www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_hkumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Dear sir,

I too have a question regarding Load combinations.

In the combinations of 1.5(DL+EQ) and 0.9DL+1.5EQ what should be the mass of the structure to be taken for finding out EQ force? Is it the mass consisting of DL + 50% LL or only DL??

Generally in building design for arriving at EQ force, mass on the structure is taken to be deadload and a portion of live load. By taking this same EQ force for the combinations 1.5(DL+EQ) and 0.9DL+1.5EQ are we not making a mistake ? Since EQ force with only Dead load as the mass of the structure will be different from the EQ force with Dead load+portion of live load as the mass.

Also, while combining only DL and EQ it does not make sense for me to take an EQ force which is due to dead mass and live mass. May be my understanding of load combinations is not clear...

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 skjain.iitk wrote :
Quote:
Dear Colleagues:

I may mention that besides the load combinations listed below by Mr Varyani, the IS456 also requires that the structure should also be designed for 0.9DL + 1.5 EQ.

This clarification is needed just so that someone does not get the false impression that the load combination 0.9DL + 1.5 EQ is not of consequence. In fact, it does govern design of many elements in the typical building projects.

With best regards,

Sudhir k Jain
IIT Kanpur

Posted via Email
jiwajidesai
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) seismic mass Reply with quote

Yes, Hemanth, you are quite right. One has to consider that mass which contributes to the inertial effects during a particular EQ combination. If LL is not part of the combination, question of reducing it (by taking a portion of it) does not arise, as it is already equated to zero in this combination.  
This is a problem, when some engineers use identical lumped joint weights in primary EQ cases in STAAD, calculated using DL and LL, uniformly for all EQ combinations even not involving LL.  
Regards

Jiwaji Desai
Sr. GM (C & S)

WSP Engineering Services Ltd.

Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 12:47 PM
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Re: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations

Dear sir,

In the combinations of 1.5(DL+EQ) and 0.9DL+1.5EQ what should be the mass of the structure to be taken for finding out EQ force? Is it the mass consisting of DL + 50% LL or only DL??

Generally in building design for arriving at EQ force, mass on the structure is taken to be deadload and a portion of live load. By taking this same EQ force for the combinations 1.5(DL+EQ) and 0.9DL+1.5EQ are we not making a mistake ? Since EQ force with only Dead load as the mass of the structure will be different from the EQ force with Dead load+portion of live load as the mass.

Also, while combining only DL and EQ it does not make sense for me to take an EQ force which is due to dead mass and live mass. May be my understanding of load combinations is not clear...

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
sdec.in
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Dear hemant
Pl go thru the Part-V of IS-875 which clearly states that the portion of live load to be considered for EQ Load Combinations, will also be considered while working out the seismic weights.
i.e. if 50% LL is being considered for Combinations of EQ, it shall also be 50% LL and DL while working out the seismic weights.In fact DL and LL both will be existing while the EQ may strike, and that's why LL(or a part of it) is considered as well, while calculating Joint weights. The proportions for combinations during EQ are based on extensive research and only then are adopted by BIS Committees; maybe Dr Jain may like to give some more explanation about it.

Best regards
Sangeeta Wij
[quote] ----- Original Message -----
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)

Dear sir,

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
ak.singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Please dont mark any mails to this id as I am not the concerned person. I work for IDBI Bank and recently got this mail id from my company.

Regards,
Alok Kumar Singh,
Assistant Manager,
Retail Asset Collections,
Chapel Road, Hyderabad.
Quote:
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 02:01 PM

Yes, Hemanth, you are quite right. One has to consider that mass which contributes to the inertial effects during a particular EQ combination. If LL is not part of the combination, question of reducing it (by taking a portion of it) does not arise, as it is already equated to zero in this combination.
This is a problem, when some engineers use identical lumped joint weights in primary EQ cases in STAAD, calculated using DL and LL, uniformly for all EQ combinations even not involving LL.
Regards

Jiwaji Desai
Sr. GM (C & S)
WSP Engineering Services Ltd.

Dear sir,

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
ak.singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Please dont mark any mails to this id as I am not the concerned person. I work for IDBI Bank and recently got this mail id from my company.

Regards,
Alok Kumar Singh,
Assistant Manager,
Retail Asset Collections,
Chapel Road, Hyderabad.

Dear sir,

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
u.mukesh
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Hello
He is talking about the combination involving Dead Load and Earthquake only.
This may be the case when building is complete but not occupied.

So the calculation of Earthquake loads should be done with Dead load only for
these combinations (1.5 or 0.9 DL+ 1.5EQ).

Regards
Mukesh Upadhyay
SNC-Lavalin

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:40 PM, forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
[quote]  Dear hemant
Pl go thru the Part-V of IS-875 which clearly states that the portion of live load to be considered for EQ Load Combinations, will also be considered while working out the seismic weights.
i.e. if 50% LL is being considered for Combinations of EQ, it shall also be 50% LL and DL while working out the seismic weights.In fact DL and LL both will be existing while the EQ may strike, and that's why LL(or a part of it) is considered as well, while calculating Joint weights. The proportions for combinations during EQ are based on extensive research and only then are adopted by BIS Committees; maybe Dr Jain may like to give some more explanation about it.

Best regards
Sangeeta Wij
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org) (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org))

Dear sir,

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

Posted via Email
pankaj.gupta
Diamond Sponsor
Diamond Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Dear All,

This was a hot topic of conversation in SEFI, sometimes in 2003, and if you search the archives you will find there was a lot of debate generated. But the net consensus (which is also the most logical and most obvious) reached after consultation with Prof Arya by Alpa, was that LL is NOT to be considered for calculating the joint weights for the load combinations in which LL was not considered, namely 1.5(DL+EL) and 0.9DL+1.5EL. For the combination DL+LL+EL, obviously the joint weights should include the required percentage of LL.

Regards

Pankaj Gupta

Roark Consulting
C 56A/27, Sector 62, NOIDA, UP, India
Phone (India) +91-120-426-2166 , +91-120-240-0356
(USA VOIP) +1-408-465-5245 (CA), +1-408-465-5246 (CA)
Fax (India) +91-120-240-0355
(US toll free) +1-888-791-0181
(UK) +44207-900-2964
Mobile +91-98114-37987
Web: http://www.roarkconsultants.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:40 PM

Dear hemant

Best regards
Sangeeta Wij
Quote:
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org) (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org))

Dear sir,

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
sdec.in
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Do you feel it will be more critical from design point of view?
Sangeeta
Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:52 PM

Hello
He is talking about the combination involving Dead Load and Earthquake only.
This may be the case when building is complete but not occupied.

So the calculation of Earthquake loads should be done with Dead load only for
these combinations (1.5 or 0.9 DL+ 1.5EQ).

Regards
Mukesh Upadhyay
SNC-Lavalin

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:40 PM, forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org) (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
Quote:
Dear hemant

Best regards
Sangeeta Wij
Quote:
From: p_hkumar (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)))
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org) (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)) (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)))

Dear sir,

Please Help....

Hemanth Kumar
Design Engineer,
NTPC Limited

Posted via Email
ishacon
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Dear All,

I think some things are being quoted out of context on this topic
and I am compelled to react.

To the best of my recollection, when CEAI organised a workshop
in 2003 ,on provisions of IS 1893-2002 and Prof Arya was invited
with some other members of the IS 1893 Committee, this issue was
discussed threadbare.
At no point in the workshop, did Prof Arya ever talk about
neglecting the LL components for computing the Seismic dead
weight, because the code is explicit in this regard.

As a matter of fact even the UBC 1997, vide Cl 1630.1.1, talks about
seismic dead load W being the total dead load and applicable portions
of other loads listed under 4 different categories.
The EQ loads are always calculated based on this seismic dead load W,
irrespective of its being used as DL + EQ or DL + LL+ EQ combination.

And all those who took the E course from IIT Kanpur may pls refer to the notes
given then for add'l explanation or to the Commentary / proposed revisions to
IS 1893by IITKanpur for GSDMA.

I can not accept that our knowledgeable writers of the CODE ,who have referenced
even UBC 1994, could ignore this important issue clearly spelled out in UBC.

With this I request Mr. S.C. Mehrotra and Dr. Jain , to clarify this point
after reviewing the proceedings of the Workshop organised by CEAI in 2003.

Regards,

V.P. Agarwal
ISHA CONSULTANTS (P) LTD
NEW DELHI

PH : 011- 2630 1158
(M) 93 1345 2180
(M) 98 6826 2759
ishacon@bol.net.in (ishacon@bol.net.in)
ishacon@rediffmail.com (ishacon@rediffmail.com)

Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:52 PM

Dear All,

This was a hot topic of conversation in SEFI, sometimes in 2003, and if you search the archives you will find there was a lot of debate generated. But the net consensus (which is also the most logical and most obvious) reached after consultation with Prof Arya by Alpa, was that LL is NOT to be considered for calculating the joint weights for the load combinations in which LL was not considered, namely 1.5(DL+EL) and 0.9DL+1.5EL. For the combination DL+LL+EL, obviously the joint weights should include the required percentage of LL.

Regards

Pankaj Gupta

Roark Consulting
(UK) +44207-900-2964
Mobile +91-98114-37987

Dear hemant

Best regards
Sangeeta Wij
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
JVCSNL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: ( DL + EQ ) Load Combinations Reply with quote

Dear All,

Intensity of earthquake load EQ is calculated only one time based on applicable seismic weight as defined in the code you refer.

The EQ load calculated based on this seismic weight is used in any combination, whether with DL only or with DL+LL. Under no circumstances, the seismic weight change and thus seismic mass.

Since, live loads are not likely to be present 100% during seismic event, some reduced LL is suggested by almost all codes of practice. However, when you design your building, you never know in which portion of building the LL is present.

In lateral load resisting system, especially columns and bracing, DL contribution is known based on tributary area and it does not change. The vertical component is going to be same through out the life of the structure due to DL. However, if the same column is also part of lateral load resisting system, it will definitely share the EQ force based on the stiffness of column vs overall stiffness of lateral load resisting system. It shall be noted here that this column may not have contribution of vertical component of LL, as % of live load considered in seismic weight may be in other portion of the floor. Hence, if you see the system in global perspective, you would agree that 0.9DL+1.5EQ is logical combination to verify the uplift or minimum vertical load with maximum lateral load condition.

Hope this clarifies the reason behind unique EQ load based on only one seismic weight.

Regards,

Jignesh Chokshi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
forum@sefindia.org 05-08-2008 >>>

Dear All,

I think some things are being quoted out of context on this topic
and I am compelled to react.

To the best of my recollection, when CEAI organised a workshop
in 2003 ,on provisions of IS 1893-2002 and Prof Arya was invited
with some other members of the IS 1893 Committee, this issue was
discussed threadbare.
At no point in the workshop, did Prof Arya ever talk about
neglecting the LL components for computing the Seismic dead
weight, because the code is explicit in this regard.

As a matter of fact even the UBC 1997, vide Cl 1630.1.1, talks about
seismic dead load W being the total dead load and applicable portions
of other loads listed under 4 different categories.
The EQ loads are always calculated based on this seismic dead load W,
irrespective of its being used as DL + EQ or DL + LL+ EQ combination.

And all those who took the E course from IIT Kanpur may pls refer to the notes
given then for add'l explanation or to the Commentary / proposed revisions to
IS 1893by IITKanpur for GSDMA.

I can not accept that our knowledgeable writers of the CODE ,who have referenced
even UBC 1994, could ignore this important issue clearly spelled out in UBC.

With this I request Mr. S.C. Mehrotra and Dr. Jain , to clarify this point
after reviewing the proceedings of the Workshop organised by CEAI in 2003.

Regards,

V.P. Agarwal
ISHA CONSULTANTS (P) LTD
NEW DELHI

PH : 011- 2630 1158
(M) 93 1345 2180
(M) 98 6826 2759
ishacon@bol.net.in (ishacon@bol.net.in) (ishacon@bol.net.in (ishacon@bol.net.in))
ishacon@rediffmail.com (ishacon@rediffmail.com) (ishacon@rediffmail.com (ishacon@rediffmail.com))

Quote:
From: pankaj.virmani (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:52 PM

Dear All,

Regards

Pankaj Gupta

Roark Consulting
(UK) +44207-900-2964
Mobile +91-98114-37987

From: sdec.in (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)))
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org) (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)) (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)))

Dear hemant

Best regards
Sangeeta Wij
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: