www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Equivalent floor load calculation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnie_singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Equivalent floor load calculation Reply with quote

why the result of equivalent floor load (from triangular and trapezoidal load) on beam from slab formula is different from manual calculation or staad floor load. PFA an excel file to verify the possible mistake if any
P.S Plz share your views or comment after or before downloading the file

yield line theory.JPG
 Description:
formula for triangular and trapezoidal load on beam from slab
 Filesize:  14.15 KB
 Viewed:  521 Time(s)

yield line theory.JPG

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
LOAD CALCULATION.xlsx
 Description:
Equivalent floor load calculation

Download
 Filename:  LOAD CALCULATION.xlsx
 Filesize:  236.16 KB
 Downloaded:  965 Time(s)

Last edited by ronnie_singh on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
syed_A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ronnie singh
In cell E14 and E15 you are using standard formula based on yield line to distribute triangular and trapezoidal load on beam, where as in cell S17 and S18 you simply calculating area of triangle and trapezium dividing by its base to get the load on the beam which i think wont match. Hope i understand correctly your doubt

regards
RJSugantha
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Equivalent floor load calculation Reply with quote

the triangular and trapezoidal load should not be directly divided by the length of the beam.It has to be converted into equivalent udl load. Equivalent udl is obtained  by equating the max moment due to the triangular/trapezoidal load with max moment due to the equivalent udl.

Posted via Email
tosifsayyed
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you share the staad file?
ronnie_singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syed_A wrote:
Dear ronnie singh
In cell E14 and E15 you are using standard formula based on yield line to distribute triangular and trapezoidal load on beam, where as in cell S17 and S18 you simply calculating area of triangle and trapezium dividing by its base to get the load on the beam which i think wont match. Hope i understand correctly your doubt

regards

dear sefian, yes i have used yield line theory formula in cell E14 and E15. again i have used the area to calculate total load on respective beam i.e in cell Q17 and Q18, dividing with the base to get the respective load in udl in cell S17 and S18 from my understanding. How to convert/calculate the load intensity calculated by Staad into udl as per yield line theory or vice versa.
are the cells E14 and E15 value are equivalent udl?. If so then why the result is not same as calculated by Staad when cell E8 value is applied as floor load
In all there approach:-
1. using cell E14 and E15 value in Staad as udl
2. using cell E8 value in floor load
3. using cell E14 and E15 value in Staad as triangular(uvl) and trapezoidal(uvl+udl) the results are incomprehensible.
PFA of Staad files in zip. N.B Files are of Staad connect edition Version 21

Use online scanners
Stadd file.zip
 Description:
N.B Files are of Staad connect edition Version 21

Download
 Filename:  Stadd file.zip
 Filesize:  1.73 KB
 Downloaded:  529 Time(s)

tosifsayyed
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Staad, when you use floor load, load on beam is calculated as Wlx/3 for both triangular and trapezoidal area and for one way load it is Wlx/2.
ronnie_singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: how Reply with quote

tosifsayyed wrote:
In Staad, when you use floor load, load on beam is calculated as Wlx/3 for both triangular and trapezoidal area and for one way load it is Wlx/2.

How? can u show me. i have enclosed the excel and staad file but results are not same. i have input the vaule of Wlx/3 but not same as yield line formula.
tosifsayyed
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that's my mistake, staad is taking WLx/2 for both one way and two way slab (triangular and trapezoidal). But it should be taken as WLx/3 for triangular and trapezoidal part of two way slab and WLx/2 for one way slab, if you want to apply it on each and every individual beam.

This is what the discussion I had with one of my senior.
ronnie_singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tosifsayyed wrote:
Sorry, that's my mistake, staad is taking WLx/2 for both one way and two way slab (triangular and trapezoidal). But it should be taken as WLx/3 for triangular and trapezoidal part of two way slab and WLx/2 for one way slab, if you want to apply it on each and every individual beam.

This is what the discussion I had with one of my senior.

So what is your senior's views on it. See formula is correct, staad is also correct, both can be derived but can't be converged. Will be glad if anyone can explain
ronnie_singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Equivalent floor load calculation Reply with quote

RJSugantha wrote:
the triangular and trapezoidal load should not be directly divided by the length of the beam.It has to be converted into equivalent udl load. Equivalent udl is obtained  by equating the max moment due to the triangular/trapezoidal load with max moment due to the equivalent udl.

Posted via Email

Dear Sefian, it seems like i have missed your comment but finally i have noticed. Will you please elaborate with the same example i have enclosed in excel format. i will try from my end but will be more clear if you show me.

Thanks & Regards
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: