www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

how to release secondary beam on three of four cantilever
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Atif,
The cantilever is simple and the BM can be calculated at the end as wL^2/2 and this can be given as the moment at the fixed end. The beam is resting only on the interior beam!

Best wishes,
NS
mohd atif wrote:
thanks  everyone for replying,
please check staad file , skecth

file name staad corresponds to the sketch

and file name staad 2 beam 339 contains long cant beam with similar problem
the long cant beam is  about 15 feet length
mohd atif
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

respected sir ,
                 but the reactions through the continuous unsupported beam will act on the long beam or
the long beam will act as a propped cantilever with the stiff cantilever supporting the unsupported beam
please rectify my doubt
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er atif,

My God!  Only now I looked into the sketch sent by you properly. You have a very long beam which is supported only on cantilever beams, on which many other heavy beams also are supported. I will not approve such a beam. Please provide columns, especially where a long beam is supported by it. Otherwise, the behavior of the system will not be proper.

Best wishes,
NS
mohd atif wrote:
respected sir ,
                 but the reactions through the continuous unsupported beam will act on the long beam or
the long beam will act as a propped cantilever with the stiff cantilever supporting the unsupported beam
please rectify my doubt
mohd atif
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

respected sir,
  thank you for  reply  .  there are some restriction (parking and dining) because of that i cannot place a column to support the other  end of long beam.
how should is consider the long beam
1. cantilever,  where the continuous unsupported beam reaction will be transferred to  each cantilever beam and the long beam will be having high moments at the end

or

2.  propped cantilever , where the stiff cantilever beams are supporting continuous unsupported beam and the long beam resting on  this continuous unsupported beam

sir which one is proper way to analyse
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Atif,

The column locations as shown in your drawing will not constitute a proper system.

You should move the columns to support the beams, so that the system will have clear load path.

Best wishes,
NS
mohd atif wrote:
respected sir,
  thank you for  reply  .  there are some restriction (parking and dining) because of that i cannot place a column to support the other  end of long beam.
how should is consider the long beam
1. cantilever,  where the continuous unsupported beam reaction will be transferred to  each cantilever beam and the long beam will be having high moments at the end

or

2.  propped cantilever , where the stiff cantilever beams are supporting continuous unsupported beam and the long beam resting on  this continuous unsupported beam

sir which one is proper way to analyse
mohd atif
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

respected sir ,
         i am not able to move the column because of stipulation  set by architect and owner ( due to parking and hall)  .
  sir , can't we analyse the structure without moving  column position
   i could change the beam position
and thank you for reply

sir cant we release moment from each  secondary beam  as shown below in the image
is it the right way or stiff cantilever supports  unsupported beam and less stiffer cantilever rest on it
please rectify me
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: