www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Design of Post-tensioned Prestressed Box Girder Bridge

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Dams and Bridges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkballa
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Design of Post-tensioned Prestressed Box Girder Bridge Reply with quote

Dear sefians,

I am new to sefindia.org. This is my first post in the forum. I have been designing mostly RCC T-beam bridges for sometime. For the current project I am working on required a use of >50 m span. By doing cost analysis, PSC box girder is deemed more economical than Steel Truss. Someone else designed the 52.5m PSC Box Girder with total depth of 3.5 m.

Coming to my question. I want to design PSC or RCC Box Girder in my own. How do I start. How do I select initial sections. How much prestressing cables do I select.

I tried to model the simply supported 52.5m Box Girder on SAP2000 v14 with all the prestressing cables. The BM profile due to DL is "negative at support"; BM due to prestress is zero throughout. Did I miss something on modeling the Box Girder?

Thanks.

Biswa Balla
Bridge Design Engineer
B.V.Harsoda
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer below Link:-

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50225#50225
kamal
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi biswa,

as you mentioned that u are getting negative moment at support , that is true you are not doing anything wrong.

in posttensioned girders generally initial 2 m solid portion is called diaphragm , & u will get tension in this protion as the prestressing has reverse effect in this part. so this part is designed as reinforced not prestressed.

To start with the design u can take the depth = span/12 to span/15 , select web & bottom slab thickness with requirement of sufficient cover to prestressing cables.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Dams and Bridges All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: