www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Structural Engineer and Soil Investigation Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Soil Investigation Reports Reply with quote

Soil Investigation Reports
I have studied many such reports, during my career on major projects overseas in GCC

I studied subject Construction & Foundation Engineering in 1980 through IEI, a compulsory subject out of 5 compulsory subjects
Other compulsory subjects at that time were Theory of Structures, Structural Designs[RCC+Structural Steel+PSC], Surveying, Fluid Mechanics & Elective of long list opted by me were Applied Geology, Water Resources & Railways

Subject of Construction & Foundation Engineering covered all syllabus of geotechnical engineering, more than what is now included, within Geotechnical & Foundation engineering

Because, subject was compulsory for Section B IEI, I understand that it might also, have been so essential for direct degree programme

But, I find here difference of opinion among engineers

Seems that direct degree programme fails to cover this part of engineering to civil degree syllabus

Well, I often produce Live Videos & shall certainly, make some for Soil engineering

I have certain of many softcopies long one, which I intend to load on onedrive, so that links can be transmitted for download

Soon, I shall start my submission on FB Live videos

I understand, in absence of knowledge of soil engineering, even designs cannot be suitable worked out

reliability cannot be left on to recommendations made by material testing laboratory manager, but self sense must be applied, by going throufg through review of soil report

It has happened with me that I recommended to make changes to many foundation designes, due to designers' not construing soil report consistently
badamsundararao

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: SOIL INVESTIGATION Reply with quote

Dear friends.

A detailed knowledge in Foundation engineering and Geo technical engineering is a must for every Structural engineer. The Soil investigation will be done by majority of Engineers at the depth at which,they want to rest the Foundations,but that is not correct.The Designer should know the behavior of soil up to a minimum depth of 2 times the the maximum probable width of foundation in general and where the Soil profile is not good,the depth of investigation should extend more,but majority will miss this aspect. The effect of Liquefaction is also a major aspect to be considered,which will be generally missed in Reports.Swelling nature also to be considered in Clayey soils.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: