www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Need Suggesion on Design of Grade Slab
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarthickME05
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Need Suggesion on Design of Grade Slab Reply with quote

Dear SEFI'ns,

Please guide me how to design a grade slab for a Industrial Workshed. Is there any assumptions? I will be grateful, if it explain by any example.

Thank you.

Karthick M
rajancivildesign@gmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: GRADE SLAB DESIGN Reply with quote

There is no speific design for Grade slab. Grade slab shall be provided at ground level. Before laying the ground should be compacted with crushed stone of 230mm thickness. Grade slab are provided with 150 to 200 mm thickness with two layers of 8 mm dia rods bothways at 200 C/C using  Tor steel. This is normally provided in the heavy equipment such as Power plant and transformer yard, Boiler area to Chimney etc.

V.M.RAJAN.
KarthickME05
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.V.M.Rajan,

Thank you very much for your valuable response and for the suggestion.

Regards,
Karthick M
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: GRADE SLAB DESIGN Reply with quote

Dear Mr Rajan,

There are design criteria for grade slab also..The method u have mentioned is a general practice..Many consultancy firms have also standardised the drawings for grade slab for different types of loading.But certainly they are designed for loading intensity and soil condition.

Dear Mr Kartick,

you can refer ACI 360 for "Design of slab on grade"

Regards,
S.Adhikari

rajancivildesign wrote:
There is no speific design for Grade slab. Grade slab shall be provided at ground level. Before laying the ground should be compacted with crushed stone of 230mm thickness. Grade slab are provided with 150 to 200 mm thickness with two layers of 8 mm dia rods bothways at 200 C/C using  Tor steel. This is normally provided in the heavy equipment such as Power plant and transformer yard, Boiler area to Chimney etc.

V.M.RAJAN.
KarthickME05
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Adhikari,

Thanks allot for your kind information and reference. Sure, I will try to explore the code.

Regards,
Karthick.M
sun1973
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few reference are below for Grade slab design.

1. "Design of Slabs on Grade" - ACI 360R-92 - by American Concrete Institute (from ACI Manual of Concrete
             Practice, 1999)
         2. "Slab Thickness Design for Industrial Concrete Floors on Grade" (IS195.01D) - by Robert G. Packard
          (Portland Cement Association, 1976)
         3. "Concrete Floor Slabs on Grade Subjected to Heavy Loads"
          Army Technical Manual TM 5-809-12, Air Force Manual AFM 88-3, Chapter 15 (1987)

Grade slab design depends on soil Modulus of subgrade, type of loading (i.e. Point load, Area load) and also the location of loading (i.e. Load acting on interior of slab, corner of slab and edge of slab).

Slab design is generally based on Winker Spring analogy.

I am sure if you search on web, you will find spreadsheet.

GoodLuck
rajancivildesign@gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: GRADE SLAB DESIGN Reply with quote

Adhikari Sir thank you very much for design details supplemented
by you in this forum. I really not aware of it. In our department we follow
the specification given by consultant with minimum thickness and reinforcement.
Thanks details given by other member also.
V.M.RAJAN.
venkatesh
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grade slab is one which is resting on ground or having continous supports with very small span.It can be designed manually or by using software.I have one document regarding Grade slab which is explained the way to do in staad.

Regards
Venkateshwara Rao

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Grade slab.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Grade slab.doc
 Filesize:  31 KB
 Downloaded:  4490 Time(s)

gpsarathyy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefian,

For grade slab some specific books are also available. But at present Iam not remembering the name.
The design depends on the vehicular loads, storage loads etc.,, Frequency of operation of vehicles (to know the wear and tear of the top surface). At the edges of the grade slab you have to provide the edge thickening. Expansion joints to be provided if required based on the length.

KarthickME05
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Mr.Sarathy. If possible please let me know the name of the book.  

Its my humble request. In future if I have any queries may i have your valuable time.

Thanks once again.

Karthick.

gpsarathyy wrote:
Dear Sefian,

For grade slab some specific books are also available. But at present Iam not remembering the name.
The design depends on the vehicular loads, storage loads etc.,, Frequency of operation of vehicles (to know the wear and tear of the top surface). At the edges of the grade slab you have to provide the edge thickening. Expansion joints to be provided if required based on the length.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: