www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

nails and glue in pure bending
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tooma
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kunal, thank you for your answers. How could you please prove that the longitudinal slip shear exist in the case of pure bending. An issue of this assumption is how to achieve equilibrium of a square element if longitudinal shear exists while transverse shear does not. Also, if I recall Mohr's circle I don't find such case that only longitudinal shear exists.

kunalkansara wrote:
Dear Er Tooma

If I understood your question correctly, I suppose the confusion is due to mixing up the directions of shear that are possible. By composite beam if you meant it comprising of two or more layers staked one-over-the-other and glued or nailed at the interfaces then clearly the shear that one should worry from glue point of view is the ‘longitudinal slip shear’ that occurs between the layers at the interface when the beam tends to bend.

The four point bending loading that you are talking about does create pure bending condition in between the point-loads, and most lab-scale testing involving beams requiring to be under pure-bending condition use this type of loading setup. But the shear that is absent in such cases is the ‘transverse vertical shear’ not the ‘longitudinal slip shear’.

If the beam is glued effectively, the layers comprising the beam section produces composite action. If there were two layers, each with width b and height h, then yes you are right in recalling your college teaching where you learnt the composite MI is option 1 if they were glued effectively. Otherwise the two sections will act together but not as a single composite section, and therefore the MI in this case will be that suggested by your option 2.

I hope this will be of use to you.

Thanks
Kunal
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: