www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

ANSYS Help: Computaion of Bending moment in Beam/Frame (Solid element)

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Evaluate my Model
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulkit Velani
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: ANSYS Help: Computaion of Bending moment in Beam/Frame (Solid element) Reply with quote

Hello SEFIans,
Namaste!

I have modeled a simple beam and a simple frame in ANSYS with solid element. Unlike 2D elment (Line Body) analysis, I am unable to genrate the Bending Moment Diagram (BMD) or Bending values in beam for solid elments.

Anyone having experience on similar work please respond.

regards,
Pulkit

Structure Details:
Beam:
Beam = 230mm x 300mm, L= 3m, Fixed at Both end
Load = 10 kN/m UDL on beam
Material = M20

Frame:
Beam = 230mm x 300mm, L= 3m
Column = 230mm x 300mm, H = 3m
Load = 10 kN/m UDL on beam
Material = M20
PS: My discussion on ANSYS forum: https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/comment/123820#Comment_123820
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a generic view

Solid element , if modelled , provide output in form of stresses , as per Staad . BM is to be calculated manually.

Generally very thick beams are modelled as solid elements. But 230x 300 mm beams need be tackled as beam member which provide BM & SF diagrams straightaway.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid modeling in STAAD gives axial stresses, and not BM values, as intimated by Er.Vikramjeet. I modeled a simply supported  solid beam carrying UDL, inquisitively. Please note that roller support should be assigned at one end else, the results may look awkward. The maximum solid stress at the top and bottom fibres at mid span is found in very good agreement with that computed by simple bending theory (0.335 N/mm2 and 0.333 N/mm2 respectively).

ES Jayakumar
Pulkit Velani
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Vikram sir.

Just a generic view
Solid element , if modelled , provide output in form of stresses , as per Staad . BM is to be calculated manually. - vikram.jeet

I will try to model the same in STAAD. One of my friend has suggested me publication which compares the results of STADD and ANSYS. I need to go through it and I am sharing here for a larger benefit. (https://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jmce/papers/vol9-issue1/H0915778.pdf?id=7608)

Generally very thick beams are modelled as solid elements. But 230x 300 mm beams need be tackled as beam member which provide BM & SF diagrams straightaway.- vikram.jeet

True, I agree with you. After initial modelling of such a small beam (230x300) my plan is to model a thick and deep beam. And at that time I will be in need of bending moments at different lengths. Hence, I am carrying out this exercise.
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good , Er Pulkit Velani

Pl go through yr excercise on deep beam and share yr findings on sefi. Also pl see the posting from Er ES Jayakumar regarding solid modelling as well as results of solid models in accordance with bending theory.

Best wishes
Pulkit Velani
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jaykumar Sir: Thank you sir. I shall go through the attched file and get back to you for any discussion and clarification.

@Vikram sir: Sure, once I reach to conclusion I shall share the outcome at SEFI.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For deep beams under bending, simple bending theory is is not much compatible, I think. Strut and Tie approach is perhaps  more rational.

E S Jayakumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Evaluate my Model All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: