www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

How to design Hoardings / advertisment boards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bharathhassan
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: How to design Hoardings / advertisment boards Reply with quote

Hi Friends / Respected Senoirs

Please help me to design hoardings itsabout 40' x60' at a height of 12' from terrace of 4 story building .<o></o>
I have to support on the six columns .The structural arrangments attached below .<o></o>
The members are failings in slenderness .
staad model is also attached .
kindly guide me to design hoading using angles are channels ,cant use heavier members .

<o></o>
pravin_shirsath

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use built up sections of angles with bracing .

Define section in prismatic property.

Hoarding design is well explained in SP-64
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SEFIans,

The details of the proposed steel frame work of a 7.50mx3.00m size hoarding board and its foundation is attached. Please peruse and suggest modifications if any. Foundation proposed is a combined footing for a pair of front and back leg, in order to offer more counter weight (including that from backfill soil) and hence stability, for wind induced toppling forces.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
balki16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir

In hoardings more importance should be given for the stability . They are light structures and tend get blown away due to heavy wind.  

There has to be adequate dead weight at the foundations.

The members should be properly braced.

Regards

K. B.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SEFIans,

The details of the proposed steel frame work of a 7.50mx3.00m size hoarding board and its foundation is attached. Please peruse and suggest modifications if any. Foundation proposed is a combined footing for a pair of front and back leg, in order to offer more counter weight (including that from backfill soil) and hence stability, for wind induced toppling forces.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

A girder, say ISMB 150, is proposed to be embedded in the parapet wall at terrace of a building, which acts as the support of a roof top hoarding structure. This girder transmits 3 MT tension to the parapet wall due to wind load at 50cm depth from the top of the parapet wall, 230mm thick. Will the 50cm height wall above the girder be safe to sustain the tension, by arch action or so ? The girder end will be embedded using concrete filled in openings cut out in the wall. Will the system require re-bar anchoring to the beam beneath the parapet wall ?

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
balki16

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sir

50 Cm embedment in a brick wall of 230 MM thick will not be sufficient to resist 3000 kg of tension.  

It is presumed that 3 tonne tension is net after accounting the dead weight of the structure.

the dead weight  of the support has to be at least  3000x1.1 Kg.

It means you have to have concrete of about 1.5 Cum in which the steel section has to be embedded with proper base plate.

Alternatively you can anchor the steel section to the roof slab using suitable  expansion anchors like HILTI

Regards

K. B.
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bharathhassan,

I note that are designing a large size hoarding which is to be mounted on the top of an existing 4 storey building.

I am completely against putting up any hoarding on the top of an existing building as the roof of buildings are not normally designed for forces acting on it from hoarding supports due to self weight and wind loads. While fixing the hoarding supports to brick parapet walls or concrete roof slab, the existing water-proof layer on the roof will be greatly disturbed causing severe leakage in the top most storey of the building.  Repairing of an existing water-proof layer is not easy and  never satisfactory. I have known of many cases of this leakage problem where hoardings have been mounted on the roof.

Considering the above, we as Structural Engineers should advise them not to put up a hoarding on the top of a roof.  This is our obligation to the society.

I trust you will consider my views in right prospective.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E)
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bharathhassan,

I note that are designing a large size hoarding which is to be mounted on the top of an existing 4 storey building.

I am completely against putting up any hoarding on the top of an existing building as the roof of buildings are not normally designed for forces acting on it from hoarding supports due to self weight and wind loads. While fixing the hoarding supports to brick parapet walls or concrete roof slab, the existing water-proof layer on the roof will be greatly disturbed causing severe leakage in the top most storey of the building.  Repairing of an existing water-proof layer is not easy and  never satisfactory. I have known of many cases of this leakage problem where hoardings have been mounted on the roof.

Considering the above, we as Structural Engineers should advise them not to put up a hoarding on the top of a roof.  This is our obligation to the society.

I trust you will consider my views in right prospective.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E)
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,

The sketch of the proposed roof top hoarding structure is enclosed. The arrangement completely eliminates the struts supporting on the slab, which may  be unsafe. They are supported on an ISMC girder, which, in turn, is embedded its either ends in the parapet wall, in a concrete block, which has rebars anchored to the beam below inside it, to take care tension. The approximate maximum compression force and tension force at the end of the girder are 4 MT and 3 MT respectively. Please point out the drawbacks of the arrangement, if any. The span of the hoarding is 6.50m, the total height of the staging (including the board) is 5.00m and the height of the board is 3.00m.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: