www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Dr Sudhir Jain's mail reg State of construction

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2004
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_kadam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Dr Sudhir Jain's mail reg State of construction Reply with quote

Dear all,

Should we insist for Structural Engineer to be associated with Civil Contractor for site related Structural Engg. such as centering/formwork/derrick design?

regards,

Posted via Email
Chandrashekar M
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Dr Sudhir Jain's mail reg State of construction Reply with quote

Dear All

I really concur with Dr. Jains closing remarks " Just do your job". No doubt it is painful to realise where this proffession stands today which is reflected by the incidents occured in past few days.

I am not at all surprised by these incidents, in fact I always expected. Believe me, this is only the begining and we are going to see many more such incidents, leave alonre the incidents due to natural calamities but due to the man made (made by our own colleagues) incidents. I am making these comments after observing the things happening around us which I will summ up below.

1. After the Bhuj earth quake many buildings( particularly multistoreyed apartment blocks) in Ahmedabad collapsed. I was wondering why this has happened. Because many complicated buildings designed by my organisation were intact. We did not do any thing great. We just followed then existing codes relogiously. But after looking at  over 450 photographs of the collapsed buildings (which were taken soon after the incidet by one of our colleague at Ahmedabad on his own risk and interest) I was shocked to know that not even basic design parameters were followed leave alone codal provisions. Certainly these buildings should have built with professional help.

2. I happen to interact with a leading consultant in India  who is doing some works for us at Bangalore. When i asked him why you have not designed any major building in Bangalore (Bangalore's skyline is changing fast with construction boom with so many beautiful buildings business complexes, apartments, office complexes, malls etc.) he said " Sir, we cant enter in to this area" because here people ask " what is your design?, is it 1.5 kg/sft or 1.2 kg/sft"

3. It is further ogonising to here from the same person this incident. When they were negotiating a contract with a famous MNC who is planning a huge real estate project in Bangalore the MNC asked them " can you give a design at 1.50 Kg/sft. This is without refering to plans, codes etc.

4. My sister went to a famous mall in Bangalore. After coming from there she asked me why the concrete walk way bridge shakes when people walk over there. I had to tell her that is designed that way so that people enjoy there walk and dont try to walk over again.

5. These days the proffessionals in Bangalore are catching up with the flat slabs design and construction. Any other commercial complex is with flat slabs. When I spoke to some of the people the general concept is, the slab shall not be thicker than 8-9 inches, no drops, leave alone column heads. And this they want irrespective of the span whether it is 6m, 7m or 9m. Again another time bomb to explode.

6. The design concepts these people adopt i most of the buildings  is to cater only for vertical loads. No rigid joints. Leave alone lateral loads

These are only some of the very few incidents.

This is happening because the structural engineering profession is in the hands of the Developer and the Architect. The developer entrusts the job to an Architect and he hires a structural engineer with a requirement like how many Kgs of steel you give for an sft without bothering about codal provisions. Any one who accepts the conditions they get the job but not the one who respects hi profession.

For this we have to blame ourselves because if you don't accept these conditions there is always one of our colleague to accept such conditions.

I only conclude that unless accountability is brought in to place and guilty are punished for such acts, these things continue to happen.

I still remember the advice given by my senior colleague when I joined the design office, "what ever we civil engineers do always costs life. Because any mistake on our part can take few lives"

These are purely my personal views without refering to any body and any project justto share anguish and pain due to the loss life due to man made incidents.

Let us also remember that there is some real good work is also being done

Posted via Email
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2004 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: