www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Point of fFixity in pile foundation design
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Er. T. Rangarajan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saikiran gone
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Point of fFixity in pile foundation design Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

As per IS 2911(Part I -Sec-2) CL-C4 ,Fig 3. In case of pile length is less than point of fixity , what we need to consider?

Ex: Provided length = 1500 mm , but as per point of fixity calculation based on the stiffness factor it is resulting L = 2200 mm . Kindly suggest me whether I need to L= 2200 mm (by increasing 1500 to 2200 mm) or what is the solution for above problem.

Thank you,
Regards,
Saikiran.

Point of Fixity.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.18 KB
 Viewed:  965 Time(s)

Point of Fixity.jpg

abhio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Saikiran,

It would be best if you model the pile as beam on elastic foundation following the recommendations of Matlock and Reese.
sakumar79

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Saikiran,
     Why would you have a pile of 1.5 m depth? If your clay soil is only 1.5 m deep, why not go for open foundation?

Yours sincerely
Arunkumar
saikiran gone
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir's

Thank you for your replay's . Actually this problem is getting in design of foundations to Solar panels legs/supports.

Thank you,

Regards,
Saikiran.
saikiran gone
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Engineers,

Kindly give me the solution to above pile length point of fixity problem.

Thank You,

Regards,
Saikiran.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er. Saikiran,
You please post the details of your foundation with sketches. Then the members can easily comprehend it and think how to tackle the issue.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er. Saikiran,
Nothing is heard from you in response to my query on the details and loading on your structure. Please explain why you are particular in providing  piles for a shallow foundation of only 1.50 m depth. You can consider isolated footings, preferably tied together at the top of the stub, like a grade beam, to provide stability in view of horizontal loads. By the way, will there be much wind load induced on the solar panels ?
     Depth of fixity in your case comes to 2.20 m means for less than this depth, it will not get fixed at some point at any depth. That means, your pile is short. Such piles will fail by way of shear failure of soil by causing either rotation ( free pile head) or translation/ sliding (restrained pile head) of the pile. Long laterally loaded piles will fail by deflection or strength failure of pile only.
     If you are particular to use pile only, you can bank on Broms method on laterally loaded short pile. You can work out the ultimate lateral load capacity using the formulas given, knowing Cu (un-drained shear) of the clayee soil and using the details of the pile proposed. See the attachment.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
Broms Method.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Broms Method.pdf
 Filesize:  894.92 KB
 Downloaded:  15598 Time(s)

saikiran gone
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir,

Thanks for your valuable replay.
Kindly find the attachment of  sample calculation of one solar panel leg foundation design . Length provided = 1800 mm,but in deflection calculation point of fixity (Zf) resulting in 2420 mm .

Also find the attachment of the Tomilson textbook reference for calculation of stiffness factor (i.e 1.8 T)  . But I have chosen 1.9 T as per IS 2911.

Sir, My doubt is provided length(1800mm) is less than the length required for point of fixity (2420mm) . So do I need to increase the pile length to 2420 or what to do?

Thank You,
Regards,
Saikiran

Point of Fixity.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.89 KB
 Viewed:  1125 Time(s)

Point of Fixity.jpg

Use online scanners
Point of Fixity.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Point of Fixity.pdf
 Filesize:  237.54 KB
 Downloaded:  2326 Time(s)

es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er. Saikiran,
How did you work out the lateral force of around 6 kN and the uplift force ?
Why cannot you provided a small square column footing with stub column of size 250mm x 250mm or so, which is more stable, instead of the "pile", which will be weak in uplift too ?

E S Jayakumar
saikiran gone
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir ,
Please give me the solution to  above point of fixity problem. I know many other piling/foundation options , but my query is what to do if provided length is < Point of fixity length (Zf) in deflection calculation obtained from  the graph of IS 2911.

Thank You,

Regards,
Saikiran.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Er. T. Rangarajan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: