www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Wide Column design.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
birjecivilman
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Wide Column design. Reply with quote

Dear all,

I am designing 18" x 96" wide concrete column for car parking, height of column is 12 feet. Please suggest any reference materials to design RCC column.  As per staad Ast required is 35.41 inch2. And for same loads manually i have calculated Ast it comes around 36 inch2
1. Should i follow staad result ?
2. Can i design as column or Basement wall?
3. Is their any size limitation for column.

Regards,
Manjunath
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide Column design. Reply with quote

Dear Er. Manjunath,

I think there is no limitation in ACI 318. Whatever the way you model / reinforce it , you have to satisfy strength and buckling requirements.

See also
D.H.H. Rohit, P. Narahari, Rahul Sharma, Arvind Jaiswal and C.V.R Murty, When RC columns become RC structural walls, The Indian Concrete Journal, May 2011.

Best wishes,
NS

birjecivilman wrote:
Dear all,

I am designing 18" x 96" wide concrete column for car parking, height of column is 12 feet. Please suggest any reference materials to design RCC column.  As per staad Ast required is 35.41 inch2. And for same loads manually i have calculated Ast it comes around 36 inch2
1. Should i follow staad result ?
2. Can i design as column or Basement wall?
3. Is their any size limitation for column.

Regards,
Manjunath
birjecivilman
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your valuable information sir.

Regards,
Manjunath
pathre_v

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="birjecivilman"]Thank you so much for your valuable information sir.
Dear all
I was just crosschecking a 43 storied building. The consultant has provided 260 thick flat slab with a column spacing of @ 8 meters.Column size up to 12th floor is 1100 x 1100 mm. with 25 mm re inf.
above 12th floor the size has become 500 x 2200.He has provided drop panel of 1500 x2800x 900 mm thick size on which upper column will stand.
The load on upper column is @ 20000 KN. Is this the correct way as upper column is going 31 stories.

Regards,
Vijay pathre
vegad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Vijay,

Quite funny arrangement. It is possible only if all the complications arising such stiffness modification is taken care of. In our field, the question of correctness lies only during mathematical treatment, or its not fair to judge correctness.

Please take care of following things:
1) Modeling shall incorporate the drop panel.
2) If the columns take part in stability, make sure the design forces are enhanced with respective provisions of codes.
3) column on 12th floor may have unusual reinf. demands at top ends, expect that; you may also have to go for higher grade concrete.
3) because of rigid joints of adjoining slabs with drop panel edge, slab may also have huge moments while interacting with drop panel; you may also go for bearing connection of slabs on shear nibs with adequate moment redistribution to spans.

All the best.

pathre_v wrote:

above 12th floor the size has become 500 x 2200.He has provided drop panel of 1500 x2800x 900 mm thick size on which upper column will stand.
Regards,
Vijay pathre
BVRAO
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the fallowing link

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14930
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Freshers' Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: