www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Effects of Post Tension design for Transfer Slab supports

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrocky518
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Effects of Post Tension design for Transfer Slab supports Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,
I have a load transfer system - shear wall to transfer slab to columns below (kindly refer section attached).

We are exploring and comparing the use of Post Tensioning and use of conventional rebars for the Transfer Slab reinforcement.

My doubt is, would the load transfer/distribution from shear walls to columns be affected by the post tensioning behaviour of the 3.3m thick transfer slab as opposed to conventional reinforcements?

Would the load and moment reactions of the columns below differ between Post Tensioned and Conventional Reinforcements?

If yes, kindly elaborate. Your input would be very helpful and highly appreciated.

Kind Regards, R. Jayakumar

3.3m Transfer Slab.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.95 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)

3.3m Transfer Slab.jpg

vegad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jayakumar,

would the load transfer/distribution from shear walls to columns be affected by the post tensioning behaviour of the 3.3m thick transfer slab as opposed to conventional reinforcements?

No. For lateral loads, in plane stiffness of the transfer slab is what matters. For vertical load transfer, strut and tie model will play a crucial part.

Would the load and moment reactions of the columns below differ between Post Tensioned and Conventional Reinforcements?

No. How a transfer girder is strengthened has negligible say on supports, provided the overall strains are limited for both types of reinforcing methods.

Temperature effects shall matter.

However, using post tensioned method for a seismic critical element may result in reversals, hence design extremes.

Thank you.
spsvasan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of Post Tension design for Transfer Slab supports Reply with quote

jrocky518 wrote:
Dear Sefians,
I have a load transfer system - shear wall to transfer slab to columns below (kindly refer section attached).

We are exploring and comparing the use of Post Tensioning and use of conventional rebars for the Transfer Slab reinforcement.

My doubt is, would the load transfer/distribution from shear walls to columns be affected by the post tensioning behaviour of the 3.3m thick transfer slab as opposed to conventional reinforcements?

If yes, kindly elaborate. Your input would be very helpful and highly appreciated.

Kind Regards, R. Jayakumar

Dear Er.R.Jayakumar

I feel that the axial shortening of the prestressed transverse girder can induce some additional bending moments in the columns below. i do not know how large these moments will be

By the by, the latest IS 13920 prohibits the supporting of shear walls on columns

S.P.Srinivasan
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: