www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

*** ERROR:THE AXIAL STRESS ON MEMBER EXCEEDS 0.1FCK AT SECTION 0.0

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitupandit00
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: *** ERROR:THE AXIAL STRESS ON MEMBER EXCEEDS 0.1FCK AT SECTION 0.0 Reply with quote

Dear Safiens,

While Designing the structure in Staad Pro there was an error " the axial stress on member exceeds 0.1fck "
pls Suggest me how to solve this errors in Staad Pro

With Regards
Amit Sharma
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Amit Sharma,

It appears that you are designing an earthquake-resistant structure, located  in a sever earthquake zone III and above, as per IS per earthquake code  IS 1893 and IS 13920 for ductile detailing.

As per clauses 6.1.1 and 7.1.1 of IS 13920: 1993, in flexural members and in frame members subjected to bending and axial load, the factored axial stress in the members under earthquake loading shall not not exceed 0.1 fck.  The solution is to follow the the guidelines given in IS 13920 on the sizing of members, and increase the member size as necessary.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208
mitupandit00
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks N. Prabhakar Sir
Your Reply is valuable for me .
The Beam's exceeding axial stress 0.1fck, all are within Shearwalls.
then what we do with these member . Is i increase the size of these member or anything else,
I read somewhere when axial stress exceed 0.1fck in beam then design these beam as Column. Is this ok.
Pls help

Thanks with Regards
Amit Sharma
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Amit Sharma,

If the beam is within a shear wall, in my opinion, then it has to be designed as a shear wall only as per clause 9.1 of IS 13920.

If the axial stress in beam exceeds 0.1 fck, then it has to be designed as a column as per clause 7.1.1 of IS 13920.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: