www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Article on TG foundation and effect of wind.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Article on TG foundation and effect of wind. Reply with quote

Dear SEFI Admin,

I have written two articles  which I would request you to upload in the article column of the SEFI forum.The details of the articles are as follows.

1) Turbogenerator foundation.

This paper deals with the design of a turbogenerator foundation for a thermal power plant. The paper  aims to cover certain critical aspect in design of turbogenerator foundation with respect to IS 2974(Part 3)-1992 and other  international standards.
2) Effect of wind on structure.
This paper is focussed on the dynamic behavior of wind and its effect on the structure.

Readers are requested to give their comment to further improve the article..
Regards,
S.Adhikari

Posted via Email

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
Effect_of_wind_on_structure.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Effect_of_wind_on_structure.pdf
 Filesize:  44.07 KB
 Downloaded:  10003 Time(s)

Use online scanners
TG_foundation_.PDF
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TG_foundation_.PDF
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Downloaded:  42126 Time(s)

badamsundararao

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: T G FOUNDATIONS Reply with quote

Dear friend

First let me congratulate you for your presentation. It is very good and informative. If possible add One or two workings so that it will be more attractive and more useful.

Badam sundara rao.
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: TG FOUNDATIONS Reply with quote

Dear badamsundararao sir,

Thanks for ur support,

Since the static and dynamic analysis of turbogenerator foundation(table top)  is done using software particularly GT STRUDL,so i did not included it in the article..

In absence of GT STRUDL,same type of analysis is carried out in STAAD ignoring dynamic soil structure interaction..

An application example for the same is posted by me earlier as per the following link,

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Regards,
S.Adhikari

badamsundararao wrote:
Dear friend

First let me congratulate you for your presentation. It is very good and informative. If possible add One or two workings so that it will be more attractive and more useful.

Badam sundara rao.
k.gangadharan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Request to upload the article in SEFI forum Reply with quote

Dear S Adhikari

Regarding machine foundation design, I have posted some clarifications from you; and it is in the site. Please try to go thru it and provide your comments
regards

K. Gangadharan

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM, sukanta.adhikari <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear SEFI Admin,

I have written two articles  which I would request you to upload in the article column of the SEFI forum.The details of the articles are as follows.

This paper deals with the design of a turbogenerator foundation for a thermal power plant. The paper  aims to cover certain critical aspect in design of turbogenerator foundation with respect to IS 2974(Part 3)-1992 and other  international standards.
This paper is focussed on the dynamic behavior of wind and its effect on the structure.
Kindly upload the attached file as these are  the latest one.I have send the same article before also.Kindly superceede those.
Regards,
S.Adhikari

Posted via Email
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Request to upload the article in SEFI forum Reply with quote

Dear sir,

Can you please provide the link where you have put those querry..I will try to answer ur querries.

Regards,
S.Adhikari

k.gangadharan wrote:
Dear S Adhikari

Regarding machine foundation design, I have posted some clarifications from you; and it is in the site. Please try to go thru it and provide your comments
regards

K. Gangadharan

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM, sukanta.adhikari <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
            Dear SEFI Admin,

I have written two articles  which I would request you to upload in the article column of the SEFI forum.The details of the articles are as follows.

This paper deals with the design of a turbogenerator foundation for a thermal power plant. The paper  aims to cover certain critical aspect in design of turbogenerator foundation with respect to IS 2974(Part 3)-1992 and other  international standards.
Kindly upload the attached file as these are  the latest one.I have send the same article before also.Kindly superceede those.
Regards,
S.Adhikari

Posted via Email
k.gangadharan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear s.adhikari
I am attaching the clarifications required below.
You can also refer sefindia digest dated 8th october under the link forum me.
A reply will be most welcome

K.Gangadharan
structural consultant

dear  S. adhikari

I have gone thru the article on machine foundations. posted by you.
I have a few questions to you  about the machine foundations?
You have given a number of reference books and Indian and foreign codes, for design of machine foundations Of course they are good references ,
Congratulations.;.but most of the books are foreign publications ,A few books by Indian authors are also there; they are  published outside India.
I have some books on machine foundations and only have limited knowledge about this topic.
The books I have are. the handbook by P. Srinivasulu and C.V. Vaidyanathan., Soil dynamics and Machine foundations by Sami Saran
and foudation analysis  and design by Bowles. In another book I possess is '' Foundation design Manual', By Narayanan Naik, One chapter  in this book is devoted to
foundations subjected to Dynamic Loading You have discussed machine foundations with raft foundatios resting on soil.
We have a problem where the soil is very poor: upto . 10 meters depth it is clayey soil with N values 3,4, etc with high Water table.
Soft rock is available after 14 meters depth only. For the design of  a diesel generator  Building we have to adopt pile foundations.
None of the books deal with generator Building with pile foundations. Nayak's book mentions about pile foundations ; but does not deal  
how to solve such a problem with a worked example. Can you please mention any other book, which deals with piled foundations for generator foundations.
Also IS 2974 Part iii says that the design should be carried out by working stress method.
Limit state design was introduced in IS 456 long back in 1978 and this code 2974 was reaffirmed in 1992. Why not we design the structural members using limit state method?
Can you suggest any other book from your references which deals with pile foundation for rotating machines,
Srinivasulu's book also does not deal with piled foundation for machines.
I shall be thankful if you can suggest a book that deals with  piled foudation for generator buildings and how to model such a building and check amplitude and frequencies
as per code ..

regards
K. Gangadharan
structural consultant. . . .. . .  .
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sir,

You may refer following books for machine foundation on piles:

1) Foundation for machines:Analysis and design by Samsher Prakash and Vijay Puri

2) Dynamics of structure and foundation-a unified approach by Sambhu das gupta and Indrajit Chowdhury

Few days before I have provided a list of Indian and foreign books on machine foundation ..the link is
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28895&highlight=#28895

The first book is a classical book and the second book deals with both classical and software application.

Since to simplify our analysis procedure we can consider the turbogenerator table top foundation column to be fixed at  the top of raft and hence dynamic soil structure interaction(DSSI) can be ignored.However static soil structure interaction(SSSI) is considered for carrying out static analysis.

But however if you want to analyse ur foundation system with piles for dynamic analysis... u can study the above mentioned book and extend ur studies for foundation of  rotary machine also.or else u can treat ur foundation as fixed base problem ignoring DSSI
Please note IS 2974 does not specify any values of permissible amplitude..u have to refer the values provided by the machine manufacturer..and in absence of same ISO 10816 may be referred.

It appears to me that the desiel generator is mounted in a structure.If this is the case you can even manage ur analysis using STAAD by carrying out  time history method.. in absence of specialized software like GT STRUDL.. but you have to ignore DSSI.

It will be useful if u can upload the GA drawing and whatever best I can I will do.

And regarding Working stress method for design of foundation..I think if the code is revised now they will surely allow Limit state method.

Regards
S.Adhikari

k.gangadharan wrote:
dear s.adhikari
I am attaching the clarifications required below.
You can also refer sefindia digest dated 8th october under the link forum me.
A reply will be most welcome

K.Gangadharan
structural consultant

dear  S. adhikari

I have gone thru the article on machine foundations. posted by you.
I have a few questions to you  about the machine foundations?
You have given a number of reference books and Indian and foreign codes, for design of machine foundations Of course they are good references ,
Congratulations.;.but most of the books are foreign publications ,A few books by Indian authors are also there; they are  published outside India.
I have some books on machine foundations and only have limited knowledge about this topic.
The books I have are. the handbook by P. Srinivasulu and C.V. Vaidyanathan., Soil dynamics and Machine foundations by Sami Saran
and foudation analysis  and design by Bowles. In another book I possess is '' Foundation design Manual', By Narayanan Naik, One chapter  in this book is devoted to
foundations subjected to Dynamic Loading You have discussed machine foundations with raft foundatios resting on soil.
We have a problem where the soil is very poor: upto . 10 meters depth it is clayey soil with N values 3,4, etc with high Water table.
Soft rock is available after 14 meters depth only. For the design of  a diesel generator  Building we have to adopt pile foundations.
None of the books deal with generator Building with pile foundations. Nayak's book mentions about pile foundations ; but does not deal  
how to solve such a problem with a worked example. Can you please mention any other book, which deals with piled foundations for generator foundations.
Also IS 2974 Part iii says that the design should be carried out by working stress method.
Limit state design was introduced in IS 456 long back in 1978 and this code 2974 was reaffirmed in 1992. Why not we design the structural members using limit state method?
Can you suggest any other book from your references which deals with pile foundation for rotating machines,
Srinivasulu's book also does not deal with piled foundation for machines.
I shall be thankful if you can suggest a book that deals with  piled foudation for generator buildings and how to model such a building and check amplitude and frequencies
as per code ..

regards
K. Gangadharan
structural consultant. . . .. . .  .
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: