www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

dissertation topics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a121s
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: dissertation topic Reply with quote

hello brijesh sir,

Its my pleasure that you are ready to help me in completing my dissertation work, as i have said in my earlier post also that i want to design a perticular building for blast resistant  using our indian codes and available material technology, want to study the bahaviour and propose suitable design, i will need your kindful guidence in completing my dissertation work. i would like you to please give me the steps that i must follow and techniques by which i can proceed.please suggest some books or materials from where i can be familiar with the topic, my email id is shishir.kadam@gmail.com

thank you sir
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Shishir,

Nice to know that you are very much interested in working on this topic.

Firstly, I will like to narrow down the scope of the topic to the blasts in Petrochemical Industries only. Generally, vapor cloud explosions are likely in petrochemical industries and important buildings like (Control Building / Substations) are supposed to be designed for the same.

You can refer following books / standards
1. ASCE Manual for the blast resistant design in petrochemical facilities
2. Introduction to structural dynamics by Biggs
3. IS 4991: 1968
4. OISD 163

Try to refer "ASCE manual for the blast resistant design". It is like a bible for the blast resistant design in petrochemical facilities. I will work out the steps for the blast resistant design for your shortly. Meanwhile you can start looking into following

1. Get familiar with the theory of vibration. You can refer any standard book for the same e.g. Maria Paz or A K Chopra etc
2. Get familiar with non linear time history analysis - Refer Chapter 7 in Maria Paz, specially look into the algorithm for the non linear time history analysis. We will need this for finding out the response of structure
3. Get familiar with 1 programming language. Try to choose language like Fortran or MATLAB (I think matlab is better, but its upto you).

I will get back to you with specific procedure shortly.

You can also mail on my personal mail IDs
yogesh.pisal@akersolutions.com; alltimepisal@gmail.com  (try to mark to both ID's
My mobile number is 9819937723

Let me know, if you have some doubt. Kindly update your guide about the consideration of blasts in petrochemical facilities only.

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
a121s
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: dissertation topic Reply with quote

hello yogesh sir,
  I m very thankful to you for giving me necessary information regarding the topic, sir , in my 2nd sem i had given a good seminar on design aspects of terrorist resistant structures, i have well versed with with the 2 indian codes those are IS 4991-1968 & IS 6922-1973, as i had chosen this topic for my seminar that time only i thought of doing some project in this particular field, so i wanted to design a building as terrorist resistant taking under consideration the highest possible intensity explosive that a terrorist can carry and propose a design for that, later i refined my idea and thought that, why i must not design for the intense explosion that takes place more intense than the terrorist activities, like petrochemical explosion, gas explosion or any under ground explosion
or those explosion which takes place in nuclear plants etc.., so sir i m glad that u understood my area of intrest and suggested me the guidlines, as you said to be well versed with dynamics, ya i will be doing it and sir i know the matlab programming and i m also well versed with the indian codal provisions, thank you for giving me your mail id and contact no., i will surely contact you and  i m sending you my seminar so that you can know the my work, my intrest and dedication to my job of work.

thank you sir
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Shishir,

I have gone through your seminar. You had a good literature review. You can present your seminar on SEFI (with the permission from your guide), so that others will also get benefitted from the same.  

For your thesis you have to concentrate on numerical simulation. Glad to know that you are familiar with IS 4991 & IS 6922. Though these are age old codes, but still they will help you out in understanding equivalent SDOF simulation of different components of buliding i.e. Wall, Roof, Shear wall, beams, columns, slab etc.

I will strongly recommend you to go through the blast resistant design chapter in Biggs, non linear analysis chapter in Mario Paz for understanding the numerical simulation. Further you have to read the ASCE manual for the blast resistant design in petrochemical facilities, it will give you insights to the type of blasts, blast pressure, analysis & design for blast.

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
a121s
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: hello sir Reply with quote

hello yogesh sir,

I m very happy to get a positive comments regarding my work in my previous seminar works, i have already started studying those chapters which you have suggested me to study from various book. I will surely upload the seminar and even my guide will be happy for it...

thank you sir
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Shishir,

Nice to know that you have started reading the topics. I would be more happy if I could have assisted you in round table discussions. Anyway, we will now manage with the present resources only.

Let me know, if you have any difficulty in finding suggested literature.

I will suggest you further details through mails. Try to give me your mobile number or call me, so that we can discuss in detail.

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
a121s
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: dissertation topic Reply with quote

hello yogesh sir,

I have given the topic of my dissertation work to my guide, now they will review all the topics given by our class students , to see weather any repetation of same topic is their in present and also in the past batches of the college history,  as they want to have totally new topics, so by the time i get a clear green signal , i will be studying those above said books and topic & later immediate contact u after my project topic gets finalised

thank you sir
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Shishir,

You can contact me if the topic is finalized by your guide. But, I will suggest you to propose very simple and pin pointed title like

"Comparitive study of Static & Dynamic methods of analysis for blast resistant design in petrochemical facilities"

I know that there is very little research component in aforesaid title, but I am proposing this title by considering the job opportunities available in this area. Most of the companies working in this sector needs to handle blast resistant structures and there is very little knowledge in the industry about the different static & dynamic methods of analysis for blast loading. Further, there are too many things for you to learn in this work.

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
a121s
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: dissertation topic Reply with quote

hello yogesh sir,
The title that you have suggested is really awesome, i will surely give this title only, because during our seminar i am damn sure that they will ask me to give the comparative studies between static and dynamic analysis of my thesis if i would have given different title, so its better to give such title where in no such complications can come. really its a good title , thank you sir. Sir, can you please suggest me some other topics which can be unique and demanding one, so that i can contribute to those field . actually i want to be on safer side if my intrested topic is not accepted. sir, u have a wide exposure in many fields so please suggest me some othe topics, i have found few of the topics as stated below and if u can suggest some more topics which are hot in structural engineering field then it would be a better for me during submission of seminar topic , if my topic gets rejected.

1. Optimisation of structures.
  2. Punching shear in flat slabs.
  3. Long term deflection of concrete beams/slabs.
  4. Modern methods of construction.
  5. Pushover analysis– cyclic loading, deterioration effect in RC Moment Frames in pushover analysis
  6. Analysis of dynamic structure in environment industry
  7. Theoretical study on High frequency fatigue behavior of concrete
  8. Seismic analysis of interlocking blocks in walls
  9. Estimation of marine salts behavior around the bridge structures
  10. Prefabricated multistory structure, exposure to engineering seismicity
  11. Shape optimization of Reinforced underground tunnels
  12. Properties of Fiber Cement Boards for building partitions
  13. The use of green materials in the construction of buildings
  14. Finite element model for double composite beam
  15. A new composite element for FRP Reinforced Concrete Slab
  16. Effect of shear lag on anchor bolt tension in a base plate
  17. Elastic plastic bending, load carrying capacity of steel members
  18. FE Analysis of lateral buckling of a plate curved in nature
  19. Green energy and indoor technologies for smart buildings
  20. Study on strengthening of composite bridges
  21. Strengthening effect for RC member under negative bending
  22. Effect of negative Poisson’s ratio on  bending of RC member
  23. Long term deflections of long span bridges
  24. Structural damage detection in plates.

Thank you sir,
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Shishir,

I feel that you should insist your guide / institute for allotting the topic of your interest. But, still if you feel that there are chances for rejection (for whatever reason) then you can consider follwing topics also.

1. Machine Foundation - Comparitive study of different methods of analysis
2. Study of interaction effects between structure & equipment
3. Effect of friction dampers on the response of structure.

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: