www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

How to find roof stability of old building?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harendra sharma
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Dear,First of all let us know how story building and slab thickness as well as area.

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM RAJEEVAN <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

[quote]            Dear sir,Deflection test as per IS 456 is the right method. Provide supports and centering and fix deflectometers and check the allowable parameter as per code.
You can use sand bags or Bricks uniformly loaded or ingots.Long back I have done one such test for a factory building in SOUTH INDIA VISCOSE which was damaged in a fire(20Ton staple fibre unit) under the guidance of Late Prof Dr.R.J.Gopalakrishnan - former Founder HOD of Coimbatore Institute of Technology.

Regards

Rajeevan- sefian

On 27 Oct 2018 14:14, "kedar_kavathekar" forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
Quote:
           I think you can find deflection slab/s by Load Test Method. We have used this  method to find out actual deflection in slabs by sampling method. We also don't have RCC details for the building.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org) (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
sk_tata
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Dear Trisal Sir,

Absolutely correct,

Now a days tools have came like rebar detector. Rebar Detector - Useful for checking the spacing of bars.

With regards
Santosh Kr Sharma

To: "general" <general@sefindia.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:11:14 PM
Subject: [SEFI] Re: How to find roof stability of old building?

Find the load carrying capacity by an actual load test.Solar panel do not have much dead load but you have to secure them against wind load so the geographical location is important.the wind load effect in my view is most important.i have seen these panels being dragged and twisted by wind load
Sktrisal

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 15:38 Ravikumar, forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email

gunaseelan
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Dear sir,
                   If you are interested to find out the reinforcement details like dia of rods, spacing etc you can very well use Reinforcement mapping testing, many expertise firms are available at very reasonable prices. Please try this method,  all your problems are solved with out much expenditure

with regards
Gunaseelan.m.

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:04 PM RAJEEVAN <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear sir,Deflection test as per IS 456 is the right method. Provide supports and centering and fix deflectometers and check the allowable parameter as per code.
You can use sand bags or Bricks uniformly loaded or ingots.Long back I have done one such test for a factory building in SOUTH INDIA VISCOSE which was damaged in a fire(20Ton staple fibre unit) under the guidance of Late Prof Dr.R.J.Gopalakrishnan - former Founder HOD of Coimbatore Institute of Technology.

Regards

Rajeevan- sefian

On 27 Oct 2018 14:14, "kedar_kavathekar" forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
Quote:
           I think you can find deflection slab/s by Load Test Method. We have used this  method to find out actual deflection in slabs by sampling method. We also don't have RCC details for the building.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org) (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
arun_jacob
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

You can do a sample chopping to find out the bottom bar diameter. You can also scan to find rebar spacing 

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018, 2:07 PM Ravikumar <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Hi to all Structural Engineers, Actually I Have one problem in my project, In one of the old Government building ( No reinforcement details available ) only geometrical details we have and concrete strength found by both rebound and UPV test, now the doubt is, they want to erect a solar panel at the roof, but due to that additional load (solar panel ) , To give clearance to that solar power project, I have to find deflection of roof or stability check ,How to find the deflection calculation of roof( both one way and two way slab is there ) without knowing reinforcement details ,( Orally the people are saying that in slab they used 12,10 mm dai bars in slab, don't know the spacing details ).
Please suggest some textbook or method, To find deflection of the roof with know values ( geometrical property ), without reinforcement details.

Posted via Email
SATYAPAUL
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

i am providing you thumb rule.two persons stand at a point on roof top.both together may weigh  approximately 120 kg.ask the third man to watch the ceiling from below.if on visibility no change is  noticed.then take 100 kg load as point load in one square meter area and design the solar panels as  column load on different columns one meter apart. otherwise only method is to load the roof and check  deflection.any how no roof has been designed in past less than 200kg/sq.m live load.you use your  judgment in design. regards satya pal  On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 15:02:15 +0530 "RAJEEVAN"  wrote >                   Dear sir,Deflection test as per IS 456 is the right method. Provide supports and centering and  fix deflectometers and check the allowable parameter as per code. > You can use sand bags or Bricks uniformly loaded or ingots.Long back I have done one such test for a  factory building in SOUTH INDIA VISCOSE which was damaged in a fire(20Ton staple fibre unit) under the  guidance of Late Prof Dr.R.J.Gopalakrishnan - former Founder HOD of Coimbatore Institute of Technology. >  >  > Regards >  >  > Rajeevan- sefian >  >  > On 27 Oct 2018 14:14, "kedar_kavathekar" wrote:[quote]            I think you can find deflection  slab/s by Load Test Method. We have used this  method to find out actual deflection in slabs by  sampling method. We also don't have RCC details for the building. >  >  > On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote: >  >       --auto removed-- >       > >  >  > --

Posted via Email
pramodkulkarni
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Firstly you can find the rebar dia & spacing with the help of NDT .Secondly you need not to check deflection as slab thickness is mostly governed by span to depth ratio & not by loading.
Thirdly solar panels are very light weight & in Railway we are directly laying it on AC sheet of platform covering .

Sent from my iPhone

On 23-Oct-2018, at 11:27 AM, Ravikumar <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Hi to all Structural Engineers, Actually I Have one problem in my project, In one of the old Government building ( No reinforcement details available ) only geometrical details we have and concrete strength found by both rebound and UPV test, now the doubt is, they want to erect a solar panel at the roof, but due to that additional load (solar panel ) , To give clearance to that solar power project, I have to find deflection of roof or stability check ,How to find the deflection calculation of roof( both one way and two way slab is there ) without knowing reinforcement details ,( Orally the people are saying that in slab they used 12,10 mm dai bars in slab, don't know the spacing details ).
Please suggest some textbook or method, To find deflection of the roof with know values ( geometrical property ), without reinforcement details.

Posted via Email
yatindoshi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

The GPS mapping you can get idea of reinforcement and it can verified at few locations by exposing the cover.

Y A DOSHI

Sent: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 14:11:32 GMT+0530
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] How to find roof stability of old building?

Find the load carrying capacity by an actual load test.Solar panel do not have much dead load but you have to secure them against wind load so the geographical location is important.the wind load effect in my view is most important.i have seen these panels being dragged and twisted by wind load
Sktrisal

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 15:38 Ravikumar, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
ahsan ayyub saudagar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

You can use rebar detector for getting idea about reinforcement.

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018, 3:03 PM RAJEEVAN <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear sir,Deflection test as per IS 456 is the right method. Provide supports and centering and fix deflectometers and check the allowable parameter as per code.

Regards

Rajeevan- sefian

Quote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
vijayjj1
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

How old is the building. Is it rcc or rbc(reinforced brick roof ).I have a feeling it is rbc. Kindly do a structural aprisal with manual calculations.before proceeding with sand bag load test..

Regards

Vijayjj

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018, 15:02 RAJEEVAN, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:

Regards

Rajeevan- sefian

Quote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
ssankaran
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Instead of probing on stability of old roof you can do the following. Support the solar panels by steel beams calculated to take the load.steel beams can be supported on masonry wall or columns.

S Sankaran

On Sat 27 Oct, 2018, 4:08 PM kedar_kavathekar, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

[quote]            I think you can find deflection slab/s by Load Test Method. We have used this  method to find out actual deflection in slabs by sampling method. We also don't have RCC details for the building.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: