www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Etabs design

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elakkiyarajan
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Etabs design Reply with quote

Respected Sefians
In etabs column design, after analysing and concrete design it shows some longitudinal reinforcement value. If I change frame type from "ductile"to"ordinary". Longitudinal reinforcement values may change drastically. Is it right procedure to change like that.  Please sefians through some light on it.
And I use etabs 16 and etabs 17. Both shows different reinforcement values for same model. Which version is preferable.
Rifat Bin Ahmed
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Etabs design Reply with quote

Elakkiyarajan wrote:
If I change frame type from "ductile"to"ordinary". Longitudinal reinforcement values may change drastically.

How can you change frame type in ETBAS 16?As far I know there are no procedure to change ductile to ordinary frame.Do you change Sway special to ordinary frame in etabs?
sakumar79

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Elakkiaraj,
    ETABS uses IS13920 to design members when Ductile design parameter is used (under View/Revise overwrites). This is the default for any member created in a model even after all existing members have changed the parameter. If you are designing the structure to IS13920, you should use Ductile parameter, else you should change it to Ordinary.

If you are getting different values of steel in 2016 and 2017 versions, please check the member end forces. If these itself are different, there is a change in analysis results. If these are same, design alone is different. You can try to compare with hand calculations to see where the difference is.

You can also go through the changelog to see if there was revision in the analysis or design aspects. This will help identify if the change was deliberate or accidental.

For further guidance, you should contact the ETABS customer support.

Hope this helps
S Arunkumar
Maulik Hothi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Etabs design Reply with quote

Elakkiyarajan wrote:
Respected Sefians
In etabs column design, after analysing and concrete design it shows some longitudinal reinforcement value. If I change frame type from "ductile"to"ordinary". Longitudinal reinforcement values may change drastically. Is it right procedure to change like that.  Please sefians through some light on it.
And I use etabs 16 and etabs 17. Both shows different reinforcement values for same model. Which version is preferable.

Dear Er Elakkiaraj,

If you Change the Column design, after analysis and concrete design "ductile"to"ordinary" etabs skip the ductile detailing code.

Etabs 2016 is not updated with IS code 13920 2016 and Etabs 17 is updated with IS Code 13920 2016

IS code 13920 2016 introduce Relative strength of beam and column at a joint clause no. 7.2 P.N. 8

In ductile case Etabs Model use IS 13920 2016 clause no. 7.2 for ductile details and In ordinary case Etabs model skip the IS 13920 2016 code.

I hope you get the answer

Maulik Hothi
Elakkiyarajan
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sefians
Thanks all for clearing my doubts regarding in etabs
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: