www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Clarification on calculation of stability index of RC Frame
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aditya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Respected N. Prabhakar Sir,
Thanks a lot for taking painstaking interest in satisfying my queries. It is now clear about the codal provisions for calculating the Stability Index Q. I now understand that the "Design Example of Six Storey Building" must have considered 1.2DL+1.2RLL+1.2EQ load combination for the illustrative example.

with best regards and thanks,
Aditya
aditya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,
I am curious to know how some of the commercial software calculates the stability index Q to determine whether a particular storey in a frame structure is sway or non-sway. For example, Staad-RCDC in its sample design report of a column shows that it is making the check only for lateral load CASE and NOT FOR DESIGN LOAD COMBINATIONS as discussed earlier. Design examples given in standard RC Textbook such as by David A. Fanella-Reinforced Concrete Structures as well as the example included in ACI SP-17(14) also show that this factor is to be calculated for the LOAD COMBINATION giving maximum value of summation of axial load for a storey under consideration. Can somebody explain how ETABS calculates this factor since I could not find any documentation on this matter.
with regards,
Aditya
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: