www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpa_sheth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar Reply with quote

And what must we make of this? Same bridge collapses again a few days before inauguration.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/watch-portion-of-bihar-bridge-collapses-in-araria/articleshow/111086557.cms

There is such a sense of deja vu.

Will anybody be ever held to account?

Regards
Alpa Sheth
amitjha
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar Reply with quote

This is indeed extremely shocking ma'am.

Bihar has seen troubling pattern of bridge failures reaching 10 including this , recently in last year alone.

Back to back collapse clearly indicates that there has been no lessons learnt and safety of critical infrastructure like bridges is not taken seriously. It can not be termed as "just accident" but reaises serious credibility question on entire system in place and demands accountability and answers.

Had this bridge been inaugurated it would have been extremely disasterous with unfortunate casualties. But what difference it would have made ?

I am sharing a chronology of these bridge failures of Bihar, last year alone. This news article:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rGxPYN6M0nk

Play list of videos of this collapses on Youtube

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Mie3qC_9tHk&list=RDNSQC6dx1CAfX8&index=9

I feel structural audit at highest levels for all bridges in Bihar built in last 10 year or more should be done to indentify tragedy in the making and preemptively proactively demolish or retrofit weak structures depending of feasibility. I dont for some reason feel this pattern of collapses is much more than just poor enginnering or construction , but a toxic cocktail of much more worse.

My posts may sound pessimistic , I like to chronicle structural failures, and hate to sugarcoat my words, sorry for pessimism, I dont really see light at the end of tunnel, however hard I may try.

I urge engineering community to share their views this collapse, some food for thoughts is given in this post from publically available information sources.

Best regards  

Amit Jha

alpa_sheth wrote:
And what must we make of this? Same bridge collapses again a few days before inauguration.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/watch-portion-of-bihar-bridge-collapses-in-araria/articleshow/111086557.cms

Regards
Alpa Sheth
amitjha
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bihar has seen troubling pattern of bridge failures reaching 10 including this , recently in last year alone.

Back to back collapse clearly indicates that there has been no lessons learnt and safety of critical infrastructure like bridges is not taken seriously. It can not be termed as "just accident" but reaises serious credibility question on entire system in place and demands accountability and answers.

Had this bridge been inaugurated it would have been extremely disasterous with unfortunate casualties. But what difference it would have made ?

I am sharing a chronology of these bridge failures of Bihar, last year alone. This news article:

https://www.timesnownews.com/india/from-araria-to-bhagalpur-9-fallen-bridges-of-bihar-article-111089575

Timeline of the numerous bridge collapses in Bihar over the past years:

June 4, 2023: An under-construction Aguwani-Sultanganj bridge in Bhagalpur, built at an expense of over Rs 1,700 crores, fell on June 4.

May 16, 2023: Another under-construction road bridge in the Purnia district collapsed just four hours after the concretisation process. Locals accused the contractor and engineers of using substandard materials, leading to the failure.

March 19, 2023: In Saran district, a British-era road bridge collapsed, injuring two people.

February 19, 2023: An under-construction bridge in the Patna district fell on the Bihta-Sarmera four-lane road.

January 16, 2023: An iron bridge in Darbhanga district collapsed due to an overloaded truck. The incident occurred at Sabohar Ghat under the Kusheshwar Asthan block.

November 18, 2022: A road bridge under construction in Nalanda district collapsed, resulting in one fatality. The bridge was part of a four-lane project in the Vena block.

June 9, 2022: Three labourers were injured when a section of a bridge collapsed in the Saharsa district. The collapse occurred on the eastern side of the Kosi embankment at Kandumer village in the Simri Bakhtiyarpur block.

May 20, 2022: A 136-year-old road bridge in Patna collapsed due to excessive rain. This bridge, located in the Fatuha sub-town 25 km from Patna, was built in 1884 during the British era.

Ofcourse other states have their share of failures but Bihar stands out. We need to dig deep into to understand systematic causes, it can not be just the case of "poor engineering".

Last year in June , The Hindu published this article

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/the-falling-bridges-of-bihar-nine-bridges-collapsed-in-last-three-years/article66938685.ece

The falling bridges of Bihar: ten bridges collapsed in last three years

Seems like Its not going to stop any time soon and we are likely to see more collapses on those nearing completion or under construction. I wish to be proven wrong here for pessimism, though I fail to see light at the end of the tunnel. I just pray that no life is lost in this tragic story of never ending collapses that we are witnessing.

I feel structural audit at highest levels for all bridges in Bihar built in last 10 year or more should be done to indentify tragedy in the making and preemptively proactively demolish or retrofit weak structures depending of feasibility. I dont for some reason feel this pattern of collapses is much more than just poor enginnering or construction , but a toxic cocktail of much more worse.

My posts may sound pessimistic , I like to chronicle structural failures, and hate to sugarcoat my words, sorry for pessimism, I dont really see light at the end of tunnel, however hard I may try.

I urge engineering community to share their views this collapse, some food for thoughts is given in this post from publically available information sources.

Best regards  

Amit Jha

https://youtu.be/Mie3qC_9tHk?list=RDNSQC6dx1CAfX8

alpa_sheth wrote:

Regards
Alpa Sheth
astomar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is very sad and shocking to hear news of bridge collapses in India and specifically in Bihar. I believe to avoid such failure in infrastructure projects , Government should implement strict CDM (Construction,Design and Management ) regulations similar to UK and other developing countries .

Structural design of each bridges should have 3rd party independent review and approval system and construction milestone should have regular site inspections and certification by 3rd party so that no influence of Design company or Contractor company affect the finding and approval process. Project budget should accommodate these 3rd party review and inspection cost and it should be clearly mentioned in Contract.

There should be proper escalation Matrix where in case of any significant issue found during review or inspection then no work is allowed till issue is resolved. Role and Responsibilty of Design Engineer, Contractor and Client should be fixed and Quality procedure should be implemented on site for safe execution of project with taking all precautions of health and safety.

Any incident of failure and its causes should be reported in public with full transparency so that lesson can be learnt from it for all engineering community.

Regards

Alok Singh Tomar
(M.E.I)
Lead Engineer - Bridges & Civil.
Founder and Contributor of Learning platform ( https://scaleupmyskill.com)
Mob 9769347543

On Thu, 20 Jun 2024, 11:16 amitjha, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:

https://www.timesnownews.com/india/from-araria-to-bhagalpur-9-fallen-bridges-of-bihar-article-111089575

June 4, 2023: An under-construction Aguwani-Sultanganj bridge in Bhagalpur, built at an expense of over Rs 1,700 crores, fell on June 4.

May 16, 2023: Another under-construction road bridge in the Purnia district collapsed just four hours after the concretisation process. Locals accused the contractor and engineers of using substandard materials, leading to the failure.

March 19, 2023: In Saran district, a British-era road bridge collapsed, injuring two people.

February 19, 2023: An under-construction bridge in the Patna district fell on the Bihta-Sarmera four-lane road.

January 16, 2023: An iron bridge in Darbhanga district collapsed due to an overloaded truck. The incident occurred at Sabohar Ghat under the Kusheshwar Asthan block.

November 18, 2022: A road bridge under construction in Nalanda district collapsed, resulting in one fatality. The bridge was part of a four-lane project in the Vena block.

June 9, 2022: Three labourers were injured when a section of a bridge collapsed in the Saharsa district. The collapse occurred on the eastern side of the Kosi embankment at Kandumer village in the Simri Bakhtiyarpur block.

May 20, 2022: A 136-year-old road bridge in Patna collapsed due to excessive rain. This bridge, located in the Fatuha sub-town 25 km from Patna, was built in 1884 during the British era.

Ofcourse other states have their share of failures but Bihar stands out. We need to dig deep into to understand systematic causes, it can not be just the case of "poor engineering".

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/the-falling-bridges-of-bihar-nine-bridges-collapsed-in-last-three-years/article66938685.ece

Seems like Its not going to stop any time soon and we are likely to see more collapses on those nearing completion or under construction. I wish to be proven wrong here for pessimism, though I fail to see light at the end of the tunnel. I just pray that no life is lost in this tragic story of never ending collapses that we are witnessing.

Best regards

Amit Jha

alpa_sheth wrote:                And what must we make of this? Same bridge collapses again a few days before inauguration.

Regards
Alpa Sheth     

Posted via Email
Sanjay_Puranik
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar Reply with quote

It appears that the substructure simply sank….

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2024 1:31 PM
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar

Attention: This email was sent from someone outside the Company. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.    

Hi All,

This is very sad and shocking to hear news of bridge collapses in India and specifically in Bihar. I believe to avoid such failure in infrastructure projects , Government should implement strict CDM (Construction,Design and Management ) regulations similar to UK and other developing countries .

Structural design of each bridges should have 3rd party independent review and approval system and construction milestone should have regular site inspections and certification by 3rd party so that no influence of Design company or Contractor company affect the finding and approval process. Project budget should accommodate these 3rd party review and inspection cost and it should be clearly mentioned in Contract.

There should be proper escalation Matrix where in case of any significant issue found during review or inspection then no work is allowed till issue is resolved. Role and Responsibilty of Design Engineer, Contractor and Client should be fixed and Quality procedure should be implemented on site for safe execution of project with taking all precautions of health and safety.

Any incident of failure and its causes should be reported in public with full transparency so that lesson can be learnt from it for all engineering community.

Regards

Alok Singh Tomar
(M.E.I)
Mob 9769347543

On Thu, 20 Jun 2024, 11:16 amitjha, forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:      
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my feeling that Bridges in Alluvial rivers have hver deep sour level and provision of WELL FOUNDATIONS in earlier Brudges were highly safe. The main drawback was slow process of well sinking and take few seasons for foundations to be ready,, but highly safe.

Now a days, bridges are fiunded on pile foundations for the piling is much faster. But,, these are 2nd option in terms of safety. Piled must be of very larger dia as depth of fixity is very long inside due to deep scour depths.

Scour depth assessment needs to be accurate under HFL conditions.

IRC may, in, wisdom increase the limit of minimum pile dia .

Any such failure pinches Structural Engg Since
SUCCESS BEGETS MANY FATHERS BUT FAILURE IS ORPHAN
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my feeling that Bridges in Alluvial rivers have hver deep sour level and provision of WELL FOUNDATIONS in earlier Brudges were highly safe. The main drawback was slow process of well sinking and take few seasons for foundations to be ready,, but highly safe.

Now a days, bridges are fiunded on pile foundations for the piling is much faster. But,, these are 2nd option in terms of safety. Piled must be of very larger dia as depth of fixity is very long inside due to deep scour depths.

Sorabh.Gupta
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar Reply with quote

Hello All,

I think the real issue is that pile foundations are not constructed properly with due diligence. Thanks to L1 mentality and poor construction practises, many of the pile foundations are being constructed with poor structural integrity and improper Geotechnical design. There is little or no QA/QC In terms of proper load tests, Integrity tests (PIT, CSL etc).

Installing pile foundations in alluvium strata may be a bit difficult task but certainly not insurmountable. See paper attached which explains the correct procedures in detail.

Unless we learn from our failures and improve status quo, these issues will likely continue.

Warm Regards,  
Sorabh Gupta | Director
Cengrs Geotechnica Pvt. Ltd.
+91 99108 61118 | +91 97171 94406 (EA)
Office: +91 120 4206771
contact@cengrs.com (contact@cengrs.com) | www.cengrs.com

Connect with me on LinkedIn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2024 12:09:05 PM
To: general@sefindia.org <general@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar  

Posted via Email

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
19th_ICSMGE_Identifying_Defects_in_Deep_Bored_Piles_-_Case_Studies_from_India.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  19th_ICSMGE_Identifying_Defects_in_Deep_Bored_Piles_-_Case_Studies_from_India.pdf
 Filesize:  3.45 MB
 Downloaded:  31 Time(s)

bhsolanki
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar Reply with quote

With all due respect to Tomar Sir,

Why to check independent third party review for bridge structures only ? Statistically, If any building collapses it will have maximum chances to have life loss than a bridge structure, I agree bridges are also important structures but the purview of third party check is much more important in buildings, even though it is small residential home, as probability of any person in any building from 24 hrs to 365 days is maximum and if any of the building is not safe against earthquake, There will be huge life loss disaster. Lots of designers here in Gujarat are Illiterate Graduates and even post graduates in structural engineering, Who don't even know applicable codes and validity, how to do calculations etc, and they are doing full flange practices, Opposing GCPCE (Gujarat Council for Professional Civil Engineers).

It's like worrying about a doctor who passes the NEET exam recently by scam, No body is thinking that those kinda doctors are no doubt very dangerous for society but it he'/she do the mistake it will take life of only one patient at time. but if a civil engineer makes a mistake in Dam like in Morbi Machchu, or do not design building for Earthquake, there will be more life loss than a doctor could do with its whole life career.

Forgive me for saying this but Majority Indians are corrupted !
We like it or not but it is true and have to accept it.

astomar wrote:
Hi All,

There should be proper escalation Matrix where in case of any significant issue found during review or inspection then no work is allowed till issue is resolved.  Role and Responsibilty of Design Engineer, Contractor and Client should be fixed and Quality procedure should be implemented on site for safe execution of project with taking all precautions of health and safety.

Regards

Alok Singh Tomar
(M.E.I)
Mob 9769347543

On Thu, 20 Jun 2024, 11:16 amitjha, <forum> wrote:

Quote:

Best regards

Amit Jha

alpa_sheth wrote:                And what must we make of this? Same bridge collapses again a few days before inauguration.

Regards
Alpa Sheth     

Posted via Email
brahamjeet
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Another bridge collapses (again) in Bihar Reply with quote

Greetings of the day sirMy self Brahamjeet singh
I did my master's in structural engineering and am looking for a job as a structural engineer.
Could you please help me with this

On Fri, Jun 21, 2024, 9:58 AM vikram.jeet <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: