www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

STAAD. PRO
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: STAAD. PRO Reply with quote

I presume there are engineers like me in this forum who are not conversant with STAAD.PRO operation.

But I am sure there are experts available in this forum who are quite conversant with STAAD.PRO.
For benefit of novices like me, Will somebody write step by step method of operating STAAD.PRO right from model generation,loading and design.

Example of a building  will suffice.

Any volunteer ?!

Please  come forward.

I know it is time consuming and requires considerable efforts.

Still I am hopeful that somebody will come forward.

Thankful People
17 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
bijay sarkar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Mallick,

This is really a good proposal not only for novices, but also for experts. Methodology for generating a model and subsequently giving input to the STAAD differs from person to person. If ideas are exchanged, good one will evolve which will be benificial to the already users also. I will also sometimes participate in it.

with regards,

bijay sarkar
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: STAAD. PRO Reply with quote

After opening STAAD software whose latest version is STAADV8i following options are available.
1)”Project task” which includes
a)New project
b)Open project
c)Open from filewise
d)configuration
e)Backup manager
f)Liscence management
A begineer may use New project option and after he gains some momentum he can try out with other options..
3)Recent file  
4)Liscence configuaration

Under liscence configuration all international codes are given.User need to select the code with which he will design and for every code there is a liscense required…Also in this column one option is there which is called “Advance STAAD engine” …Please note activating this facility liscence need to be obtained for Bentley by paying extra cost for this…The advantage of this facility is that it reduces the time required for analysis and numerous degree of freedom of a structure are involved…This facility reduces the zeros in the stiffness matrix there by saving time required for analysis…

Modelling
Next comes the modeling option..Different people have different ways of modeling…
After selecting the type of frame one is interested…which includes plane,space,floor and truss,model can be created in following ways,

1)In pulldown menu of STAAD in Geometry option one has the option of  “Run structural wizard”..One can model the structure using this..

2)By typing the coordinates nodes can be created which later can be connected by members to form a frame..

3)Also there are options like copy(by clicking right click of mouse) and in pulldown menu “geometry option where “translational repeat command” is there..which also can be used to create a model..
After creating the model support specification needs to be given to the structure…for which support command can be used…

Next step involve defining the property which can be done using property dialog box..wherein there is option of “Define”  “section database” and user table.Define command is generally used for RCC structure and database contains all standard steel section of different counties..However if we have any buildup structure ..this property can be given using “user table”..
Next steps involves “Applying the load”
Load command has many options
a)Member load
b)Joint load
c)Floor load
d)Hydrostatic load etc..

Next load combination needs to be done…
Analysis

After applying the load..user need to give the command “perform analysis” followed by “Run analysis”…

After this analysis is done ..one can check support reaction,bending moment ,shear force ,deflection etc…

Please note this is just a beginning..There are many other aspect..like applying seismic load,wind load,moving load,time history load,P delta analysis …once a user gains a momentum he can slowly proceed with this aspects…

Design
In design respective codes needs to be selected and following parameter needs to be applied depending on the suitably..

Designing parameter:

Parameter

Description

Name

FYM
AIN

Yield Stress for main reinforcing steel.

FYS
EC

Yield Stress for secondary reinforcing steel.

FC

Concrete Yield Stress.

CLE
AR

For beam members.
For column members

MINM
AIN

Minimum main reinforcement bar size.

MAXM
AIN

Maximum main reinforcement bar size.

MINS
EC

Minimum secondary reinforcement bar size.

MAXS
EC

Maximum secondary reinforcement bar size.

BRA
CING

BEAM DESIGN

A value of 1.0 means the effect of axial force will be taken into account for beam design.

COLUMN DESIGN

A value of 1.0 means the column is unbraced about major axis.
A value of 2.0 means the column is unbraced about minor axis.
A value of 3.0 means the column is unbraced about both axis.

RAT
IO

Maximum percentage of longitudinal reinforcement in columns.

RFACE

A value of 4.0 means longitudinal reinforcement in column is arranged equally along 4 faces.
A value of 2.0 invokes 2 faced distribution about major axis.
A value of 3.0 invokes 2 faced distribution about minor axis.

WIDTH

Width to be used for design. This value defaults to ZD as provided under MEMBER PROPERTIES.

DEPTH

Total depth to be used for design. This value defaults to YD as provided under MEMBER PROPERTIES.

TRACK

BEAM DESIGN:
For TRACK = 0.0, output consists of reinforcement details at START, MIDDLE and END.
For TRACK = 1.0, critical moments are printed in addition to TRACK 0.0 output.
For TRACK = 2.0, required steel for intermediate sections defined by NSECTION are printed in addition to TRACK 1.0 output.
COLUMN DESIGN:
With TRACK = 0.0, reinforcement details are printed.
With TRACK = 1.0, column interaction analysis results are printed in addition to TRACK 0.0 output.
With TRACK = 2.0, a schematic interaction diagram and intermediate interaction values are printed in addition to TRACK 1.0 output.
With TRACK = 9.0, the details of section capacity calculations are printed.

REINF

Tied column. A value of 1.0 will mean spiral reinforcement.

ELZ

Ratio of effective length to actual length of column about major axis.

ELZ

Ratio of effective length to actual length of column about major axis.

ULY

Ratio of unsupported length to actual length of column about minor axis.

ULZ

Ratio of unsupportd length to actual length of column about major axis.

TORSION

A value of 0.0 means torsion to be considered in beam design.

A value of 1.0 means torsion to be neglected in beam design.

SPSMAIN

Minimum clear distance between main reinforcing bars in beam and column. For column centre to centre distance between main bars cannot exceed 300mm.

SFACE

Face of support location at start of beam. It is used to check against shear at the face of the support in beam design. The parameter can also be used to check against shear at any point from the start of the member.

EFACE

Face of support location at end of beam. The parameter can also be used to check against shear at any point from the end of the member. (Note: Both SFACE and EFACE are input as positive numbers).

ENSH

Perform shear check against enhanced shear strength as per Cl. 40.5 of IS456:2000.

ENSH = 1.0 means ordinary shear check to be performed ( no enhancement of shear strength at sections close to support)

For ENSH = a positive value(say x ), shear strength will be enhanced upto a distance x from the start of the member. This is used only when a span of a beam is subdivided into two or more parts. (Refer note )
For ENSH = a negative value(say –y), shear strength will be enhanced upto a distance y from the end of the member. This is used only when a span of a beam is subdivided into two or more parts.(Refer note)
If default value (0.0) is used the program will calculate Length to Overall Depth ratio. If this ratio is greater than 2.5, shear strength will be enhanced at sections (<2d) close to support otherwise ordinary shear check will be performed.

RENSH

Distance of the start or end point of the member from its nearest support. This parameter is used only when a span of a beam is subdivided into two or more parts.

Next design beam and column option needs to be given..
Please note while modeling one uses “Global coordinate axis” and the results are in “Local coordinate axis”.This convention are given in STAAD help menu…

In a nutshell STAAD involves the following
Creating a structural model. This consists of generating the structural geometry, specifying member properties, material constants, loads, analysis and design specifications, etc
·      Visualization and verification of the model geometry
·      Running the STAAD analysis to perform analysis and design
·      Verification of results - graphically and numerically
·      Report generation and printing

The best way of learning STAAD is through help menu of STAAD…….STAAD is a user friendly package and graphical user interface of STAAD is superb

Hope this helps
Regards,
S.Adhikari

P.K.Mallick wrote:
I presume there are engineers like me in this forum who are not conversant with STAAD.PRO operation.

But I am sure there are experts available in this forum who are quite conversant with STAAD.PRO.
For benefit of novices like me, Will somebody write step by step method of operating STAAD.PRO right from model generation,loading and design.

Example of a building  will suffice.

Any volunteer ?!

Please  come forward.

I know it is time consuming and requires considerable efforts.

Still I am hopeful that somebody will come forward.
P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected Sukanta Sir,

Thanks for your prompt response.
What I request you little elaboration.

You may take couple of more sessions.
But please explain the steps just like a mini manual restricting to a building with shear wall provision.

Warm Regards.

gauravmaroo
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: STAAD HELP Reply with quote

Greetings to ALL
The attached files may be helpful in present discussion.

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
staadPresentation1.ppt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  staadPresentation1.ppt
 Filesize:  648.33 KB
 Downloaded:  16190 Time(s)

Use online scanners
CanalCrossing.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CanalCrossing.pdf
 Filesize:  282.04 KB
 Downloaded:  7146 Time(s)

Use online scanners
Tips and Tricks for using STAAD.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Tips and Tricks for using STAAD.doc
 Filesize:  31.5 KB
 Downloaded:  15942 Time(s)

thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Staad
1.How to make arches and other curved shapes in Plan and elevations?

2. How to provide a polygonal or circular or oval shape opening in floor slabs since many times Architects/Clients want high raise floor(opening in the upper floors0?

I can send answers as I know in the next postings. Or if any one suggests it s welcome.

I want somebody to start on Etab also which was initiated long before.

T.Rangarajan.
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to my previous posting pl.find the following attachments. More information will follow.

NOTE:
THE VERSION OF STAAD PRO  is  STAAD PRO 2006.

T.Rangarajan.

Last edited by thirumalaichettiar on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
fugeeo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: POWER OF STAAD Reply with quote

INDEED, STAAD IS VERY POWERFUL.  PREVIOUSLY, I HAD ACCESS TO STAAD, AND NEED TO BUILD IN ORDER TO ACCOMPLISH THE ACCESS AGAIN.

HOWEVER, I WILL ELUCIDATE A FEW POINTS THAT STAAD HAS ADVANTAGES WITHIN.  

STAAD FIRST OF ALL, HAS A GOOD GRAPHICAL INTERFACE, BUT THE PRIMARY VALUE IN STAAD IS THE EASE OF THE DOCUMENTED INPUT FILE WHICH CAN BE USED OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

NAMELY THE INPUT FILE ALLOWS FOR THE STEP BY STEP PLACEMENT OF THE NODES, AND THE ELEMENTS, THE SHELLS/MEMBRANES, BOUNDARY CONDITIONS, LOADS, ETC.  

IE, THE FILE HAS HEADERS WHICH DEFINE EACH SECTION, NODES, MEMBERS(ELEMENTS), BOUNDARIES, LOADS, LOAD COMBINATIONS, AND THESE ARE DEFINED AS SUCH

1 10.0 12.0 0.0 ; 2 10.0 12.0 10.0; ETC. FOR A CANTILEVER 10' TALL.

COMMENTING MAY BE INSERTED.

MEMBERS MAY THEN BE DEFINED

1 1 2 ; FOR ONE ELEMENT GOING FROM NODE ONE TO NODE TWO.

ETC.

MATERIALS
1 CONC FC 3000 GAMMA 150

GENERALLY FOR MATERIALS THEN, AND BOUNDARY ELEMENTS, THERE IS THE DEFINITION, AND THEN A LIST OF ELEMENTS OR NODES TO WHICH THESE APPLY.

LOADS
DEAD
1 [DIRECTION] 100 K ;

LIVE
1 [DIRECTION] 80 K ;

WHAT IS BEST ABOUT STAAD IS THE GENERATION OF LOADS.  STAAD HAS THE CAPACITY TO GENERATE LOADS BASED ON THE MASSES IN THE SYSTEM, AND IT INVOLVES THE CURRENT CODE DEVELOPMENT, HENCE IT HAS ENGINES FOR WHEEL LOADS, EARTHQUAKE LOADS, AND WIND LOADS.  THESE ARE THE BEST ENGINES AVAILABLE.

AND STAAD'S CLEANUP CAPABILITY IS ALSO THE BEST.  WITH RUNTIME ROUTINES TO CLEANUP THE MISMATCHES.

RISA IS NECK AND NECK, PERHAPS STRONGER GRAPHICALLY, BUT STAAD'S CROSS-PROGRAMMER ABILITY IS MUCH FASTER.

ZHEN SHAN REN
fugeeo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: POWER OF STAAD Reply with quote

PS, I USE VISUAL ANALYSIS. AND IF ANYONE WANTS TO WORK WITH ME IN STAAD, IN EXCHANGE FOR THE PROGRAM, I WOULD GLADLY TAKE ON AN ASSISTANCE AGREEMENT.

I RECOMMEND OPENSEES FOR EXPERIMENTERS/CONVERSANT COMPUTER PROGRAMMERS, WHICH I AM NOT.  OPEN SEES IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST INSTRUMENT FOR THE RESEARCH FIELD.
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be posted in one file.

Last edited by thirumalaichettiar on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 1 of 64

Jump to: