taking the initiative. But I also feel that  the Institution of Engineers ( I )  should takeup this matter
seriously and clarify to the members the validity of Chartered Engineer and Professional engineer Certificates.
Dr.N.Subramanian, Ph.D., P.E., F. ASCE,
Computer Design Consultants,
Chennai 600 017

Posted via Email
himali.joshi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Daily Digest Thu May 22 23:00:01 2003 Reply with quote

Dear Shekhar Panandiker

Apart form the Project Cost, what are the other factors, on which the
Consultancy Fees can be determined? Can it be Lump Sum? As far as my
knowledge is concerned, fees can be determined on various factors such as
Direct and Indirect cost (Overheads, Staff Remuneration, etc). How do one
arrive at 1% to 3% of total project cost? can you please throw some light on
it?

Himali Bhatt

Posted via Email
Raju.Malagi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Daily Digest Thu May 22 23:00:01 2003 Reply with quote

Dear Himali Bhatt,
Fees to be paid depends on the quantum of work that a client expects from
the consultant. For example - some clients ask only for a structural design
as they have inhouse teams to carry out supervision. Whereas at some points
we have to carry out exhaustive work like preparation of tender,
finalisation of rates of the contractors, checking of the contractors bills
etc. apart from preparing design drawings.Generally the total coast of a
project is arrived  by taking the toatl built up area into the construction
cost. The construction cost depends on the type of specifications of the
materials that are used.eg. for a noraml residential block with standard
specifications, the cost per square metre works out to around Rs.6500 to Rs.
7000/-Sq. Mts. The real problem in our profession, as correctly pointed out
by Dr. Subramanian  is hiring of egineers in govt. service or some under
qualified people who normaly carry out such jobs at very very low rates &
hence clients are normally not inclined to pay structural consultants their
dues. I hope i have clarified your doubts.

Shekhar Panandiker,
Consulting Structural engineer,
Goa.

Posted via Email
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2003 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: