www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

INSTALLATION OF HOOKS IN AN EXISTING RCC SLAB.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renju mathew
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: INSTALLATION OF HOOKS IN AN EXISTING RCC SLAB. Reply with quote

Dear All,

I want to install a hook for a ceiling fan in an existing rcc roof slab, which is having a considerable age. I am not interested in using Anchor bolts for fan on this slab due to some safety reasons. and also not interested to trim the slab and to attach hook on its rebars, as we are not sure about the condition of rebars whether it is rusted or not. The slab is not exposed to water or moisture.  An idea came to my mind is as shown below. but i haven't seen this type of hook installation anywhere before. so i am afraid of providing this. Please help me by sharing your thoughts about any practical issues that can happens etc.
Thank you.

HOOK IDEA.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.83 KB
 Viewed:  17 Time(s)

HOOK IDEA.jpg

es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea is simple and sensible, provided the resulting projection over the roof slab will not cause any inconvenience in the terrace. You can preferably provide a steel washer also.

E S Jayakumar
chowdary
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: INSTALLATION OF HOOKS IN AN EXISTING RCC SLAB. Reply with quote

renju mathew wrote:
Dear All,

I want to install a hook for a ceiling fan in an existing rcc roof slab, which is having a considerable age. I am not interested in using Anchor bolts for fan on this slab due to some safety reasons. and also not interested to trim the slab and to attach hook on its rebars, as we are not sure about the condition of rebars whether it is rusted or not. The slab is not exposed to water or moisture.  An idea came to my mind is as shown below. but i haven't seen this type of hook installation anywhere before. so i am afraid of providing this. Please help me by sharing your thoughts about any practical issues that can happens etc.
Thank you.
Ujjwal
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
Your idea is simple and sensible, provided the resulting projection over the roof slab will not cause any inconvenience in the terrace. You can preferably provide a steel washer also.

E S Jayakumar

The weight of a 1400mm Ceiling fan , now a days , is about 10 Kg for which any bolt , drilled from bottom and,grouted with epoxy is sufficient.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humorous...
I remember, in the year 2002, for hanging my younger son's cradle from RCC ceiling of my rented flat,  I had used a steel U hook fastened to the slab using 2 anchor bolts.
But, in that case, there was less risk factor, as the RCC slab was sound !

E S Jayakumar
nurat
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please weld a steel washer to Hook at bottom too before inserting  to avoid any play and ensure the tightness.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: