www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

queries on broms method

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandhya Pai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: queries on broms method Reply with quote

Sir,
I have been using Broms graphical method to  find the ultimate lateral capacity of pile. But I found that depth of a specific layer is not used anywhere in the charts. Irrespective of the depth of the soil layer the lateral capacity remains the same. Only the pile vertical capacity varies with the variation in the soil depth. Can anybody help me with this doubt of mine. Thanking you in advance/
Regards,
Sandhya Pai
Zia
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Engr Sandhya,

Please note that Broms method is generally applicable for uniform soil conditions. For multi-layered soil conditions you can use an average value of undrained shear strength (cu).  You can also consider using weighing factors for these layers to get an appropriate average shear strength value.

Ultimate capacity of short and long piles are affected by their lengths.  If you see the graph for short piles, ultimate capacity (Pult/cu b2) is given against L/b ratio (L : Length of embedment; b : diameter). Increase in L/b ratio increases Pult.  Also increase in eccentricity (or moment) reduces Pult.

In order to differentiate between short and long piles calculate the yield moment of the pile section and compare it with the max moment (along the pile length) calculated using Broms method for short pile.  If the yield moment is less than the max moment then the pile can be considered as short pile.

Regards,
Zia
Sandhya Pai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zia wrote:
Hi Engr Sandhya,

Please note that Broms method is generally applicable for uniform soil conditions. For multi-layered soil conditions you can use an average value of undrained shear strength (cu).  You can also consider using weighing factors for these layers to get an appropriate average shear strength value.

Ultimate capacity of short and long piles are affected by their lengths.  If you see the graph for short piles, ultimate capacity (Pult/cu b2) is given against L/b ratio (L : Length of embedment; b : diameter). Increase in L/b ratio increases Pult.  Also increase in eccentricity (or moment) reduces Pult.

In order to differentiate between short and long piles calculate the yield moment of the pile section and compare it with the max moment (along the pile length) calculated using Broms method for short pile.  If the yield moment is less than the max moment then the pile can be considered as short pile.

Regards,
Zia

Respected zia,
I was talking about the depth of soil layers. I have taken the average of the cohesion values for the different layers. Mine is a situation where top layer is cohesion less layer and bottom layer is cohesive layer. So I have found the capacity individually for both layers using both graphs and added then to get the total capacity. But I have noticed that whatever be the depth of cohesion less layer the capacity remains the same because depth is not considered in the graphs. I hope you understood my issue. Thank you for the reply.
Regards,
Sandhya Pai
Zia
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Engr Sandhya,

In this cast it will better for you to use P-Y method.
COM624P (Dos based software) for P-Y analysis is available at this link: http://www.vulcanhammer.info/drivability/pile-capacity.php and manual at this link: https://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=387213

Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Zia
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: