www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Fixing detail of steel bracket

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kunal kishor
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Fixing detail of steel bracket Reply with quote

Dear Members
I am designing a steel bracket to support the concrete load. This bracket is connected to the RCC core wall.
The bracket has been made of ISMC 150 B/B. For the connection with the wall I have welded the ISMC150B/B with the 25mm thk MS plate using 4mm thk fillet weld. Then this combination is connected with the wall using 18 dia 8.8 grade bolts. For more clarity the diagram has also been attached.
In the connection I am getting a horizontal pulling force of 103Kn and 52Kn of vertical shear force at top support. And at bottom support I am getting 103Kn horizontal compressive force and 52 KN vertical shear force.
I have taken the vectorial resultant of both the forces and design the weld for the resultant force.
I have two major concerns in this
1.) The pulling force acting on the weld is acting perpendicular to the weld axis. In this case my one weld leg is in tension and one leg is in shear. Should I consider the same weld capacity for both the shear and tensile forces or should I consider the different weld capacity for pulling and shear forces.
2.) I have designed the connection as pinned connection. But since I am welding the ISMC section with the plate some moment will induce. So should I consider the joint as fixed and design the weld for moment also

Your valuable inputs are required on the above concern.

Regards

Kunal Kishor
bijay sarkar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Kunal Kishore,

A bracket is a kind of cantilever and it must be moment connected at end. It shall not be considered as pin connection.

I) For transferring shear through the connection, we connect the web by providing web cleat angle.

II) For transferring the moment :

(a) if the weld is done on ground, flanges (bottom as well as top) are directly welded with complete penetration butt weld.

(b) if weld is done at erected condition, extra top & bottom plates are used which are fillet welded with the connecting member (bracket) and CPJ butt welded with the connected member.

with regards,

bijay sarkar
kunal kishor
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Sarkar

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Actually i am directly connecting the bracket(ISMC 200 B/B) with the plate throught the fillet welding.

I am giving the tensile/compressive force genrated by Moment to the flange weld and shear force to the web and length and thickness of weld provided at flange and web are ok to resist the force.

In this case should i give Bottom and Top cover plate.

Regards

Kunal
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Kunal,

I have not gone through the fig. in detail.

However, I wish to inform that overhead welding should be avoided, unless you have an experienced welder. The quality of overhead welds will not be as good as in other positions. For some tips for overhead welding, see: http://www.sweethaven.com/sweethaven/BldgConst/Welding/lessonmain.asp?lesNum=7&modNum=7

Best wishes,
NS

kunal kishor wrote:
Dear Er. Sarkar

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Actually i am directly connecting the bracket(ISMC 200 B/B) with the plate throught the fillet welding.

I am giving the tensile/compressive force genrated by Moment to the flange weld and shear force to the web and length and thickness of weld provided at flange and web are ok to resist the force.

In this case should i give Bottom and Top cover plate.

Regards

Kunal
kunal kishor
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I will keep this in mind.

Regards

Kunal
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: