www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

P Large Delta using storey magnifier method as per IS 800-20

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rameshwar Prasad
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: P Large Delta using storey magnifier method as per IS 800-20 Reply with quote

Hi All,

If i were to take into account P-Large delta using storey magnifier method  the formula mentioned on pg 276 in design of steel structures by Dr. N Subramanian gives the value of the "maximum end moment"
based on maximum first order end moment for a storey.

1. My main point of contention is whether all the columns in a particular storey are to be of the same size to apply this formula.

2. Are all the columns in a single storey to be designed for the same approximated "maximum second order end moment"?
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: P Large Delta using storey magnifier method as per IS 80 Reply with quote

Dear Er Prasad,

I do not have the paper by Chen and Lui(1985) with me now.Chen, W.F, and Lui,   E.M., Stability design criteria for steel members and frames in the United   States, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 5, 1985, pp.   31-74, Discussion by Vandepitte, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1986, pp. 76-79.

However, to answer to your question (1): it is not necessary that all the columns in a particular storey are to be of the same size to apply this formula.

For question (2) You will have the first order end moment from the linear analysis computer program for different columns. You need to multiply those values by the moment amplification factor in order to get the moment including P-Delta effect.

Best wishes,
NS
Rameshwar Prasad wrote:
Hi All,

If i were to take into account P-Large delta using storey magnifier method  the formula mentioned on pg 276 in design of steel structures by Dr. N Subramanian gives the value of the "maximum end moment"
based on maximum first order end moment for a storey.

1. My main point of contention is whether all the columns in a particular storey are to be of the same size to apply this formula.

2. Are all the columns in a single storey to be designed for the same approximated "maximum second order end moment"?
Rameshwar Prasad
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Doubt Solved!! Yet another raised... Reply with quote

Hi Dr. N

You know its kind of a privilege when the person, whose book you are referring solves your query. Thank You. If you dont mind i posted another doubt on the forum regarding P-small delta approximation for a beam column. i am pasting the URL of the link. Can you please sort that out too?

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15233

Regards
Rameshwar Prasad

PS You are a source of inspiration for many. Keep Inspiring!!!
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: