www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Welcome to the Discussion Forum for the "SEFI-GoD In

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI-GOD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aparnakanda at yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Welcome to the Discussion Forum for the "SEFI-GoD In Reply with quote

Dear All,

I agree that no service can be sustainable if given free for ever! Without getting into the discussion we have already had with Prof. Jain and Mr. Sanjay Jha in the first meeting of the members in June, I'd like to remind every one of two things:

1. That we had agreed to do the pilot study free of cost (service/consultancy), and the Government of Delhi would also help this group by giving us a number of buildings to experiment on. We had also discussed that these buildings would be lifeline buildings, so that the pilot study would possibly contribute to making them safer, they being the Government's priority. Once the group gets through the pilot, both the Government as well as the group would be more confident about future work. At this point, a meeting could be held to discuss how the Government would help the group to do further work, including a consensus on charges for such services, etc.

Above all, we must all remember that this is not just one more of your services, and like Prof. Mahesh Tandon said in the June meeting, this is a cause - and we are trying to reduce earthquake vulnerabilities in Delhi. So I request you all to wait for the list of buildings to be announced, and start work.... As Prof. Jain said, this will help you to learn, and will help the Government to gain confidence in this initiative. Eventually, this would help to create a healthy consulting environment.

2. That we agreed to limit ourselves for now, to assessment and retrofitting of buildings in this forum, this being our focus and urgent need. DDMA will soon start work on techno-legal issues, and will certainly give all of you a chance to voice your opinions which I am sure are of immense value to Delhi.

In the meantime, some of the numerous professional associations that you all belong to, have met officials at the Ministry of Home Affairs about various issues including the Engineers' Bill, and I am sure the inputs given are being considered seriously. I suggest that you discuss these important issues in the right forum.

Here, let us try and get the pilot study through, so we know we have made some headway, and can follow it up with serious, useful interventions. Pankaj has done his bit of hard work in compiling the objectives of the consortium initiative, as agreed upon in the June meeting.... and has circulated the link earlier. Let us read them again to see if we disagree...

Please let me know if you have any apprehensions.....

Best Regards,
Aparna

artsdesign@vsnl.net wrote:
Dear Aparna,
I agree with the comments that Sangeeta Wij has come up with.
I feel the observations should be taken up with GOI at the appropriate
level.

Regards,
I. S. OBEROI

Posted via Email
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI-GOD All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: