www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Deflection check

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2006
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dipeshtanuja
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Deflection check Reply with quote

Hi friends,

i have 6.50m (s.s.beam 200x600mm) carrying 42.74 kn/m udl. My deflection check from formula 5WL4/384EI gives me value 1.38mm which is less than SPAN/350 that is 18.57mm.is ok. But my software RAPT which gives me warning that total deflection is greater than user define limit which is 20mm bydefault.It shows me 4 value of deflection.

1.Transfer deflection = 1.15 mm
2.Short term deflection = 17.4 mm
3.Incremental deflection = 14.2 mm
4.Total long term deflection = 28 mm

My question is deflection check from 5WL4/384EI is valid that is 1.38mm, shall i have to still increse section size by 200x750mm which gives me 18.5 mm total deflection value less than 20mm given by software. Shall we check according to total long term deflection not by 5WL4/384EI VALUE???

Best regards
Dipesh
dipeshtanuja[AT]red...

Posted via Email
satyam
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Deflection check Reply with quote

Mr. Dipesh,

we shall check the deflection limit w.r.to Total Deflection value only.
The deflection calculated through the formaula (5WL4/384EI)is Elastic deflection.
Span/350 is the limit for the longterm deflection due to Permanent loads.
Span/250 is the limit for the long term deflection due to Dead+Live loads.

Regards
Satyanarayana.J

-----Original Message-----
Message From  dipeshtanuja[AT]red... [mailto:dipeshtanuja[AT]red...]
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 11:56 PM
To: Satyanarayana J
Subject: Deflection check

Hi friends,

i have 6.50m (s.s.beam 200x600mm) carrying 42.74 kn/m udl. My deflection check from formula 5WL4/384EI gives me value 1.38mm which is less than SPAN/350 that is 18.57mm.is ok. But my software RAPT which gives me warning that total deflection is greater than user define limit which is 20mm bydefault.It shows me 4 value of deflection.

1.Transfer deflection = 1.15 mm
2.Short term deflection = 17.4 mm
3.Incremental deflection = 14.2 mm
4.Total long term deflection = 28 mm

My question is deflection check from 5WL4/384EI is valid that is 1.38mm, shall i have to still increse section size by 200x750mm which gives me 18.5 mm total deflection value less than 20mm given by software. Shall we check according to total long term deflection not by 5WL4/384EI VALUE???

Best regards
Dipesh
dipeshtanuja[AT]red...

DISCLAIMER:
This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T ECC.If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC DIVISION

Posted via Email
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2006 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: