www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Raft design

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goyallc
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Raft design Reply with quote

I have modelled a raft using plate mat  in STAAD Pro and got certain values of base pressure.
After increasing the thickness of raft, keeping all other conditions like loads and supports same, the base pressure get modified and the base pressure values are less for higher thickness of raft.

I want to know, whether Safe bearing capacity should be checked against base pressure?
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friend,

In my opinion bearing pressure should not increase. Try to send your STAAD files, so that I will check the reason for same.

You can compare bearing pressure in STAAD against Gross allowable bearing pressure.

Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that there is a separate program from STADD by name STAAD FOUNDATION is to be used for best results for foundation. Instead of bearing pressure use modulus of subgrade reaction for the support.

T.Rangarajan.
ankitvaibhava
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirumalaichettiar wrote:
Hope that there is a separate program from STADD by name STAAD FOUNDATION is to be used for best results for foundation. Instead of bearing pressure use modulus of subgrade reaction for the support.

T.Rangarajan.

Sir My problem is that in my soil report I have only Bearing capacity and not subgrade soil modulus. So how do I use Bearing Capacity in Staad Foundation.
pls reply me at ankitvaibhava@gmail.com
gpsarathyy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Ankit,

To use SBC in the STAAD file, you can use the following method.
SBC x area of element / allowable settlement (this will give you a spring value KN/m)
which shall be used in the STAAD as spring support.
Here the complication, based on each element size or contributing area we have to modify the spring value whereas if you use subgrade modulus, this is not required. It is taken care by software itself.

This shall be used in the absence of Subgrage modulus only. If subgrade modulus available it is easy and better to go with the subgrade modulus.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: