www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

construction systems..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> E-Conference 1st June 2003
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpa_sheth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: construction systems.. Reply with quote

Dear Arvind,

I assume you are talking of PEBs (Pre-engineered buildings) in steel since you talk about MBMA (MEtal building manufacturer's association),. I was surprised by your initial statement "In case your client and you are very sure that you want the building
as per IS: Standards, the PEB Manufacturer's have to accept the same."
DO we have a choice in this? Aren't IS codes mandatory in most cities as per their DC rules?

I would like to discuss the growing trend to use imported tunnel form shuttering and /or aluminium walls and slab shuttering. VEry often in these projects, the shear walls are quite closely spaced say at 2.8m c/c. Also quite often, min thickness of 150 mm as per IS 13920 is not conformed to. The gravity loads may perhaps not require it but it is a moot question whether they should follow the IS 13920 code for lateral loads, even if  125 mm thick walls suffice for gravity loads.
I think the ACI is less stringent and allows for a thickness of 140mm. Perhaps the next revision of IS 13920 should look into this and have a special provision for min. thickness where the axial stress ratio is less than say 0.15 or 0.2
Dr Sudhir Jain and other IS 13920 COde Committee members may want to look into this!!!
Regards,
Alpa

eondes@sify.com
wrote

Posted via Email
alpa_sheth at vsnl.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: construction systems.. Reply with quote

Dear Arvind,

I assume you are talking of PEBs (Pre-engineered buildings) in steel since you talk about MBMA (MEtal building manufacturer's association),. I was surprised by your initial statement "In case your client and you are very sure that you want the building
as per IS: Standards, the PEB Manufacturer's have to accept the same."
DO we have a choice in this? Aren't IS codes mandatory in most cities as per their DC rules?

I would like to discuss the growing trend to use imported tunnel form shuttering and /or aluminium walls and slab shuttering. VEry often in these projects, the shear walls are quite closely spaced say at 2.8m c/c. Also quite often, min thickness of 150 mm as per IS 13920 is not conformed to. The gravity loads may perhaps not require it but it is a moot question whether they should follow the IS 13920 code for lateral loads, even if  125 mm thick walls suffice for gravity loads.
I think the ACI is less stringent and allows for a thickness of 140mm. Perhaps the next revision of IS 13920 should look into this and have a special provision for min. thickness where the axial stress ratio is less than say 0.15 or 0.2
Dr Sudhir Jain and other IS 13920 COde Committee members may want to look into this!!!
Regards,
Alpa

eondes@sify.com
wrote

Posted via Email
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> E-Conference 1st June 2003 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: