www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Need the new topics in steel Structures for the Phd work

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gajendra.kurki
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Need the new topics in steel Structures for the Phd work Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
I am Gajendra Kurki, complited M.Tech(structural engg) in july 2010. I am interested to continue my studies, now i am searching the advanced research topics in the field of steel structures. Please refer me topics for the thesis work. I need  guide who guide me for the work in Bengaluru.

Thanks & regards
Gajendra Kurki
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need the new topics in steel Structures for the Phd wor Reply with quote

Dear Er Kurki,

Before doing Ph.D. a word of advice. It will be better if you get some experience and then select a topic from your experience. Moreover Ph.D.s  are not paid any better than M.Techs. May be it is good for you to read the article published in The economist(www.economist.com/node/17723223). Unless you want to enter Universities, where Ph.D. is the min. qualification for Asst. Professor, doing Ph.D. may be over-qualification for other jobs. Also note that job openings in Universities, colleges and Research labs are limited. Moreover doing research is very tough and you should be prepared for many sleepless nights and it takes about 4-5 years to complete.

Now coming to your question, since you are in Bengaluru, you may visit Indian Institute of Science- which is one of the top Univ. in India. I am not sure who is doing work on Steel structures there. It is better to fix your guide and think of the research subject in consultation with him. There are several areas in which you may do research. Buckling restrained frames, Steel plate shear walls, Prequalified seismic connections, behaviour of  Base plate connections for combined AF and MF,  Connection design using hollow sections, etc are some of the currect research topics. I also suggest you to read Engg. Journal of AISC, Int. Journal of Steel structures(www.ijoss.org), Journal of Constructional Steel Research, etc. to get some more info.

Hope it helps.
Best wishes
Subramanian

gajendra.kurki wrote:
Dear Sir,
I am Gajendra Kurki, complited M.Tech(structural engg) in july 2010. I am interested to continue my studies, now i am searching the advanced research topics in the field of steel structures. Please refer me topics for the thesis work. I need  guide who guide me for the work in Bengaluru.

Thanks & regards
Gajendra Kurki
gajendra.kurki
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need the new topics in steel Structures for the Phd wor Reply with quote

drnsmani wrote:
Dear Er Kurki,

Before doing Ph.D. a word of advice. It will be better if you get some experience and then select a topic from your experience. Moreover Ph.D.s  are not paid any better than M.Techs. May be it is good for you to read the article published in The economist(www.economist.com/node/17723223). Unless you want to enter Universities, where Ph.D. is the min. qualification for Asst. Professor, doing Ph.D. may be over-qualification for other jobs. Also note that job openings in Universities, colleges and Research labs are limited. Moreover doing research is very tough and you should be prepared for many sleepless nights and it takes about 4-5 years to complete.

Now coming to your question, since you are in Bengaluru, you may visit Indian Institute of Science- which is one of the top Univ. in India. I am not sure who is doing work on Steel structures there. It is better to fix your guide and think of the research subject in consultation with him. There are several areas in which you may do research. Buckling restrained frames, Steel plate shear walls, Prequalified seismic connections, behaviour of  Base plate connections for combined AF and MF,  Connection design using hollow sections, etc are some of the currect research topics. I also suggest you to read Engg. Journal of AISC, Int. Journal of Steel structures(www.ijoss.org), Journal of Constructional Steel Research, etc. to get some more info.

Hope it helps.
Best wishes
Subramanian

gajendra.kurki wrote:
Dear Sir,

Thanks & regards
Gajendra Kurki
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: