www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Neutral Axis outside the section in case of columns

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naman247
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Neutral Axis outside the section in case of columns Reply with quote

Hello sefians....

I dont know whether the doubt what I am asking is legitimate or not, But this thing is really making me unconscious.

How can a neutral axis in case of columns can be outside the section?

Add to that our code says that maximum distnce which you can take for the neutral axis being outside the sction is 4D (4 Times the depth of the section).

I really dont know how it is possible.

Can anybody tell me how this is possible?

How can Neutral axis be outside the section in case of columns?

Please if anybody knows kindly reply to it..
bijay sarkar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Naman,

A "Neutral Axis" is a line where there is no stress, neither the compressive nor the tensile. As you can see, this is also expressed in the wordings of "Neutral Axis".

Say, an axial compressive load is acting on a column. In this case, whole column section will be subjected to equal compressive stress throughout the sectional area. In such cases, neutral axis will be formed at INFINITY. This is PURE AXIAL case.

Now think, as a small quantity of moment is applied along with the above axial load, the neutral axis becomes a finite one, but at far away from the section. With gradual increase in the moment quantity, neutral axial comes nearer and nearer to column section. At some value of this moment neutral axis will enter into the section.

From above, we can see that NA can be formed not only at 4D, but also upto infinity.

Now question comes how much deep, a neutral axis of column can enter into the section ?
You may imagine that when a neutral axis enters into the section, neutral axis divides the sectional area into two parts : Tensile part and Compressive part. If neutral axis further and further enters into the section, there will be some point of time when tensile force in the tensile zone becomes equal to the compressive force in the compressive zone. This is the PURE BENDING case and vertical compressive load carrying capacity becomes zero.

Thanking you,

Bijay Sarkar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: