www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Rgd. liquid retaining structures

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anu.
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Rgd. liquid retaining structures Reply with quote

While modelling any structures in staad material properties assigned is concrete.Do staad analysys validate for liquid retaing structures coz for liquid retaining structures M30 grade of concrete is considered.
i mean material properties such as youngs modulus, poissons ratio,Desnity will change....
rajancivildesign@gmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: STAAD MODEL FOR WATER TANK Reply with quote

Normally while modelling  geometry for liquid  retaining structure only concrete can be assigned. During deign stage,  you can input concrete M30 for liquid retaining structure. In STAAD it is difficult to design the liquid retaining structure because there is no provision to input limiting permissible steel stress 115N/mm2. I have designed a Counterfort Retaining wall to retain sea water act as Forebay for Thermal Power Station. Staad model with design is attached for your reference.
V.M.RAJAN.
anu.
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much sir for your response.
so can i come to conclusion that analysys has nothing to do with the concrete properites .If so concrete properties in staad material properites such as youngsmodulus exists wer youngsmodulus..is dependent on grade of concrete.
you should excuse me if i am asking very basic question.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The STAAD input file for the analysis of a water tank of size 6mx4mx2.5m resting on ground & open at top is attached. Walls and bottom slab thickness is 0.20m. The support at ground is modeled as springs with subgrade modulus assumed as 30000KN/m3 (IS 2950 Part-I) for medium sand of N = 20, which when corrected for size and shape comes to 8185KN/m3. 250mm x 250mm square plate elements are used for modeling.
The moment values available from this analysis do not tally with those from our conventional methods ( including IS 3370-IV ). Kindly check the analysis to bring out the shortcomings (conceptual & procedural) of it.

Regards,

E S Jayakumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: