www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Failure of overhead water tank,at BANKURA,WEST BENGAL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkmallik
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Failure of overhead water tank,at BANKURA,WEST BENGAL Reply with quote

Thanks uhvaryani

Would you PLZ share the dimensions of tank also so that the total wt of the concrete above the failure section can be evaluated....
Best Regards
R.K.Mallik
Structural Engineer

R.N.D. Centre Pvt. Ltd.
Koupandole, Lalitpur
Kathmandu
Nepal

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 8:33 PM uhvaryani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Sefians,I wish to offer many thanks to our engineer-friends who have given opinion on the above subject.This failure just disturbed me ,so I have written about it.I have no knowledge,who is the designer and who is the contractor.
The diameter of the shaft is 6.0m and thickness is 150mm and the capacity of the tank is 700cu.m.and the shaft was slip-formed.
I expect some engineers from West Bengal may throw more light on this subject.I wrote a paper on this subject,
"Structural Design of Reinforced Concrete Circular Staging Shafts for Overhead Tanks Under Direct Compression-Some Vital Aspects"
Civil Engineering and Construction Review,October 1999.pp.19-25
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaryani

Posted via Email
Rudra Nevatia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue firmly in cheek, Sir ?

Rudra Nevatia

N. Prabhakar wrote:
Dear Sefians,

To me, this collapse of water tank is in fact a planned demolition, and not a natural collapse on its own for whatever reasons that have been discussed in this Forum.

From Google search it is known that the tank had been the subject of numerous complaints by locals who had noticed cracks in its structure. They were forced to ensure that nobody goes near the tank, for fear that it may collapse.  

Against the fear, the local authorities may have done the demolition themselves, not  by using explosives or chemicals, but  making a horizontal cut (seen as a horizontal crack from a long distance) in the circular shaft for an appreciable depth and filling the tank full with water or by filling one half full creating eccentric load on the shaft.  This suspicion arises as 5 news channels were there near the location of tanks, waiting  to make  videos (seen in YouTube) of the planned demolition.  Had it been a natural collapse, those five news channels wouldn't be there waiting  to make the videos.  Hence, the reason for a planned demolition.

It is not worth discussing in this Forum about the reasons for the collapse when it is actually a planned demolition.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E)
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Rudra Nevatia,

Sir, what I have written is not a joke.  My tongue is firmly in my mouth only.

Yours truly.

N. Prabhakar
Rudra Nevatia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies Sir.

Rudra Nevatia

N. Prabhakar wrote:
Dear Er. Rudra Nevatia,

Sir, what I have written is not a joke.  My tongue is firmly in my mouth only.

Yours truly.

N. Prabhakar
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Failure of overhead water tank,at BANKURA,WEST BENGAL Reply with quote

Dear Er Varyani Sir,

Thank you for posting this question, which generated lot of discussions in the forum, which was not very active for the past few days.

As someone has commented, how the people knew that the water tank, in a remote place, is going to fail and took a video? Moreover there was a horizontal crack in the shaft which only initiates the collapse. I think that crack was made purposefully and then the tank was loaded with water, as rightly pointed out by my friend Er Prabhakar. Hence, it is not a failure but a planned destruction.

Hope you are doing good. Wish you all the best. God Bless you!

Warm regards
Subramanian

First of all
uhvaryani wrote:
Dear Sefians,   Recently,a failure of an overhead water tank,supported on a reinforced concrete shaft of 150 mm thickness and of height 7.5 m has been reported in the media.
The shaft broke at about mid-height.What could be the reason of this failure?
Earlier cases of failure of these structures showed sinking of the shaft in the ground.In the present case soil is reported to be good, so the shaft has broken into two parts.I request our senior members to consider this case and give us the reason of this failure.My view is that the shaft thickness of 150mm is in sufficient and this has caused local buckling of the shaft.
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaryani

Posted via Email
Ujjwal
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Tank Failure Reply with quote

Rudra Nevatia wrote:
Tongue firmly in cheek, Sir ?

Rudra Nevatia

N. Prabhakar wrote:
Dear Sefians,

To me, this collapse of water tank is in fact a planned demolition, and not a natural collapse on its own for whatever reasons that have been discussed in this Forum.

From Google search it is known that the tank had been the subject of numerous complaints by locals who had noticed cracks in its structure. They were forced to ensure that nobody goes near the tank, for fear that it may collapse.  

Against the fear, the local authorities may have done the demolition themselves, not  by using explosives or chemicals, but  making a horizontal cut (seen as a horizontal crack from a long distance) in the circular shaft for an appreciable depth and filling the tank full with water or by filling one half full creating eccentric load on the shaft.  This suspicion arises as 5 news channels were there near the location of tanks, waiting  to make  videos (seen in YouTube) of the planned demolition.  Had it been a natural collapse, those five news channels wouldn't be there waiting  to make the videos.  Hence, the reason for a planned demolition.

It is not worth discussing in this Forum about the reasons for the collapse when it is actually a planned demolition.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E)
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: