www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

hydraulic steel gate

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santosh1
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: hydraulic steel gate Reply with quote

Dear all,
I am going through the design of hydraulic steel draft tube gate for power house. i calculated the loading diagram and  located the position of horizontal girders and gate leaf plan etc.
For sizing the girders, i came across the problem on solving the problems by moment distribution methods (many prefer this methods).But i am quite in doubt in using this methods.
I have attached my diagrams.
Kindly suggest me the way i should approach to solve this.
Thanks
Santosh

IMG_20190326_110232.jpg
 Description:
Moment distribution methods
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  629 Time(s)

IMG_20190326_110232.jpg

abhio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Santosh,

Moment distribution is quite simple, but would take a lot of steps (with consequent loss of accuracy) for multiple spans. I'd not do it today for more than 3 spans. Why not use a frame analysis program like STAAD / SAP instead?
santosh1
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear abhio,
Thanks for the suggestion.
But have only 3 girders in the gate frame and for sizing i need to solve this to get the load on positioned girders.
the manual calculations much be appreciated.
Thnanks
santosh
abhio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Santosh,

Please find attached a simple spreadsheet for moment distribution for your structure.

Regards,

A S Oundhakar

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
moment distribution.xlsx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  moment distribution.xlsx
 Filesize:  17.66 KB
 Downloaded:  585 Time(s)

santosh1
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Steel gate Reply with quote

HEllo Abhio,
Thanks for the sheet.
How do you calculate the shear force due to moments and due to loads for the proposed loading ?
Kindly suggest the formulas to use or methodology .

thanks and regards
Santosh
abhio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Santosh,

Having found the end moments and reactions, you can find shear force and bending moment at any point by taking free body diagrams of each beam separately. Please refer to any analysis textbook.

Regards,

A S Oundhakar
santosh1
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: steel gates Reply with quote

Hello Abhio,
Thank you for the sheet. But as i was working on it, i got confused on your triangular load to left values. Kindly give the formula you have worked on for it.
Hope the loading is of (ton/m).

Regards
Santosh
abhio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Santosh,

"Triangular load to the left" means load with maximum value towards the left. Please refer to any standard book for fixed end moment values for this case.

The spreadsheet is not based on any particular units, so the output moments will be in the same units as the inputs. If you give length and loads in m and tonne units, the BM will be in t.m. If you give the inputs in feet and kips, you'll get BM in kip-ft.

Regards,

A S Oundhakar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: