www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Technical doubts in the analysis of RCC framed structure

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> New Members make Test Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
udayakumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Technical doubts in the analysis of RCC framed structure Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

I did 2 case studies using Staad pro. In the first case study I analyzed a (stilt+2) RCC framed structure and following are my doubts:

1. After analysis I calculated the stresses in each column and compared with the allowable bearing stress (0.446*Fck) as per IS 456. In some columns the actual stress exceeds the allowable stress and at site due to physical constraints there is no scope for further increasing the size of the column. Under this circumstances what is the solution to be adopted.

2. I also calculated the stiffness of the members to check whether the stiffness of column is more than stiffness of the beams. What is the effective length of the members to be considered for arriving at the stiffness for beams and columns for calculating stiffness (K=I/L)

In the second case study

1. I analyzed an existing building (G+1) which was constructed (without doing any design) by adopting thumb rules of adopting 9"x9" columns with the span of beams (whose size is also 9'x9") not exceeding 10'. When the structure is analyzed and designed, staadpro shows some of the column sizes are inadequate whereas the structure is stable and standing for the past 20 years. How it is so?

2. If second floor is proposed to be constructed in this building in near future by adopting same thumb rules whether it is advisable to do so.

Kindly help me in clarifying the above doubts. Thankyou sir.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Governing Buiding Codes loads may not have come on this Structure yet. Reply with quote

Dear Er.  Udaykumar,
I can answer your second case :

You said "
"In the second case study

1. I analyzed an existing building (G+1) which was constructed (without doing any design) by adopting thumb rules of adopting 9"x9" columns with the span of beams (whose size is also 9'x9") not exceeding 10'. When the structure is analyzed and designed, staadpro shows some of the column sizes are inadequate whereas the structure is stable and standing for the past 20 years. How it is so?

2. If second floor is proposed to be constructed in this building in near future by adopting same thumb rules whether it is advisable to do so. "

My answer:  
Just because a building is standing for 20 years does not mean it is done per governing building code. My LEAD Structural Engineer ( MY Boss) told me that there are many many  buildings  still standing because they have not been subjected to  the extreme governing loads as required by the governing Building codes. As an Structural Engineer take no comfort in this that it  is standing for 20 years. Return period of some Earthquakes loads  is 500 years. Probability of that load is once in 500 years. Same is the case with maximum Wind Loads of the Codes.  Do the design based on Governing Building Code and then only say it is safe or  fails.  

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.  
Structural Engineer
udayakumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Er. Pandya Sir for clarifying my doubts of the second case study.

It would be helpful if some expert in this forum clarifies my doubts of first case study also.

Thankyou sir in advance.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.
vegad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Engr. UdayaKumar,

Case I

1) Try, increasing the strength of the material, or use an entirely different and stronger material.
2) Clear span/ length.

Case II

1) Try accounting 'all active' load paths; and recalculate. The structure may fall into a category of heavily confined masonry structure. That's where majority of India is living into.
2) Depends on the eligibility criteria, established by point 1, for a particular thumb rule.

Idealize the structure, chose appropriate code and make it compliant.

Thank you

Not an 'expert'.
udayakumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Er. Vegad. I also learnt that providing pedestal to the column also would help in overcoming the excessive stressed columns.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.
prahladpareek
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udayakumar wrote:
Thankyou Er. Vegad. I also learnt that providing pedestal to the column also would help in overcoming the excessive stressed columns.

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.
vegad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

udayakumar wrote:

Best Regards
R.Udayakumar.

So you eventually increased the size of column up to a small height (pedestal); glad that restraint imposed was relaxed and equally lucky that excessive stresses lied at lower level.

Cheers.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> New Members make Test Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: