www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Applying Floor Load in Slab using STAAD pro

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> New Members make Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
udayakumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Applying Floor Load in Slab using STAAD pro Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

I am currently analyzing a residential building in STAAD Pro. While using the FLOOR LOAD option for applying load on floor slab, I am getting the following warning.

"Warning: about floor/One way Loads/weights
Please note that depending on the shape of the floor you may have to break up the floor/one way load in to multiple commands"

Accordingly I divided the slab in to multiple panels and applied the floor load with correct co-ordinates for each panel separately with multiple (series of floor load) commands in sequence. But still I am getting the same warning as above.

Kindly help me in solving this problem.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please upload your STAAD model....

E S Jayakumar
udayakumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

The staad model is enclosed for your review.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Doubt to SEFI forum.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Doubt to SEFI forum.zip
 Filesize:  373.93 KB
 Downloaded:  685 Time(s)

es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er.Udaykumar,
The mistake in your model is that you have chosen the Y Range erroneously. You had to count the same from the Origin. You had selected the Y range as 4-4.33, counting the Y value from the node below, the slab being at 4.27m from that node. In fact, the software will then search for any physical member (beam grid) in this range from the Origin and it will fail to find any. Thus, it will indicate Error / Warning.
      In a nutshell, you have to take the Y range from 0.00 level. That way, your slab is lying at 6.4m. You make the Y Range 6.00-7.00 and try. It will run. You need not have to attach any plate elements here. Remove all the plates and purify the input.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
udayakumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments.

Actually as per my model the origin for Y is the node immediately below the slab and hence the Y range is 4-4.33 only. As you suggested I edited the Y range as 6-7 and tried to run the model. But staad showed more warnings saying no element is available in that range and floor load could not be generated.

If you could get the result without warning with the modified y range as 6-7 kindly share the staad model to me.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that I have mistaken. Now only I noticed that your 0.00 level is at that node immediately below. Your Y range is absolutely correct then. I noticed that the analysis is running smoothly. I don't know the implication of the warning appearing. However, you might be getting the correct analysis and you can then proceed with the design, I hope.

E S Jayakumar
sakumar79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Udayakumar,
     You are probably using a slightly old version of staad. Nowadays, this Warning has been changed into a Note.

Warnings are not necessarily errors, but just a reminder from the developer that it is a potential error. In certain models, the area enclosed within a set of beams may not be a proper rectangle but some odd shape. When there are odd shapes, we need to carefully check the distribution pattern shown by STAAD to see if the load transferred to the beam is reasonable.

Further, if there is one portion of the floor with different loads than other portions around it (for example, a cutout in the middle or a toilet slab in the middle), the load applied for the surrounding slabs has to be split into two commands so that the enclosed area (cutout/toilet slab as per above example) will not be part of loop formed by the same command.

For example, let slab layout be
ABC
DEF
GHI
    with E being toilet slab and rest being normal slab. You will need to group A, B, C in one command, D in second, E in third, F in fourth and G to I in the fifth.

Note that you now have ability to assign floor load through member groups. In this case, you can group A,B, C and D in one group, F, G, H, I in second group and E in third group.

Hope that helps
Your sincerely
S Arunkumar
udayakumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sirs Er. Jayakumar and Er. Arunkumar for your reply.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> New Members make Test Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: