www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

 Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Conversion of Weight of concrete to Volume
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wanboksutnga
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Conversion of Weight of concrete to Volume Reply with quote

Dear Sefians
Kindly check the following calculation if it is correct or not because as per mix design the proportion is by weight but i want to do it by volume.Please help which one of the two calculation is correct.Mob-8974165540
As per mix design for M30
proportion=1:1.16:3.15
For cement=50 kg           Sp G=3.15
Fa              =58.05 kg      Sp G=2.64
Ca             =157.72 kg    Sp G=2.68

In volume
For cement=50 kg         =50/3.15/1000=0.0158 cum       
Fa              =58.05 kg    =58.05/2.64/1000=0.0219 cum  
Ca             =157.72 kg  =157.72/2.68/1000=0.0588 cum

Proportion by Volume=0.0158:  0.0219: 0.0588
                                  =1:1.38:3.72
Box gauge to be used=250x250x250=0.0156 cum


Alternatively
50 kg of cement=50/1440=0.0347 cum==0.035 cum
Fa              =58.05 kg    =58.05/2.64/1000=0.0219 cum  
Ca             =157.72 kg  =157.72/2.68/1000=0.0588 cum
Proportion by Volume=0.035:  0.0219: 0.0588
                                  =1:0.63:1.68
Box gauge to be used=300x300x380=0.0347 cum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 5335
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversion of Weight of concrete to Volume Reply with quote

Dear Er Wanbok,

The first calculation, shown in Red is correct!

Best wishes,
NS
wanboksutnga wrote:
Dear Sefians
Kindly check the following calculation if it is correct or not because as per mix design the proportion is by weight but i want to do it by volume.Please help which one of the two calculation is correct.Mob-8974165540
As per mix design for M30
proportion=1:1.16:3.15
For cement=50 kg           Sp G=3.15
Fa              =58.05 kg      Sp G=2.64
Ca             =157.72 kg    Sp G=2.68

In volume
For cement=50 kg         =50/3.15/1000=0.0158 cum       
Fa              =58.05 kg    =58.05/2.64/1000=0.0219 cum  
Ca             =157.72 kg  =157.72/2.68/1000=0.0588 cum

Proportion by Volume=0.0158:  0.0219: 0.0588
                                  =1:1.38:3.72
Box gauge to be used=250x250x250=0.0156 cum


Alternatively
50 kg of cement=50/1440=0.0347 cum==0.035 cum
Fa              =58.05 kg    =58.05/2.64/1000=0.0219 cum  
Ca             =157.72 kg  =157.72/2.68/1000=0.0588 cum
Proportion by Volume=0.035:  0.0219: 0.0588
                                  =1:0.63:1.68
Box gauge to be used=300x300x380=0.0347 cum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 1251
Location: Cochin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Wanbok,


I think, while converting the weights to equivalent volumes, you have to divide with bulk density, rather than specific gravity, so as to account for the voids in the aggregates. In your statement, the volume of one bag of cement is 0.035 cum (second calculation), which is the established value. As per the CPWD specifications, the batching box has to be of the size 25cmx35cmx40cm (0.035 cum volume) that exactly contains one bag of cement. As told by me in reply to another posting of you in a different heading, but on the same topic, correction for water content, bulking (for volume batching) etc. has to be applied if the aggregates are kept open to damp weather. Corresponding reduction should be applied to the quantity of added water as well.

Regards,

E S Jayakumar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B.V.Harsoda
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 2295
Location: RAJKOT,GUJARAT, INDIA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Wanbok,


As Respected Dr. NS Sir has been said that calculations shown in red is correct. Yes, It is correct for absolute volume only, but  not for bulk volume. As suggested by Er. Jayakumar is correct method as bulk density is useful to convert weight to bulk volume.
    Most practical method to convert weight to volume is that first of all wight quantity of FA & CA as per mix design, then fill standard box and decide proportion by volume.


Best Wishes,
B. V. Harsoda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 1251
Location: Cochin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attach details on how to work out the quantities in terms of volume.

- E S Jayakumar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 1251
Location: Cochin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In continuation to the above topic, I attach a tabular format for finding out the corrections to be applied on the weights of moist aggregates and added water, when weigh batching is resorted to design mix concrete. This is taken from work site. Please note that entries in columns (7), (11) and (13) are as per the mix design recommendations.

E S Jayakumar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 1251
Location: Cochin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Wanbok,

I hope you have worked out the design mix quantities in terms of volumes. Can you please share the proportions that you have arrived at along with details ? I am inquisitive about it.

Regards,

E S Jayakumar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Posts: 1251
Location: Cochin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Wanbok,

Nothing is heard from you on my query. If the information provided by me is insufficient or incorrect, you think, please let me know, so that I can ponder it.

E S Jayakumar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanboksutnga
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Regarding Conversion of Weight of concrete to Volume Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
Dear Er. Wanbok,

I hope you have worked out the design mix quantities in terms of volumes. Can you please share the proportions that you have arrived at along with details ? I am inquisitive about it.

Regards,

E S Jayakumar




Dear Sir

As mentioned earlier that my mix design is by weight done by the Assam Engineering College that why i do wish to do the mix proportion at site by Volume because we donot have the Mixer Plant at site of construction.So regarding the details i will post it latter by scan copy.Also the proportion of mix design is as per given in my previous post shown in red colour
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
wanboksutnga
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Conversion of Weight of concrete to Volume Reply with quote

Thanking you Sir for your responses

Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
Dear Er Wanbok,

The first calculation, shown in Red is correct!

Best wishes,
NS
wanboksutnga wrote:
Dear Sefians
Kindly check the following calculation if it is correct or not because as per mix design the proportion is by weight but i want to do it by volume.Please help which one of the two calculation is correct.Mob-8974165540
As per mix design for M30
proportion=1:1.16:3.15
For cement=50 kg           Sp G=3.15
Fa              =58.05 kg      Sp G=2.64
Ca             =157.72 kg    Sp G=2.68

In volume
For cement=50 kg         =50/3.15/1000=0.0158 cum       
Fa              =58.05 kg    =58.05/2.64/1000=0.0219 cum  
Ca             =157.72 kg  =157.72/2.68/1000=0.0588 cum

Proportion by Volume=0.0158:  0.0219: 0.0588
                                  =1:1.38:3.72
Box gauge to be used=250x250x250=0.0156 cum


Alternatively
50 kg of cement=50/1440=0.0347 cum==0.035 cum
Fa              =58.05 kg    =58.05/2.64/1000=0.0219 cum  
Ca             =157.72 kg  =157.72/2.68/1000=0.0588 cum
Proportion by Volume=0.035:  0.0219: 0.0588
                                  =1:0.63:1.68
Box gauge to be used=300x300x380=0.0347 cum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA, Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service. advertisement policy