www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Foundation of Old Buildings

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuMex
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Foundation of Old Buildings Reply with quote

How can we know the type of foundation used in a very old building where there is no drawing available? We want to add some additional floors and some other elements.

Can we some kind of scanning or x-rays?
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Foundation of Old Buildings Reply with quote

Hi Er Mex,

If you do not have drawings, it is very difficult to know what has gone into the foundation. You may dig a few pits around to know the size; may use NDT techniques(I am not sure about their effectiveness in such thick elements) to get the reinforcement details. But anyway, it is tough and difficult.

Best wishes
NS
BuMex wrote:
How can we know the type of foundation used in a very old building where there is no drawing available? We want to add some additional floors and some other elements.

Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Foundation of Old Buildings Reply with quote

Hi Er Mex,

If you do not have drawings, it is very difficult to know what has gone into the foundation. You may dig a few pits around to know the size; may use NDT techniques(I am not sure about their effectiveness in such thick elements) to get the reinforcement details. But anyway, it is tough and difficult.

Best wishes
NS
BuMex wrote:

suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Very Old Buildings Reply with quote

Very Old Buildings
Certainly not RCC.
Such buildings do have stones, bricks, brick tiles foundation.
Wide thickness of walls.
Dr NS sahib has rightly suggested to chase out certain width say 600 mm anywhere & see various offsets while reaching down to 4 to 5 feet.
I am sure that nothing less than spread footing would be revealed.
Mortar would be Lime based.
But, when such building is too old say more than 25 to 40 years, better to rebuild.
Regards

sdec.in
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Foundation of Old Buildings Reply with quote

Dear SEFI friend

Adding floors for a very old building is a very bad idea, especially when you know nothing about foundations, soil type etc. and should not be taken up, according to me. The scanning or Xray will not work for establishing the foundation type, sizes and reinforcements etc.Besides, you will need to enhance strength of your existing columns and beams (which in a building under use can be a nightmare, even with Fibre wraps, as you need to break walls close to columns to wrap the material around columns).

How about creating an independent structural system for the new floors?

regards
Sangeeta Wij

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:21 AM
Subject: [SEFI] Foundation of Old Buildings

Posted via Email
prof.arc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Foundation of Old Buildings Reply with quote

Quote:
This is the BEST Solution.
Do not tinker with the existing (old) building.
The above suggestion is used extensively in Mumbai.
For example, please visit Parsi Colony, Dadar to see so many such
buildings if you are a Mumbaikar.
ARC

On 6/8/10, sdec.in <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
Quote:
Dear SEFI friend

Adding floors for a very old building is a very bad idea, especially when
you know nothing about foundations, soil type etc. and should not be taken
up, according to me. The scanning or Xray will not work for establishing the
foundation type, sizes and reinforcements etc.Besides, you will need to
enhance strength of your existing columns and beams (which in a building
under use can be a nightmare, even with Fibre wraps, as you need to break
walls close to columns to wrap the material around columns).

regards
Sangeeta Wij

Posted via Email
shiven2004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear sefians

to start with new structural system or foundation ,such that it circumscribe your old structure will be a good idea ....

i have personally an issue with my house in village .. where i am purposing a new foundation to go for higher level .... but thing is that you have to use your brain to provide architectural beauty ..... i am working on this and may be in future i will have
modified house in village that will be with multiple floors and old one will be also preseved .

thanks
regards
shivendra kumar  
sakumar79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this context, I have a doubt... When upper floors are constructed on new footings/columns, at the existing terrace level (and may be other levels also), there will be connection of existing building to new building... Now, the existing building, especially if it is a bit old would have completed its settlement... But the new building above will settle... This should be carefully considered while providing the new building... Otherwise, the differential settlement can lead to cracks.. What kind of precautions are to be taken?

Arun
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Foundation of Old Buildings Reply with quote

CBRI, Roorkee might help regarding literature/agencies/ informations on NDT for existing structure
and foundation status

vikramjeet

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: