www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

stringer beam design

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mofizahmed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: stringer beam design Reply with quote

I need your (all SEFI  member) help,

I want to design a staircase where the steps will be resting on the stringer  beam ,the steps will be a cantilever on both side of the beam (0.71 m projecting on either side of the beam),
I don't know my design is right or not.what i did is that i have designed the steps as simple cantilever slab with length as 0.71 m (i.e Ly=0.71m) and breadth i.e tread of stair as 0.3 m (i.e Lx=0.3 m).Depth is assumed as 100 mm.
while designing this slab i took b also =300  mm i.e 0.3 m instead of 1000 mm i.e generally considered for designing any type of slab i.e i have designed the slab for a width of 0.3 m instead of per metre and have designed the beam as simply supported with load as given by the slab.

Please tell me what i did is right or not.
Please suggest any changes that is needed to be made.
If any one have any example then please provide it to me.

Thanks in advance.
B.V.Harsoda
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem in design method. In this case detailing is important.Detailing shown in SP 34 page 145 Fig. 10.2 is not good. Detailing shown in book "Limit State Design of Reinforced Concrete " by P. C. Varghese  Ch. 20 is good as anchorage of step with beam is important.

Best Wishes,

B. V. Harsoda
akjhacpwd
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Stringer Beam design Reply with quote

Dear friend
The depth of cantilever slab may be kept varying also, say 100 mm at beam and 60 mm at free end . It looks good.  But before fixing of railing some vibration may be there.
ahujavipul
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Stringer Beam design Reply with quote

Apart from the usual bending in the stringer beam also do consider torsion due to pattern loading--ie one side of staircase is loaded with live load. This is a commonly overlooked design condition.

Regards

Vipul Ahuja

<!--Session data-->

<!--Session data-->
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: