www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Outstanding philospohers in Structural Mechanics(4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Kani's Rotation Contribution Method Reply with quote

Thanks Eng Chowdhury for your response
I have tried to formulate this method on excel, which successfully could perform using 3 cycle rotation on many framing systems
It just takes few seconds to vary values & obtain results

Indrajit_Chowdhury wrote:
Dera Er. Singh,

Other than Hardy Cross's method Kani's method is also used by many for frame analysis, but I peronally find it more laborious than moment distribution and possibly so do many.

Kani'ws method is  also a numerical method and no doubt an important one too, but Prof. Hardy indeed remains pioneer on this issue.

There is also another numerical technique called Takabeya's method(named after Fukuhawa Takabeya), that is popular in Japan but not used much out side their country.

If one observes one would see these are all a derivatiove of Hardy cross's principle in one way or other.

Thanks

IC

vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Outstanding philospohers in Structural Mechanics(4) Reply with quote

Manual design era - - -

Kani's method was used for gravity load analysis of frames as well as lateral loads
It takes into due account of unsymetry and results were very accurate. Whereas Gravity load
analysis take two to four cyles for balancing , the Lateral load analysis was very  
time taking with as large as 10-12 cycles.

Kani's method for symetrical structure

If symetry falls at middle of member(E.g some middle beam in a frame)
For symetrical structures , the method was further simplified by taking the  
stiffness of member(i.e I/L) as Half the actual stiffness(i.e. I/2L) for sym section cutting the member in two
halves, and analysis of Kani can be done for one half only

Similarly if symetry sec falls on joint at mid of frame cutting the structure into two halves , the joint can be
treated as fully fixed and analysis of Kani can be done for one half only.

This way Kani's method was further eased .

Next to that was Two Cycle Method for gravity load analysis. Results were obtained  
quickly with acceptable accuracy but effect of unsymetry in geometry was not accounted

For lateral load analysis, the quick methods were Portal method, D'Mutto's method etc.

We must thank Er IC for reviving the History of structural engg along with life of structural  
philosophers. Kindly keep it up.

best regds

vikramjeet

Dera Er. Singh,Other than Hardy Cross's method Kani's method is also used by many for frame analysis, but I peronally find it more laborious than moment distribution and possibly so do many.
Kani'ws method is also a numerical method and no doubt an important one too, but Prof. Hardy indeed remains pioneer on this issue.There is also another numerical technique called Takabeya's method(named after Fukuhawa Takabeya), that is popular in Japan but not used much out side their country.If one observes one would see these are all a derivatiove of Hardy cross's principle in one way or other.ThanksIC
-- ­­

Posted via Email
kjagannadharao
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Outstanding philospohers in Structural Mechanics(4) Reply with quote

Dear Er Vikramjeet,

I would like to add one more point. Errors in calculations, if any, get rectified in further cycles in Kani's method (though it may take additional cycles for convergence) unlike moment distribution method. This is due to the fact that the iterations are carried out on rotation and displacement contributions only in Kani's mathod.

Regards,

Dr.K.JAGANNADHA RAO

To: general@sefindia.org
Sent: Wednesday, 31 October 2012 7:37 PM
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Outstanding philospohers in Structural Mechanics(4)

Manual design era - - -

Kani's method was used for gravity load analysis of frames as well as lateral loads
It takes into due account of unsymetry and results were very accurate. Whereas Gravity load
analysis take two to four cyles for balancing , the Lateral load analysis was very
time taking with as large as 10-12 cycles.

Kani's method for symetrical structure

If symetry falls at middle of member(E.g some middle beam in a frame)
For symetrical structures , the method was further simplified by taking the
stiffness of member(i.e I/L) as Half the actual stiffness(i.e. I/2L) for sym section cutting the member in two
halves, and analysis of Kani can be done for one half only

Similarly if symetry sec falls on joint at mid of frame cutting the structure into two halves , the joint can be
treated as fully fixed and analysis of Kani can be done for one half only.

This way Kani's method was further eased .

Next to that was Two Cycle Method for gravity load analysis. Results were obtained
quickly with acceptable accuracy but effect of unsymetry in geometry was not accounted

For lateral load analysis, the quick methods were Portal method, D'Mutto's method etc.

We must thank Er IC for reviving the History of structural engg along with life of structural
philosophers. Kindly keep it up.

best regds

vikramjeet

Dera Er. Singh,Other than Hardy Cross's method Kani's method is also used by many for frame analysis, but I peronally find it more laborious than moment distribution and possibly so do many.
Kani'ws method is also a numerical method and no doubt an important one too, but Prof. Hardy indeed remains pioneer on this issue.There is also another numerical technique called Takabeya's method(named after Fukuhawa Takabeya), that is popular in Japan but not used much out side their country.If one observes one would see these are all a derivatiove of Hardy cross's principle in one way or other.ThanksIC
-- ­­

Posted via Email
jatfuentes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Outstanding philospohers in Structural Mechanics(4) Reply with quote

Mr. Indrajit_ Chowdhury

You are rigth, Kani and Takabeya´s method both are derived from the idea of Hardy Cross. The problem with Cross method is that is easy when you have beams
and maybe a building with 3 storys , but if you have more stories, you need to solve a system of simultaneus equations depending of the number of stories of the building.
Say 10 floors. This was a problem in era of pre-computers, you needed to solve a system with 10 unknowns, one for each lateral degree of freedom, today is easy but you need to solve one Cross for each story. In 1978, this was to much labour, and in Kani method you no need to solve any system of equations. I know that Takabeya is faster than Kani, but I never used.

jatfuentes

Em Seg 29/10/12 09:26, Indrajit_Chowdhury escreveu:
Quote:
    Dera Er. Singh,

Other than Hardy Cross's method Kani's method is also used by many for frame analysis, but I peronally find it more laborious than moment distribution and possibly so do many.

Kani'ws method is also a numerical method and no doubt an important one too, but Prof. Hardy indeed remains pioneer on this issue.

There is also another numerical technique called Takabeya's method(named after Fukuhawa Takabeya), that is popular in Japan but not used much out side their country.

If one observes one would see these are all a derivatiove of Hardy cross's principle in one way or other.

Thanks

IC

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: