www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Software Development (Open Source)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Open Source Software Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Ganti,

Thanks for the specification document. As I don't use STAAD for RCC design, I would request you please also to upload a relevant STAAD file for this work.

I would be glad to contribute towards building up our very own FE software, but am constrained by not knowing enough programming for a large project.

As far as speed of development is concerned, we should not expect too much, because everyone has his or her own work to attend to, and this open source project can be at most a side interest. However, this is not a reason to be disappointed either. If we can set modest initial goals (for example, build up a solver without graphical pre/ post processing facilities first), we can have slow but steady incremental progress.

Regards,

Mumbai
revanwaghode
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,
I have few suggestions for extracting output from staad.
1)Column:There should be sequence before making staad model.after making a model one should do following things.Node renumbering.Beam Renumbering,Column Renumbering.Column should be renumbered in continuou way.I mean for column from foundation to roof( C1- say no of floor 5 including plinth-number as 1 to 6 then second column starting from origin left to right sequence).This will help in generating report.Also The staad gives guiding load case along with respective actions.This also should be extracted in the report.
Col NO/Level/ size/ L/C /Fy/ Mx/ Mz/ Fx/ Fz/ Astreqd Astprovd/Bar Comb/detail
C1-
bar comb& details hould be kept blank and should be provided by user to submit to drft end.

Same from beam numbering floor wise.

Regards

Abhay
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Software Development (Open Source) Reply with quote

Dear Mr Ganti

Appreciate your zeal to serve the civil/structural engg community.Being a civil engineer and
programmer, you have definite advantage to develop a World class software .

Following must join in venture for generating the desired software

(i) Experienced & practicing structural engineers
They are well aware of the varied requirements

(ii) Hard-core designers( Those having started career in design itself)

(iii) Academicians/Research Scholars (Structural Engg)

(iv) Other Programmers ( for mutual consenting)

I think you may start the venture and others would definitely join and contribute.

Best of luck  

vikramjeet

My personal interest is also the same, I want to contribute back to the Civil Engineering community through programs as I am programmer By Choice and Civil Engg. by profession, I am having to lie low because the programming language chosen is Python which I have no Idea of it.
Dear every body,
I do not know how useful this program will be but,
I have developed the above program myself for my company but due to commercial interest of my company I will not be able to make it an Open Source, However I can make that part of the program a Freeware, I do not know if I am allowed to give the link or not but anybody interested can give a private message in this forum I will send the link.
I am still open to have it developed as Open Source if I can get 1 or 2 guys who know Delphi / C# / C++ , but again licensing the compilers will be an issue as those are not available free.

regards
ganti

-- ญญ

Posted via Email
sakumar79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if VB, C++ or Java is chosen as program language, there might be marginally better response in call to programmers... I have decent knowledge in all three and though I am rusty and have a hectic schedule, I think I can put in atleast a couple of hours a week to help...

Most of us would have learnt one or more of the above languages during our engineering courses whereas there may be only very few with knowledge of python even if it is easier to use...

VB and VC++ are available with IDE for free by MS now through Express Edition (has all required features and no restriction on even commercial development of software)... There are good IDEs for Java, but it is better if all of the co-developers use the same IDE to get consistent code format...

Maybe we can run a poll on which language people will be able to work with...

Of course, to start it off, we will need a good (and free) lexer to start with.... I think there are some for C++ and Java but may not be for VB...

Also, coordinating with different people working on different parts of the code at different pace from different parts of India/world is also going to be a headache...

Just my thoughts...

Arun
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !!!
I am surprised, this is a miracle I never expected people to begin actively participate in a healthy discussion on this matter (did i annoy   some of the esteemed members in one of my previous posts ?   )

well regarding the language, I do agree that we should have a POLL on this I personally prefer C# or C++ (it is ages since i have written a code on this but again you never will forget to ride a bicycle !!)

regarding managing large project, I have around 18+ years experience in programming ONLY for civil engineering and I can spend few hrs per week (not every day) on the project to GUIDE the programmers and get things done. for those who want to see my works pl visit  (it is just a show case)

http://www.zaxises.com/rcbeamdetailer.htm

Coordinating many guys should not be a major issue if we have a good source control programs like SVN (that is again an open source), where there will be 2 or 3 branches of the code development and read only versions, in read only versions ONLY few people will have right to commit that way who ever is doing that will be responsible for that. and in the general developer versions an authorized developer can commit and after the work is done on that module it will be moved to the trunk.

regarding lexer I already have a lexer in C# / Delphi (again that is an open source) and I am sure we can re-write them in C++   ( VB is NOT A GOOD language in my view for technical programming again that is my personal view)

Last but not the least, if this gets going and mid way I am sure some we will have some company willing to invest in terms of man power (that is the max required at the moment) to get the project robust etc and who know my company may be one of them God willing I will surely if i see an good response.

Just a gentle remainder IBM officially has a dedicated team that develops and enhances Linux, Gmail was a started as a pet project in google, there are tonnes of software there which are open source and with very little or no contributions from a Major software power like India (even Ukraine contributes more than India !!!) for those interested in reading garbage about open source

http://brie.berkeley.edu/publications/wp140.pdf

let us make a small step to change that trend that we are FREE USERS rather than contributors.

sorry if i have offended anybody by this, but that is a hard feeling in me every time i see an open source code, i feel the need to contribute back to the community.

regards
ganti
Rudra Nevatia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Software Development (Open Source) Reply with quote

On needs to be careful about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) development without a revenue model as it requires a large community of passionate programmers for sustainability. 

And I agree with Vikramjeet. Domain experts have a big role to play in engineering software development.

Regards,
Rudra Nevatia

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM, someshwar ganti <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
Wow !!!
I am surprised, this is a miracle I never expected people to begin actively participate in a healthy discussion on this matter (did i annoy  [Image: http://www.sefindia.org/forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif ] some of the esteemed members in one of my previous posts ? [Image: http://www.sefindia.org/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif ]  )

well regarding the language, I do agree that we should have a POLL on this I personally prefer C# or C++ (it is ages since i have written a code on this but again you never will forget to ride a bicycle !!)

regarding managing large project, I have around 18+ years experience in programming ONLY for civil engineering and I can spend few hrs per week (not every day) on the project to GUIDE the programmers and get things done. for those who want to see my works pl visit  (it is just a show case)
http://www.zaxises.com/rcbeamdetailer.htm]www.zaxises.com/rcbeamdetailer.htm%20%3Cbr%3E%3CB%3E]http://www.zaxises.com/rcbeamdetailer.htm

Coordinating many guys should not be a major issue if we have a good source control programs like SVN (that is again an open source), where there will be 2 or 3 branches of the code development and read only versions, in read only versions ONLY few people will have right to commit that way who ever is doing that will be responsible for that. and in the general developer versions an authorized developer can commit and after the work is done on that module it will be moved to the trunk.

regarding lexer I already have a lexer in C# / Delphi (again that is an open source) and I am sure we can re-write them in C++   ( VB is NOT A GOOD language in my view for technical programming again that is my personal view)

Last but not the least, if this gets going and mid way I am sure some we will have some company willing to invest in terms of man power (that is the max required at the moment) to get the project robust etc and who know my company may be one of them God willing I will surely if i see an good response.

Just a gentle remainder IBM officially has a dedicated team that develops and enhances Linux, Gmail was a started as a pet project in google, there are tonnes of software there which are open source and with very little or no contributions from a Major software power like India (even Ukraine contributes more than India !!!) for those interested in reading garbage about open source

http://brie.berkeley.edu/publications/wp140.pdf

let us make a small step to change that trend that we are FREE USERS rather than contributors.

sorry if i have offended anybody by this, but that is a hard feeling in me every time i see an open source code, i feel the need to contribute back to the community.

regards
ganti

Posted via Email
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Abhio,
  find an ANL file which can be used as an example to extract the data,
if you want any help on how the format is Please ask me I will help you in this
or even better perhaps write a generic Class structure for anybody to convert to language of their choice.

Dear readers of this postings

we need some participation from you (either through providing proper input files, or suggesting the requirements are right or not, or willing to check the program  ?)

regards
ganti
<Session>
Leenusk
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: EXCEL PROGRAM FOR GETTING COLUMN AND BEAM RESULTS FROM STAAD Reply with quote

Dear Someshwar ganti

I love to program in Excel and have developed few applications for civil engineers (especially in designs).

One such file is herewith attached which will extract the column and beam reinforcements from Staad analysis output file to Excel.

This tool has been of a great help to me all these days.

Now I would like to share with everyone so that precious time of engineers can be utilized elsewhere.

No need to run for new softwares and waste our time.  However knowing the latest trends in software is always a good idea.

I expect users also to contribute the same to automate the daily routine works of Design professionals so that our efforts can be minimized and efficiency be improved.

Thanks and Regards,

Eshwar. K.
bijay sarkar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Konkati,

Very nice to see that you have already developed this program and uploaded the same here. But this discussion was continuing for open source software. Is it possible for you to open the source code so that if any other wants to work on the same to further develop it, he can do it.

with regards,

bijay sarkar
hsrai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: EXCEL PROGRAM FOR GETTING COLUMN AND BEAM RESULTS FROM S Reply with quote

eshwar.konkati wrote:

One such file is herewith attached which will extract the column and beam reinforcements from Staad analysis output file to Excel.

It is always good to see such work

eshwar.konkati wrote:

Now I would like to share with everyone so that precious time of engineers can be utilized elsewhere.

No need to run for new softwares and waste our time.  However knowing the latest trends in software is always a good idea.

I expect users also to contribute the same to automate the daily routine works of Design professionals so that our efforts can be minimized and efficiency be improved.

Very nice views.

However, when we talk about sharing, things needed to be in unrestricted form. Files needed to be in format so that everyone can access its content.

I could not access contents of workbook attached with your message. I opened it in OpenOffice, and it showed me message, which is shown as attachment with this post. It talks about restriction, and tell that it will ONLY open in MS_Office 2003. So, such sharing limits its impact. I am not using Microsoft's products and will not use in future. Would like to see your file. Is there any way that I can use your files in OpenOffice?

OpenOffice happily open MSoffice files. I don't know the reason, for not opening your file. If you have placed some special restrictions, may I request you to send me by removing those restrictions on my email hardeep.rai@gmail.com  

Hoping for more sharing of knowledge.

With regards,

--
H.S.Rai
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Open Source Software Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: