www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Need Suggesion on Design of Grade Slab
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarthickME05
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr.Venkatesh.

The notes was very useful to me. Thank you once again. If I have any queries in future i will let you know.

Thank you.

Regards,
Karthick

venkatesh wrote:
Grade slab is one which is resting on ground or having continous supports with very small span.It can be designed manually or by using software.I have one document regarding Grade slab which is explained the way to do in staad.

Regards
Venkateshwara Rao
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Karthik,

The enclosed PPP should give you an idea of the calculations involved (I am not able to attach it here- you may download it from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CE4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanc-tbquimby01.uaa.alaska.edu%2Fcourses%2Fce433%2FQuimby%2Fdocs%2FSlabsOnGrade.ppt&ei=kOTgTsb4L_G02AXR7ZGEBQ&usg=AFQjCNHU56yMOGgiFL3H_ujLaOk7OPFtuQ&sig2=z2redoCNnxCz2I46fW8Kew). Slab on grade as such does not require any reinforcement as it is directly supported on soil. But the reinforcements are provided to take care of possible settlements. The subgrade plays a greater role in the performance of grade slabs.

Another problem with the grade slabs is due to Curling. Please see the papers by B.A. Suprenant, in the Concrete International, ACI, March 2002, pp.56-61 and April 2002, pp. 59-64 for this topic. Another good reference on Slab on grade is Kiamco, C., A Structural look at Slabs on Grade, Concrete International, July 1997, pp. 45-49.

Best wishes
NS
coolbuddy307 wrote:
Thank you very much Mr.Sarathy. If possible please let me know the name of the book.  

Its my humble request. In future if I have any queries may i have your valuable time.

Thanks once again.

Karthick.

gpsarathyy wrote:
Dear Sefian,

For grade slab some specific books are also available. But at present Iam not remembering the name.
The design depends on the vehicular loads, storage loads etc.,, Frequency of operation of vehicles (to know the wear and tear of the top surface). At the edges of the grade slab you have to provide the edge thickening. Expansion joints to be provided if required based on the length.
spsvasan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr.Subramaniam

The ppt file was very comprehensive and useful. Thank you very much

Regards
S.P.Srinivasan
KarthickME05
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr.N.Subramanian Sir,

Thank you very much for providing the PPT. It was very useful for me.

Thank you once again.

With regards,
Karthick.

Dr N. Subramanian wrote:
Dear Er Karthik,

The enclosed PPP should give you an idea of the calculations involved (I am not able to attach it here- you may download it from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CE4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanc-tbquimby01.uaa.alaska.edu%2Fcourses%2Fce433%2FQuimby%2Fdocs%2FSlabsOnGrade.ppt&ei=kOTgTsb4L_G02AXR7ZGEBQ&usg=AFQjCNHU56yMOGgiFL3H_ujLaOk7OPFtuQ&sig2=z2redoCNnxCz2I46fW8Kew). Slab on grade as such does not require any reinforcement as it is directly supported on soil. But the reinforcements are provided to take care of possible settlements. The subgrade plays a greater role in the performance of grade slabs.

Another problem with the grade slabs is due to Curling. Please see the papers by B.A. Suprenant, in the Concrete International, ACI, March 2002, pp.56-61 and April 2002, pp. 59-64 for this topic. Another good reference on Slab on grade is Kiamco, C., A Structural look at Slabs on Grade, Concrete International, July 1997, pp. 45-49.

Best wishes
NS
coolbuddy307 wrote:
Thank you very much Mr.Sarathy. If possible please let me know the name of the book.  

Its my humble request. In future if I have any queries may i have your valuable time.

Thanks once again.

Karthick.

gpsarathyy wrote:
Dear Sefian,

For grade slab some specific books are also available. But at present Iam not remembering the name.
The design depends on the vehicular loads, storage loads etc.,, Frequency of operation of vehicles (to know the wear and tear of the top surface). At the edges of the grade slab you have to provide the edge thickening. Expansion joints to be provided if required based on the length.
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er SPS & Er Karthick

I am happy to note that the PPP was useful to you. You are welcome!

Take care
Best wishes & regards,
NS
spsvasan wrote:
Dear Dr.Subramaniam

The ppt file was very comprehensive and useful. Thank you very much

Regards
S.P.Srinivasan
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SEFIans,
We are constructing a building in slushy soil with under-reamed pile foundation. At ground floor level, we intend to provide grade slab, to take care of any settlement of the floor. We keep this grade slab discontinuous within the panels so that no load is transferred to the plinth beams. However, the corners of the grade slab will be overlapping with the pile caps (with a cushion of soil of thickness approximately 60 cm in between). My doubt is, should we consider the load (DL+LL) transferred by the corners of the grade slab to the pile cap, for the design of piles ? Any guidelines for the same ?
What are the criteria for the thickness and reinforcement of the grade slab ?

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
Smeet Gupta
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
Dear Er Karthik,

Best wishes
NS
coolbuddy307 wrote:

Thanks once again.

Karthick.

gpsarathyy wrote:
Dear Sefian,

Sir,
recently searching for some material for grade slab design, find your link but its not opening. so can you please again post it or mail me at smeet.gupta@gmail.com if you have. your help is highly greatful.

thank you.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: