www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

design of flat slabs- suitable software packages

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.gangadharan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: design of flat slabs- suitable software packages Reply with quote

Dear Dr. M.Kalgal

During the e-conference on flat slabs, in your reply to mr. Alok's question ,regarding the use of 'ADAPT' software for analysis and design of flat slab buildings, you have replied that there are 'other software packages  with IS modules fitted in' .
I wish to know from you which are the other softwares which are preferred by consultants  with specific guidance for distribution of lateral load forces between  shear walls and columns? Please give  a list  popular and easy to use software packages which are good for analysis & design of flat slab structures, in your experience.
Another thing I wish to emphasize is that  during the  course of the discussions many speakers were pointing out the  Indian codes does not contain proper directions and guidance  and enough provisions to enable one to carry out a proper analysis and design of flat slabs and  lacks provisions for a safe design of flat slab structures and they therefore use ACI codes for this purpose.
ACI codes contain many practical  provisions for a safe analysis and design of flat slab structures and in that case Is there any objections in using softwares with ACI modules for designing flat slab projects in indian context.
Please give clear clarification in this matter.The other moderator  dr. Rai from IIT kanpur can also offer his remarks in the matter

with warm regards

Gangadharan.K
structural consultant
Rajiv
Diamond Sponsor
Diamond Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: design of flat slabs- suitable software packages Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Gangadharan:

The software for flat slab design which is exceptional for ease in use and robustness is SAFE. This is available in India through CSI's local office in Delhi and it is not expensive.

Regards

Rajiv

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 8:30 AM
Subject: [SEFI] design of flat slabs- suitable software packages

Dear Dr. M.Kalgal

During the e-conference on flat slabs, in your reply to mr. Alok's question ,regarding the use of 'ADAPT' software for analysis and design of flat slab buildings, you have replied that there are 'other software packages with IS modules fitted in' .
I wish to know from you which are the other softwares which are preferred by consultants with specific guidance for distribution of lateral load forces between shear walls and columns? Please give a list popular and easy to use software packages which are good for analysis & design of flat slab structures, in your experience.
Another thing I wish to emphasize is that during the course of the discussions many speakers were pointing out the Indian codes does not contain proper directions and guidance and enough provisions to enable one to carry out a proper analysis and design of flat slabs and lacks provisions for a safe design of flat slab structures and they therefore use ACI codes for this purpose.
ACI codes contain many practical provisions for a safe analysis and design of flat slab structures and in that case Is there any objections in using softwares with ACI modules for designing flat slab projects in indian context.
Please give clear clarification in this matter.The other moderator dr. Rai from IIT kanpur can also offer his remarks in the matter

with warm regards

Gangadharan.K
structural consultant

Posted via Email
anujdalvi
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: design of flat slabs- suitable software packages Reply with quote

Dear Friends,
I have designed an RCC structure which has a sitting space with a slab at double height,Now it was required by architecture that the sitting hall which is having max width of 14.50 m to be designed free of any columns,So for this span I have a beam of 300 x 1000 mm supported on 500 x 500 mm columns.We have ensured that no equipments are positioned on the slab panel adjacent to this configuration.We follow BS codes,ACI also is reffered and I have checked for servicibility as per both.I also happen to do a staad model to ensure a deflection of just 26 mm as against a value of L/500 permissible.
What I believe is that softwares like Etabs or Orion consider concrete to be purely elastic,as concerns the deflection the contribution of reinforcements is ignored ( probably).Now can any one discuss their expiriences with such span designs in past,also in case you adopted any different approach which you can share.

Thanks and Regards,
Anuj R Dalvi.

On 1/30/09, assekg <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
  Dear Dr. M.Kalgal

During the e-conference on flat slabs, in your reply to mr. Alok's question ,regarding the use of 'ADAPT' software for analysis and design of flat slab buildings, you have replied that there are 'other software packages with IS modules fitted in' .
I wish to know from you which are the other softwares which are preferred by consultants with specific guidance for distribution of lateral load forces between shear walls and columns? Please give a list popular and easy to use software packages which are good for analysis & design of flat slab structures, in your experience.
Another thing I wish to emphasize is that during the course of the discussions many speakers were pointing out the Indian codes does not contain proper directions and guidance and enough provisions to enable one to carry out a proper analysis and design of flat slabs and lacks provisions for a safe design of flat slab structures and they therefore use ACI codes for this purpose.
ACI codes contain many practical provisions for a safe analysis and design of flat slab structures and in that case Is there any objections in using softwares with ACI modules for designing flat slab projects in indian context.
Please give clear clarification in this matter.The other moderator dr. Rai from IIT kanpur can also offer his remarks in the matter

with warm regards

Gangadharan.K
structural consultant

Posted via Email
ibarua
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: design of flat slabs- suitable softw Reply with quote

1/2/2009

1.  Calculation of deflection has obviously to be done for service loads only.

2.  Sectional properties will be computed using gross concrete section only; contribution of rebars may be safely ignored.

3. Use of computer software without understanding basics of structural response and without understanding the basic principles and assumptions of the software is not advisable. Software is written by humans and is therefore subject to human error.

Indrajit Barua.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 anujdalvi wrote :
Quote:
Dear Friends,
I have designed an RCC structure which has a sitting
space with a slab at double height,Now it was required
by architecture that the sitting hall which is having
max width of 14.50 m to be designed free of any columns,
So for this span I have a beam of 300 x 1000 mm
supported on 500 x 500 mm columns.We have ensured that
no equipments are positioned on the slab panel adjacent
to this configuration.We follow BS codes,ACI also is
reffered and I have checked for servicibility as per
both.I also happen to do a staad model to ensure a
deflection of just 26 mm as against a value of L/500
permissible.
What I believe is that softwares like Etabs or Orion
consider concrete to be purely elastic,as concerns the
deflection the contribution of reinforcements is
ignored ( probably).Now can any one discuss their
expiriences with such span designs in past,also in case
you adopted any different approach which you can share.

Thanks and Regards,
Anuj R Dalvi.

On 1/30/09, assekg <forum@sefindia.org
(forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
Dear Dr. M.Kalgal

During the e-conference on flat slabs, in your reply
to mr. Alok's question ,regarding the use of 'ADAPT'
software for analysis and design of flat slab buildings,
you have replied that there are 'other software
packages with IS modules fitted in' .
Quote:
I wish to know from you which are the other softwares
which are preferred by consultants with specific
guidance for distribution of lateral load forces
between shear walls and columns? Please give a list
popular and easy to use software packages which are
good for analysis & design of flat slab structures, in
your experience.
Quote:
Another thing I wish to emphasize is that during the
course of the discussions many speakers were pointing
out the Indian codes does not contain proper directions
and guidance and enough provisions to enable one to
carry out a proper analysis and design of flat slabs
and lacks provisions for a safe design of flat slab
structures and they therefore use ACI codes for this
purpose.
Quote:
ACI codes contain many practical provisions for a
safe analysis and design of flat slab structures and in
that case Is there any objections in using softwares
with ACI modules for designing flat slab projects in
indian context.
Quote:
Please give clear clarification in this matter.The
other moderator dr. Rai from IIT kanpur can also offer
his remarks in the matter
Quote:

with warm regards

Gangadharan.K
structural consultant

Posted via Email
mkalgal
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Gangadharan,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I do not get time to browse this very interesting site everyday.

Most of the software that I knew of were capable of carrying out floor by floor analysis of flat slabs in the presence of Prestress, that too for gravity loads only. In addition to ADAPT FLOOR and SAFE from CSI(which claims to take into consideration lateral loads also), CEDRUS-5 from CUBUS (http://www.cubus.co.in), Post Tension India Pvt. Ltd, Vadodara have Indian Codes built in. NISA Civil was also working on a PT sub-routine. You may kindly check with CRANE Software India on this.

As has been discussed many times, the flat slab is treated purely as a diaphragm transferring lateral load effects to members capable of handling them like shear walls and core walls. The floor by floor analysis software gives the shear and moment at column locations due to gravity loading, which are inputted as joint forces in frame analysis to get at the actual values under different load combinations. Additional HYSD bars are added at each location to aid PT forces in handling the final forces/moments under ULS and SLS cases.

Well, I am out of touch with design of PT flat slabs for some time now and might have become outdated already!! I stand corrected if my statements above are not true now.

Regards

Dr. M. R. Kalgal
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: