www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Structural Engineers Meet-Up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to have a meet-up in your City..??
Yes, I'd like to
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
No, I'm not interested
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

DVJy
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Structural Engineers Meet-Up Reply with quote

How about we start 'Structural Engineers Meet-Up' in respective cities..
It will help us to know more people from our field increasing opportunities for everyone...
We have many Senior Members in our forum who can help juniors in Structural engineering field, also they can find good resources in such meetups..
We have more than 8500 members right now, If 10 to 15 members showed up in a city meet-up there will be good conversation & if 1 or 2 of them are senior members it will be better..

Think about it..
umeshrao

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineers Meet-Up Reply with quote

DVJy wrote:
It will help us to know more people from our field increasing opportunities for everyone...
We have many Senior Members in our forum who can help juniors in Structural engineering field, also they can find good resources in such meetups..
We have more than 8500 members right now, If 10 to 15 members showed up in a city meet-up there will be good conversation & if 1 or 2 of them are senior members it will be better..

Think about it..

Dear DVJy,
     Association of Consulting Civil Engineers is an all India organisation,started 25 years back and has members all over India. At Bangalore we meet for a technical evening every 4th Thursday. We also conduct study circle meet on a topic. Mumbai has large number of members,I think about 80 or so. Names you are familiar with are Dr.N.Subramanian , Mr. Rangarajan, LK Jain, Sudhir Badami and host lot of them.
     Indian association of Structural Engineers also has very strong presence in Mumbai. Members Ms.Alpa and lots of them are members.
     All of them are contributing to the fraternity by sharing experience,knowledge etc.
     Probably a person needs to tale initiative to organize such meets. Legwork and logistics has to be taken care of. Fixing of venue and generating revenue towards expenses for such a meet is crucial, if this activity is to be sustained.
     From ACCE atleast in Bangalore, we have made repeated appeal in last 25 years to educational institutes in Karnataka to allow us to address students twice a month on Saturdays for 6-8Hrs on each day. During this session the focus will be on design or field aspects. And at no time cost to any resource person,but no avail,so far.
     I had made an attempt in 1983 onwards for almost 3 years. On every Sunday of the year, I use to conduct free classes for 4 hours for design and detailing of RCC and Structural Steel for young engineers. To my dismay some times not a single person use to turn up. And all cost was born by me, including coffee and snacks.
     I am not discouraging you and fully appreciate your thoughts. I subscribe to your views very strongly.
     I thought of sharing my experience with you in this posting,so as the modus operandi can be worked out.
     Wishing you all the best.
     Regards Umesh Rao
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Engineers Meet-Up Reply with quote

Hi All,

I would like to appreciate my friend Er Umesh B. Rao, for his efforts to educate young engineers. It is really pathetic that he is not getting the required response, though he is spending lot of his time, money and efforts. In fact not many seniors are willing to share their knowledge. I salute Er Umesh for doing an Yeomen service to the society. May his tribe thrive!

I take this opportunity to request once again for all the members of this forum to become members of ACCE (India) and ICI, (Though Instn. Engrs. (India) membership may also be useful, I think it is not very useful for Civil engineers). The membership fee is not much. But you will have the benefit of attending the meetings, read the journals, etc.

Best wishes,
Subramanian
umeshrao wrote:
DVJy wrote:

Think about it..

Dear DVJy,
     Association of Consulting Civil Engineers is an all India organisation,started 25 years back and has members all over India. At Bangalore we meet for a technical evening every 4th Thursday. We also conduct study circle meet on a topic. Mumbai has large number of members,I think about 80 or so. Names you are familiar with are Dr.N.Subramanian , Mr. Rangarajan, LK Jain, Sudhir Badami and host lot of them.
     Indian association of Structural Engineers also has very strong presence in Mumbai. Members Ms.Alpa and lots of them are members.
     All of them are contributing to the fraternity by sharing experience,knowledge etc.
     Probably a person needs to tale initiative to organize such meets. Legwork and logistics has to be taken care of. Fixing of venue and generating revenue towards expenses for such a meet is crucial, if this activity is to be sustained.
     From ACCE atleast in Bangalore, we have made repeated appeal in last 25 years to educational institutes in Karnataka to allow us to address students twice a month on Saturdays for 6-8Hrs on each day. During this session the focus will be on design or field aspects. And at no time cost to any resource person,but no avail,so far.
     I had made an attempt in 1983 onwards for almost 3 years. On every Sunday of the year, I use to conduct free classes for 4 hours for design and detailing of RCC and Structural Steel for young engineers. To my dismay some times not a single person use to turn up. And all cost was born by me, including coffee and snacks.
     I am not discouraging you and fully appreciate your thoughts. I subscribe to your views very strongly.
     I thought of sharing my experience with you in this posting,so as the modus operandi can be worked out.
     Wishing you all the best.
     Regards Umesh Rao
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,

SEFI, along with others associations works towards common goals. Its a value chain where together we stand.

As pointed out by Umesh Rao Sir and Dr. N.S. Sir, there already exist apportunities to interact at next higher level and that adds much more value which can not be realised in online interaction.

We should encourage people to network among them selves find common grounds and evolve in ways and means to take professional networking to next level of social networking utilising existing apportunities to the fullest.

If SEFI can help in any way for achieving the same, we shall be glad to do all that within our scope and permitted by resources here.

Please do suggest any action plan and mission to that effect for improved and higher level of communication that leads to stronger community of likeminded intellectuals. All suggestions welcome for SEFI to evolve and improve the platform so that it remain vibrant and relevant in days to come.

Best regards

Sanjeev Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
umeshrao

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="admin"]Dear Sirs,

Dear Mr. Sanjeev,
Thanks for the post and a very positive response.
     I will write may be after some time on this issue.
     SEFI site is probably the best site among all institutes, associations etc from India. Having been a member of most of this Associations, Institutes,----, SEFI's strength is a fantastic accessibility even to a remotest place in India.
     One possible way utilizing the strength of SEFI  for benefit of all is to appeal all these associations to come forward and utilise the well developed facilities.Most of these organisation have web sites which requires hugh uplift as on today for interactive postings. Using this platform may be we can see how organisation activities can be increased in any place.
     We [SEFI] can utilise to bring all civil engineers together and charge fees to these organisations. And these organisations do not need to reinvent and invest on the wheels again.
     Regards Umesh Rao
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Umesh Rao Sir,
Its was nice to see your suggestion on how we can utlise existing resources to the fullest without re inventing the wheel by other organisation sharing common goals.

I would wait to hear more from you and other sefians on this aspect. Such thoughts indeed work towards future of SEFIs role for engineeing community and society at large.

With best regards

Sanjeev Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prakash H M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected Gentlemen,<xml><o></o>
<o></o>
I am really happy to see that at least someone has initiated this request and I have been thinking about this for at least 1 year. Now I can feel that "Great Minds thinks alike". <o></o>
<o></o>
I would like to take some liberty and share my views and experience regarding this issue. These are my own views and I am trying to dot the i's and cross the t's. <o></o>
<o></o>
Very recently, just 2 weeks back, I joined for a course on Advanced Staad Pro Course offered from CADD Center Bangalore and I was extremely disappointed. The teacher/trainer claimed to know everything at the beginning and said he trains corporate members but eventually failed to answer very basic questions. <o></o>
<o></o>
To setup anything or start something new, I believe there should be a vision/mission/goal and then have the right people to take it up. <o></o>
<o></o>
The Problem<o></o>
There are a lot of issues that are handled differently here in India compared to advanced countries. Engineers in India are sold to the Big Brands like IIT's and IISC and REC's. If someone other than an IITian or a PhD is offering a training class in India, it might not be a success. Anything with the IIT tag is perceived to be as perfection/know it all. I am not the great/best Engineer but I have found that even M.Tech graduates from IIT's donít know how to calculate the required area of steel and detail after getting moments from the Staad Output. Few engineers have confidence after graduating. <o></o>
<o></o>
There could be many organizations like ACCE or ICI or any other institute, but the real issue is that you just cannot get too technical in such seminars. In such seminars, most of time is spent in hobnobbing or catching up with an old friend.  <o></o>
<o></o>
These days mentoring in a Structural Engineering office sounds like history and this could be because of various reasons. <o></o>
<o></o>
There is a lot of interest in the youth these days to learn different things and some want to learn it REAL FAST. <o></o>
<o></o>
A lot of Computer training centers are offering coaching classes but i think they are ideal for the beginners. <o></o>
<o></o>
A meeting place is needed for someone in between (the middle) to gain that extra/additional but much needed knowledge. <o></o>
<o></o>
Current Status of SEF India<o></o>
There are numerous industry experts/engineers here who are humble and offering advise to younger engineers. They are really doing a great service by being a mentor or a coach VIRTUALLY. I think it is about time to take this to the next level by meeting in REAL as suggested. I believe, there is so much scope for improvement and one of the best ways to achieve is to have an organization like structure...simple words...GO Corporate. And I believe we can find many people from this forum who may be willing to take part. <o></o>
<o></o>
Suggestions<o></o>
1.  Make a SEF India national chapter and start at least 5 regional chapters in major cities, may be - Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad <o></o>
2. Appoint/Elect a Chairman, core committee of members for each chapter who can identify volunteers to be a part of this.<o></o>
3. Identify the real need to meet in person. I think the most popular subject on SEFIndia is Modeling in STAAD, interpreting the results and be able to design and detail for various types of structures. So, SEFIndia should identify individuals (different segments like bridges/tall buildings/power plants) who are willing to go to a location and train the youth live. ALL THIS SHOULD BE DONE FOR A FEE but reasonable priced. There is no free Lunch!<o></o>
4. Identify on similar hot topics in demand and invite experts who can really TRAIN the younger engineers. <o></o>
<o></o>
I can list more but donít want to bore the audience or take more time of yours. <o></o>
<o></o>
What I can Offer?<o></o>
I can offer a space to meet at least for 10-15 people in my basement, to start with.<o></o>
<o></o>
I am hoping that more people will start thinking alike and participate too.  <o></o>
<o></o>
Regards,<o></o>
Prakash<o></o>
Prakash H M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected Gentlemen,<xml><o></o>
<o></o>
I am really happy to see that at least someone has initiated this request and I have been thinking about this for at least 1 year. Now I can feel that "Great Minds thinks alike". I would like to take some liberty and share my views and experience regarding this issue. These are my own views and I am trying to dot the i's and cross the t's. <o></o>
<o></o>
Very recently, just 2 weeks back, I joined for a course on Advanced Staad Pro Course offered from CADD Center Bangalore and I was extremely disappointed. The teacher/trainer claimed to know everything at the beginning and said he trains corporate members but eventually failed to answer very basic questions. <o></o>
<o></o>
To setup anything or start something new, I believe there should be a vision/mission/goal and then have the right people to take it up. <o></o>
<o></o>
The Problem<o></o>
There are a lot of issues that are handled differently here in India compared to advanced countries. Engineers in India are sold to the Big Brands like IIT's and IISC and REC's. If someone other than an IITian or a PhD is offering a training class in India, it might not be a success. Anything with the IIT tag is perceived to be as perfection/know it all. I am not the great/best Engineer but I have found that even M.Tech graduates from IIT's donít know how to calculate the required area of steel and detail after getting moments from the Staad Output. Few engineers have confidence after graduating. <o></o>
<o></o>
There could be many organizations like ACCE or ICI or any other institute, but the real issue is that you just cannot get too technical in such seminars. In such seminars, most of time is spent in hobnobbing or catching up with an old friend.  These days mentoring in a Structural Engineering office sounds like history and this could be because of various reasons. There is a lot of interest in the youth these days to learn different things and some want to learn it REAL FAST. A lot of Computer training centers are offering coaching classes but i think they are ideal for the beginners. A meeting place is needed for someone in between (the middle) to gain that extra/additional but much needed knowledge. <o></o>
<o></o>
Current Status of SEF India<o></o>
There are numerous industry experts/engineers here who are humble and offering advise to younger engineers. They are really doing a great service by being a mentor or a coach VIRTUALLY. I think it is about time to take this to the next level by meeting in REAL as suggested. I believe, there is so much scope for improvement and one of the best ways to achieve is to have an organization like structure...simple words...GO Corporate. And I believe we can find many people from this forum who may be willing to take part. <o></o>
<o></o>
Suggestions<o></o>
1.  Make a SEF India national chapter and start at least 5 regional chapters in major cities, may be - Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad <o></o>
2. Appoint/Elect a Chairman, core committee of members for each chapter who can identify volunteers to be a part of this.<o></o>
3. Identify the real need to meet in person. I think the most popular subject on SEFIndia is Modeling in STAAD, interpreting the results and be able to design and detail for various types of structures. So, SEFIndia should identify individuals (different segments like bridges/tall buildings/power plants) who are willing to go to a location and train the youth live. ALL THIS SHOULD BE DONE FOR A FEE but reasonable priced. There is no free Lunch!<o></o>
4. Identify on similar hot topics in demand and invite experts who can really TRAIN the younger engineers. <o></o>
<o></o>
I can list more but donít want to bore the audience or take more time of yours. <o></o>
<o></o>
What I can Offer?<o></o>
I can offer a space to meet at least for 10-15 people in my basement, to start with. I am hoping that more people will start thinking alike and participate too.  <o></o>
<o></o>
Regards,<o></o>
Prakash<o></o>
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prakash,
Thanks for valuable ideas. I think if we could move towards it, it could indeed help achieve SEFI , its mission more realistically and reach would be further enhanced.
We will move this topic to General section so its circulated via email to members and see what others suggest,

Thank you indeed for putting together wonderful ideas.

Regards

Sanjeev Kumar
Prakash H M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Mr.Sanjeev.

If you decide to move forward, please do let me know so that I can involve myself as best as I can.

Regards,
Prakash
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: