www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

A Dream To Become A Structural Engineer

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me_onnetwork
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: A Dream To Become A Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Hi Sefians,

I am a graduate in Civil Engg and in practice from last two years.
I am currently working on a hydro-electric project.
I am dealing with structural design of Power House/structures.
I always wanted to work as Structural engg. Only because I have worlked in hydro-electric project i have found that no company is interested in offering me a designation of a structural engg.

Please tell me only the engineers  who are dealing with multistoried buildings are to be called structural engg?

If at this stage of my career cant I join as a structural engg.

Please suggest.

Sakshi
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
aenaik
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: To be precise .......... Reply with quote

Hiya
<A>me_onnetwork !!!!!!!!

Its bit disappointing to know that even after you posessing a graduate in Civil Engg. you are not considered a structural engineer (As iterated by you).

There are two reasons as why companies might be doing so ....

1) Academicaly you do not hold Masters in structural engineering.

And more than that .............

2) May be you do not have required related work experince in which a particular comapny is working in.

I suggest you not to indulge in such kind of mythos .............

Look for comapnies related to your work experince and I am sure ... they should be more than willing to designate you as a structural engineer.

All the best and keep it going ....

As they say .... STAY HUNGRY , STAY FOOLISH ......
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Structural Engineer's Scope Reply with quote

Structural Engineer's Scope
Post graduation experience of two years in any discipline or branch of any discipline, does not equip any person to be designated as a full fledged responsible engineer. One may be on either on projects execution or one may be on designs.
It is suggested that budding engineer should attempt to learn profession rather than thinking of being designated on a responsible status.
Responsible status is attracted only after many years of post graduation experience.
Even, higher academic degrees, shall not help in achieveing higher status without attainment in field of profession.
In case, one is dealing on power plants, one is fortunate that varying works of design engineering provide many opportunities to learn.
No structural engineer can deal with all disciplines of civil engineering.
One has to be learned in one or two discipline of civil engineering.
Buildings discipline takes ones whole career to understand the buildings. It is not that easy. Structural Engineer's responsibilities are too widened. It is not simply designing. Should one do designs only, one shall be considered only design engineer & not structural engineer.
All aspects of structural engineering make one SE. It even includes architectural engineering which current SEs do not accept the responsibities of.
There are so many other aspects of structural engineering that should be known to  a true structural engineer.
QA is also too significant aspect of Structural Engineering.
Safety too is one of many other aspects.
Coordination also comes into play with all facets of other disciplines.
FEED knowledge too is required at higher levels.
Budgetry estimates too require SE knowledge.
Contracts & planning impacts too are required to be fully understood.
Foregoing is a part of full definition.
Regards

VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: New Year 2014. Reflections on our SE profession. Reply with quote

•   

• Left  Blank

Last edited by VPandya on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
            VPandya
            General Sponsor
            General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Year 2014. Reflections on our SE profession. Reply with quote

Dear SEFIA'S Ers. ,
            This is new year 2014 so I thought why not I do some reflections (Manan in Sanskrit)
            and  find out WHAT  KIND OF WORK  WE STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS DO FOR LIVING and WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES in doing a good job with Public Safety as the top priority. I think  we should do such reflections once a year at the start of a new year. I think we need to define our IDENTITY as Structural Engineers once a year. Here I collected some information. Please take a look at it and  comments.  

Basics:

From: Paper  "Structural Engineering"  By John  A. Schmidt  P.E. SECB

Web Link For Full Paper:

http://www.wbdg.org/design/dd_structeng.php

Typical Relationships of a Project  Team.

CASE (COUNCIL  OF  AMERICAN  STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS) TOOL 5-2
            Education:
            Educate all of the Players in the Process

Tool No. 5-2: Milestone Checklist for Young Engineers

Professional development of young engineers is crucial to a successful structural engineering office. This tool is intended to be a milestone checklist for young engineers to aid them in their career development including both technical and leadership skills.  The CASE RMP Tool Kitcommittee’s Tool 5-2, Milestone Checklist for Young Engineers includes the following elements:

Engineering, CAD and Computer Skills:

• Engineering Skills Checklist

• Leadership Skills:

• Leadership Skills Checklist

As the engineers accomplish each of these tasks, the date completed can be inserted next to the task.  This checklist can be used as a tool at eachof your employee’s evaluations.  
            As you use the tool, feel free to edit the list as you see it will best serve the needs of your company.

Emerging Issues in Structural Engineering:
            Emerging Issues
              • Structural engineers have a uniquely significant responsibility for protecting the public relative to the other design disciplines. Architectural, mechanical, andelectrical system failures usually result in unattractiveness, poor functionality, discomfort and/or inconvenience. A structural system failure almost always has more serious consequences, even in the best cases, there are often substantial costs associated with correcting what is or could become a life-threatening situation. As a result, professional liability insurance rates for structural engineers have been increasing, leading to the creation of the RiskManagement Program (RMP). In addition, efforts are underway to establish board certification at the national level and expand separate licensure at the state level to"raise the bar" of qualifications to practice structural engineering.
              • Blast resistance , Progressive/Disproportionate collapse,  of structures.
              • Fire resistance design of structures.
              • Learning from failure/ collapse of structures.  

• A copy of  CASE  TOOL 5-2 attached.  

A VERY  HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya P.E. ; S.E.
                Structural Engineer

•   

TBSPL_6
                    SEFI Regulars
                    SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Dream To Become A Structural Engineer Reply with quote

ER.Sakshi

never disappoint , where there is a will there is a definite way, i know your hunger , 1st of all you search for a very good consultancy , not limited companies .

and you have try for a such consultancy whic should deal industrial design , it almost enough for us to get sound subject by doing work such consltcy , they do rcc , conventional steel structures , hydal works ,irrigations works , silos, bunkers etc,.

you apply for that and quit present company , here in consltcy there is always a chance to do all works learn with passion till you get all works you cover .

after getting good stuff in these , you take SE license  with btec+5years exp or mtec+1years exp ,  then start consltcy it will be enough for a life , same time enjoy the work and be happy in life .

by getting exp in the rest  of structural topics you learn while running consltcy,
                    as learning is endless , time is less , life period is also less ,so first feel happy and confident take long breath thrice start the work step by step,if possible do mtec in part time programe in your near by location.

wish you all the best & good luck
                    Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
                    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: