www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Torsional requirements clause

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Challa
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Torsional requirements clause Reply with quote

Hello everyone,,

Suppose at one end at terrace horizontal deflection is 1 mm and at other end it is 1.8mm.Both are negligible.shall we ignore?Is there any clause in code that refers to minimum deflection below which the clause....7.1 ..3A TORSIONAL IRREGULARITY is not applicable.
https://snaptube.cam/https://9apps.cam/

Posted via Email

Last edited by Challa on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Can you send the picture of your deflected beam . This is weak axis moment My . Reply with quote

Er. Challa ,

Can you send the picture of your deflected beam . This is a weak axis moment  My .

TYPICALLY ( IN STAAD/PRO  LOCAL  AXIX  SYSTEM)  :

Node I to J along the Span of beam is the X axis

MZ  is the STRONG AXIS MOMENT  .
MY  is the WEAK AXIS  MOMENT (Caused by deflection you are giving )
MX  is the TORSION

You have "  My "  Weak Axis moment not TORSION .  TORSION Moment comes from applied load eccentric to span of beam by a bracket attached to beam . A vertical load applied at the end of the Bracket . I think you have Weak Axis Moment  " My"  not torsion .
Send the picture of your deflected beam . You have to design for weak axis moment My .

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.
Structural Engineer
hemalmistry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Torsional requirements clause Reply with quote

This one is valid situation, not addressed in code. However, in one of the international codes, such situation is handled as attached here, which states that if actual drift is very less than permissible drift, suitable relaxation may be given to torsional irregularity requirement.

Regards,
Hemal Mistry

GB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.95 KB
 Viewed:  25 Time(s)

GB.jpg

VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: What I was talking was TORSIONAL MOMENT IN A MEMBER not plan irregularity. Reply with quote

Er. Mistry ,
What I was talking about was TORSIONAL MOMENT IN A MEMBER/ A BEAM  not plan irregularity of a whole building .  IN A CHANNEL SHAPE , " L"  SHAPE  AND " T "  SHAPE PLAN LAYOUT OF BUILDINGS WE HAVE TO CONSIDER TORSIONAL EFFECTS OF WHOLE BUILDING WITH A 3-D COMPUTER MODEL .

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya P.E.
Structural Engineer
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: